HELP! EX1 will not power up on BP battery at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fletcher Hills, CA
Posts: 211
HELP! EX1 will not power up on BP battery

Inserting 2 week old fully charged Sony BP-U60 and BP-U30 batteries - unit will not power up. It WILL power up fine using the power supply connected to DC in or either of 2 other batteries (Anton Bauer or Tekkeon) connected to DC in jack. I tried a full reset to see if there was some setting that got turned on but no change. Is there a fuse somewhere?
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Malta
Posts: 306
Try putting the batteries on charge even for just 30 minutes and try again. It seems that either the batteries have suddenly lost all their charge or maybe somehow they have shut down.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fletcher Hills, CA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
Try putting the batteries on charge even for just 30 minutes and try again. It seems that either the batteries have suddenly lost all their charge or maybe somehow they have shut down.
I'm charging the crap out of them and no go. They both show 19v+ with multimeter.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 762
19+ volts? Shouldn't they be closer to 12v?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Malta
Posts: 306
Ronn, I think 19V+ is a bit too much. Pro cameras can take up to 16V but 19V is pushing the limit. Did you try to take a reading from the AB or Tekkeon batteries following a full charge?
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fletcher Hills, CA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
Ronn, I think 19V+ is a bit too much. Pro cameras can take up to 16V but 19V is pushing the limit. Did you try to take a reading from the AB or Tekkeon batteries following a full charge?
They're both putting out 12-14volts. The Power Supply is putting out 12v. Now checking the sony batteries, they're up to 20-21v. They both show "full" 4 green lights when you push the "check" button. I wonder if my charger's screwie. I'm going to let them sit a few hours and see if they drop down to 14v and try em again.

I am dreading decending into B&H/Sony Warrantee Hell. Glad I checked it today instead of at the shoot tomorrow.

Last edited by Ronn Kilby; June 22nd, 2008 at 03:57 PM.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM   #7
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 171
If your camera doesn't have the battery discharge fix, then leave the battery on the camera, and it will discharge it down to a level that may work. It may take more than a couple of hours to do this.

Have you tried removing and replacing the lithium ion battery on the bottom of the camera to ensure a complete reset?
Ross Herewini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fletcher Hills, CA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Herewini View Post
If your camera doesn't have the battery discharge fix, then leave the battery on the camera, and it will discharge it down to a level that may work. It may take more than a couple of hours to do this.

Have you tried removing and replacing the lithium ion battery on the bottom of the camera to ensure a complete reset?
Thanks for the reply Ross - what exactly is the "battery discharge fix?" I did try removing and replacing the backup battery and did a complete reset. I'll try leaving the battery on the camera, but since it doesn't even "see" it I doubt that will do anything.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 203
Ronn

Just topped up a BP-U60. It measures 16 volts right off the charger, with charger showing steady green. My EX1 powers up with no complaints.

20 - 21 battery volts shouldn't be possible unless the charger or your meter is malfunctioning. If the charger is overcharging, the batteries may be damaged too.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fletcher Hills, CA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Strother View Post
Ronn

Just topped up a BP-U60. It measures 16 volts right off the charger, with charger showing steady green. My EX1 powers up with no complaints.

20 - 21 battery volts shouldn't be possible unless the charger or your meter is malfunctioning. If the charger is overcharging, the batteries may be damaged too.
George - thanks for taking the time to check that. If you have a minute tonight, give me a call at 619.794.7188.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:10 PM   #11
Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Lexington, Ma
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
I'm charging the crap out of them and no go. They both show 19v+ with multimeter.
It is impossible. The battery can not generate more then 16.8V. If the charger is faulty (higher voltage than should be), the battery would protect itself above about 17V. It is your meter that is giving you wrong information.
Your problem might have something to do with the battery not making connection to the camera.
__________________
Alex Dolgin
Dolgin Engineering
Camera DC Power accessories, Fast 4 position Battery Charger
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:32 PM   #12
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
Thanks for the reply Ross - what exactly is the "battery discharge fix?" I did try removing and replacing the backup battery and did a complete reset. I'll try leaving the battery on the camera, but since it doesn't even "see" it I doubt that will do anything.
The EX1 had a fault where leaving a battery attached to the camera would discharge the battery even though the camera was in the "OFF" position. If left on the camera for more than a couple of days, it would completely discharge. Some cameras I have heard have been fixed with the replacement of a board in the camera, and I would imagine the newer ones have had the fix at the factory. Mine is not one of them. I was suggesting to you a way of removing the excess charge from the battery if you had no other way.

Another suggestion might be to try rigging up a small camera light to the battery, keep the wattage of the bulb right down say no more than 20W, as you may damage the battery if the drain is too high.

Does sound like the battery had been overcharged, especially when as Alex Dolgin says max for the battery is 16.8v.

I wonder if the camera has an over voltage limiter, that stops it from powering up if the voltage is too high? This would give relief to many who are trying to power the camera by external means other than the charger.

Further to what Alex said, and not telling you how to suck eggs, but have you checked that the battery is connected properly, it needs to be inserted then moved to the left to lock in place.
Ross Herewini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:51 PM   #13
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fletcher Hills, CA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Herewini View Post
The EX1 had a fault where leaving a battery attached to the camera would discharge the battery even though the camera was in the "OFF" position. If left on the camera for more than a couple of days, it would completely discharge. Some cameras I have heard have been fixed with the replacement of a board in the camera, and I would imagine the newer ones have had the fix at the factory. Mine is not one of them. I was suggesting to you a way of removing the excess charge from the battery if you had no other way.

Another suggestion might be to try rigging up a small camera light to the battery, keep the wattage of the bulb right down say no more than 20W, as you may damage the battery if the drain is too high.

Does sound like the battery had been overcharged, especially when as Alex Dolgin says max for the battery is 16.8v.

I wonder if the camera has an over voltage limiter, that stops it from powering up if the voltage is too high? This would give relief to many who are trying to power the camera by external means other than the charger.

Further to what Alex said, and not telling you how to suck eggs, but have you checked that the battery is connected properly, it needs to be inserted then moved to the left to lock in place.
I assume that since it is a 2 week old camera, it includes the "battery drain solution" so there may be something to that. Yes, battery is connected properly. Exactly as it was the previous 50 times over the last 2 weeks, when I had no problems. I think it's a bad charger. I am hoping to try nearby George's charger and/or battery to narrow the problem down to camera, charger or (less likely) battery - although if charger is bad, batteries could be bad now as well. I see no way battery connection to charger can be bad - it is very positive with "click." The reassuring thing is that the camera works fine with alternate power. I just can't work that way except in an emergency. So now I go back to my "B" camera.

Tomorrow, a nice glass of wine and a long chat with B&H and Sony. AArrrgghh.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fletcher Hills, CA
Posts: 211
Update: Thanks to George Strother, I now know my volt meter was wrong, so disregard that 19-21 volts part. My batteries are fine, fully charged and functional (on his camera) and the charger is good too. His batteries (also fully charged and functional) will not run my camera either. Which means something went south inside the camera where the battery connects.

I have a call in to B&H now, we'll see how long before they follow up.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:52 PM   #15
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fletcher Hills, CA
Posts: 211
Absolutely nothing from B&H. This is a 30 day old camera. Sending to Sony Repair in San Jose tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network