HELP! EX1 will not power up on BP battery - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:03 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
Absolutely nothing from B&H. This is a 30 day old camera. Sending to Sony Repair in San Jose tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Hey, yours can keep mine company. It's going for another visit today.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM   #17
Major Player

Thanks George. Got mine off via FedEx this afternoon, should be there Thursday. To be continued...
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #18
Major Player

Update: Camera arrived at Sony Repair in San Jose 10:30am today 6/25. I'll report back with progress. For the record, left a message with [dvinfo sponsor] B&H 6/23 regarding this defective (then 30 day old) camera they sold me, have still heard nothing back from them. I've bought mucho cameras, audio, monitors, etc etc from them over many years (including a mattebox that arrived today), not because they had the best price, but because they stood behind their goods. Now I'm rethinking that.

To be continued...
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
Update: Camera arrived at Sony Repair in San Jose 10:30am today 6/25.
Mine arrived at Sony 10:30 AM 6/24, on Sony's nickel. I bet yours get's back first though!
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #20
Major Player

I'd be amazed if B&H would do anything for you. I had my EX1 for two weeks and my dealer in Atlanta couldn't help me at all without having to eat the camera. They were as helpful as they could be, but mine would have needed to fail right there in the store before they would have replaced it for me. At that point, they would have to go to Sony to get a replacement. Basically, once it's out of their hands (B&H), you're on your own.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #21
Major Player

B&H is usually very proactive. I've had defective products from them twice before and they just replaced it, no problem. They actually finally returned my call from 6/23 about 10 minutes ago. Seems that when I had called, they had passed me around like a cheap bottle of wine and I landed at the wrong department. When I left a VM message, the guy was like WTF? So when he called today and I told him the camera was at Sony, he felt real bad and admitted they'd screwed up. He said if they don't resolve it to my satisfaction, call him back and he'll get the right person on the case.

And George - I had to pay $105 to ship mine w/$6500 worth of insurance.
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #22
Major Player

I never got the second guy at B&H, just "there's nothing we can do" from customer service. A promise to have someone in purchasing call me with their Sony rep contact info never happened either.

I had to pay a ton to ship mine the first time too, the insurance is expensive. Mine was a bit less using UPS ground, which was still next day to San Jose.

This time Sony service payed the shipping to return the camera for a second try.
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #23
Major Player

That's good to hear that B&H was (at least verbally) willing to cover you. I guess when you move as much Sony product as they do, Sony will help them out more than a smaller dealer like I bought from (Showcase in Atlanta). My UPS costs were also in excess of $110 when I discovered my lens problems. They covered the return shipping when they broke my camera while they were servicing it the first time. If it wasn't for bad luck......
Old June 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #24
Major Player

UPDATE: Although the camera arrived at Sony last Wednesday morning (6/25), when I called today (6/30) it had still "not been logged in" - which I assume means it's just sitting in receiving. Not encouraging. How about you, George?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:07 PM   #25
Major Player

Camera Returned From Sony

EX-1 returned today, in working order. Note says "replaced power board, replaced back panel, uploaded firmware to V1.05, fully tested."

How you doing, George? If you need to borrow mine, you're welcome to.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:14 PM   #26
Major Player

My string of bad luck is continuing. My focus system seems to have gone kaput. I can't focus to infinity and the FB backfocus adjustment routine isn't functioning right either. I have a call into San Jose but got voicemail. They might have taken off early for July 4th. I'm betting that Phil Bloom bloke has something to with this!! Down the British....up the Colonists!!!!
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:24 PM   #27
Major Player

You're right about the holiday - I spoke with them this morning and they said they were taking off early blah blah and that my camera probably wouldn't ship until Monday. Then of course it arrived a few hours later. So much for communication. Did you call 408-352-8282?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:35 PM   #28
Major Player

Also, Dave - being Irish-Americans, we have our American Flag, Irish Flag, and "Up the Brits" banners flying proudly. Rule Britannia my arse :)
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:36 PM   #29
Major Player

"8228", actually. The manager I spoke with was Wing Tseung when it was sent in to fix the stuff that THEY broke the first time it went in for service.....and now this! I'm SO over this camera. I've never spent this much money for a piece of gear and been this disappointed. I bought this camera April 30th and it's been to the shop twice already. When it got back the last time (lens replaced, ND filters replaced, battery drainage issue fixed, firmware updated, audio circuit that they broke repaired), the camera had officially been in their hands or FecEx's hands the same number of days that it had been in my hands.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM   #30
Major Player

The number I've been calling is "8282" (so Rainman, "...246 total...") - maybe you should try that one.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds