EX3 pre-orders at B&H.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 24th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 pre-orders at B&H....

Just got an email from B&H, they are now accepting pre-orders for the EX3 ($8320)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&O=&sku=563219
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Just got an email from B&H, they are now accepting pre-orders for the EX3 ($8320)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&O=&sku=563219
Good to note, but also look at the small print. Card will be charged upon placing order.

I don't have a problem with a vendor taking a deposit to reserve allocation. However, requiring full payment upfront is excessive.

But note, for those of you who use Microsoft's new live.com for shopping rebates, B&H is eligible for cashback of 2.0-3.5%.

Nothing against B&H. They are a sponsor of this board and are phenomenal vendors. And I'm ordering my EX3 from a local dealer. But were I not ordering locally, I also would not pay $8320 up front with no indication of when I would receive a camera.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Ned, good eye to pick up on the cash up front. I received an invite to pre-order from B&H this morning, and I am not willing to fork over the whole payment a month early. On the other hand, I have been communicating with Abel Cine Tech and they are not making such demands at this point.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Interesting thing about it is that - unlike with EX1 - it seems they'd accept and order from EU.

Hmm...
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Piotr,

Don't think too hard about that, you'd only then have to find something else to spend that $5K you just saved. If it wasn't to go towards Sony Europe's silver support, I wonder how much the gold support is worth..?

There's a fine line between being taken for a ride and choosing to go on one, my vote is for the latter - cheap return to NY please mr.internet ;)

I'm interested just how many Europeans are pre-ordering at this (price)point. I don't knock the camera at all, just the outrageous US-EU price differential on this product.
Now, I know us UK/EU-folk should expect to pay for our non-USD 'privileges' at some level, but really, at $5000(+) thats a 60% increase over the actual US price. "Hmm... " indeed.

/rant over

Cheers, Dave.

Dave - Broader Pictures

Last edited by Dave Elston; June 24th, 2008 at 01:48 PM.
Dave Elston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Major Player

B&H has today posted EX3, features, specifications and item includes.

No 8GB SxS card listed for the EX3!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
B&H has today posted EX3, features, specifications and item includes.

No 8GB SxS card listed for the EX3!
Ridiculous.
Gabriel Florit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Its going to be interesting to see how many EX3 get sold if its not going to be including a card and the rebate of an extra card like the EX1 has at this time....

I think B&H and all of the other vendors will be giving at least one card with the EX3.

This just makes the EX1 that much better of a bargain...

EX1 - $6450 and you get two cards
EX3 - $8320 and you most likely will get one card and you purchase the
second card at $400

So
EX3 - $8720 (2 cards)
EX1 - $6450 (2 cards)

Wow, thats $2270 difference... would make a nice down payment on an XDR

or better yet, opt out of the second card with the EX3 and you got $2670 towards the XDR, tri-pod or other goodies...
or a good ways to a second EX1 with a full set of cards... :-)
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #9
Trustee

I can only say that in my experience, B&H has always delivered.

Yes, they do charge upfront on special order items (or in the pre-order situation.)

Would I worry about them? No. Worse comes to worst, if you are unhappy, they've always been easy to deal with.

BTW, here's the B&H link to EX1:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=2187...ist&sku=520761

and to EX3:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=2187...ist&sku=563219
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #10
Major Player

I placed my order last Monday with my local dealer - they have 5 arriving and to be in the #3 slot, cost me a $500 deposit (refundable). So that's OK.

I do think we should all put pressure on Sony and especially the dealers like B & H, Abel, etc, to include the 8Gb card at least. I will be very disappointed if the Ex3 arrives with no card.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I just placed my order with Scott at Tapeworks. What he told me regarding the EX3 is that it is coming with one 8G SxS card which at this time they are calling a "promotion". There is no promotion for a second card like is the case with the EX1. But his feeling is that they will continue this "promotion" card until it just comes standard with the EX3. Then later they can add a second "promotion" card to boost sales if necessary.
Rick Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds