EX1 for sport shooting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 for sport shooting

I was going to purchase an HPX170 when they become available this fall but the more I read about the EX1's features and see footage from it the more I'm thinking about getting it instead. I shoot a lot of 720p60 & 720p24 with over crank and had an HVX the last time I did that kind of work so I'm familiar with it's strengths. I'm just wondering how the footage will hold up for example when shot from a moving chase boat handheld with the BG going by and a wakeboarder moving towards and away from the cam. I'm expecting BG blur but I'm worried the rider part of the image may get funky as well.

The skateboarding examples I've seen look fine vs the HVX but I don't think those were handheld and certainly not from a boat. It's been my experience that given enough boat movement even an HVX becomes scrambled but I'm getting the sense that the EX1 does it a little sooner/differently and when it does break it's bad. I just can't seem to find any footage that's similar to what I want to do with it that I can watch and say OK it will work for me. Part of the problem is the new HPX is not available and I need to start shooting in Sept. I have shot what I described above in HDV and had reasonably OK results except for the obvious hdv motion artifacts and lousy slomo.

I'm hoping someone can point to some examples or give me their take on the above.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Dykmans View Post
It's been my experience that given enough boat movement even an HVX becomes scrambled
That's not possible because the HVX uses an I-frame-only-format and each frame gets the same amount of memory, so fast scenes should look even better than steady ones, because of the motion-blur there's less detail to reconstruct.
But perhaps this 11.25°-shutter-ex1-example helps:
http://www.dominik.ws/water.mov
(format is AppleProRes)
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure that's a good comparison for what I'm worried about. In that shot the codec only has to deal with movement in a small part of the frame. What I'm talking about is handholding a camera in a moving boat, tracking a moving rider with the BG going by at 25+ MPH. The BG blur is of no consequence however unless it really breaks up. there is some airshow footage shot from a plane posted somehere that I keep hearing about.
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Dykmans View Post
In that shot the codec only has to deal with movement in a small part of the frame.
Please watch the WHOLE clip, because I'm zooming to the bubbles. ;)
(right-click on the link and select "save as...")
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I don't have a link handy, but Sony has a .wmv file
of an EX1 mounted in a stunt plane. The pilot
pulls 10Gs and the camera looks great. It's 1080i so you won't see the progressive-specific issues but you can see that the 35mbps codec holds up fine with high motion.

Look on Sony's XDCAM site.
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #6
New Boot

If you care to see some of the footage I shot from the air, here's a link to that.
www.principalphoto.com/mxs
John Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Whoa, John, that is some STUNNING aerial footage! Once the plane was in flight, I was blown away! I'm sitting there watching it and enjoying the background beauty too and wondering where it was shot, and then I thought, hey that looks familiar and I then noticed Cascade Lake in the background, and then Emerald Bay. Looks like you had a perfect day above Lake Tahoe!

Question... how did you keep the footage so still in the air? It's rock solid. Congrats on some fantastic scenes!
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik Seibold View Post
Please watch the WHOLE clip, because I'm zooming to the bubbles. ;)
Busted! thanks that was helpful once I watched it all!

John: Great stuff! Was that Donner lake in one of those shots?

I haven't heard one person who owns the EX complain about it, that's usually a good sign.
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #9
New Boot

Hi Buck,

We did have a very blissful day actually. I was really nervous on this shoot as there was a lot of vibration from the fuselage to worry about. Honestly, all I did was rest a tripod on top of foam rubber, and I was stunned with the result. No gyros at all, and a true testament to the IS function on the EX1.

I see we're darn near neighbors. I have an office in Carmichael. Did you like the the timing on the boat in Emerald Bay? I forget the name of the paddlewheeler there, but it was really ideal timing as we flew over Emerald Bay to have that icon in there. I often wonder what it must have looked like to the people on that boat that day as we were doing our shoot.
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #10
New Boot

Hi Rich,

Thanks. I have also shot some wakeboarding with this camera, and I was pretty surprised with the quality from the EX1. I shot most of the wakebording in 720p24/60 and I also shot a lot in 720p60. The footage in each format was quite surprising. Backgound blurr yes, but no noticable rolling shutter issue, and the border was sharp as a tack. What I would like to do is shoot some wakebording from a helicopter!
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks John, that's was what I waiting to hear. WBing shot from a heli or a tube really does give a great perspective of the sport. A friend of mine got some great footage with an HVX mounted on a crane strapped to the bow of the chase boat, not a heli but the next best thing. Anyhow I doubt I'll get that ambitious with this next project.
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #12
Major Player

Yes, I'm in Lincoln right now but I lived in Carmichael about 5 years ago. I saw your location says Bend, OR so I wasn't expecting to see Lake Tahoe... pleasant surprise!

I would've bet you used a gyro on that footage... seriously, that is suh-weet and smooth!

I will be doing a lot of kayaking with my EX1... what do you use to protect your camera while wake boarding?
Buck Forester is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds