Sandisk vs. Sony SxS cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sandisk vs. Sony SxS cards

1. Has anyone used the sandisk cards with the EX1?
2. Is there a firmware upgrade required for this?
3. What are the risks?

I'm a little suprised that the price of the sony sxs cards have not come down yet.
The sandisk cards are about $200.00 cheaper for the 16 gb which is what I am looking to get. Thanks for any info.

Joel Brooks
Moments in Time Video Productions
Joel Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Same card. Sandisk is most likely the OEM of the cards, in fact.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Buy whichever is cheaper. They are both the very same card.
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Trustee

i use both n they work well so far :)
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

No firmware upgrade necessary
Same card only cheaper, even slightly at some locations
No risks
Pavlos Symeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #6
Major Player

B&H have lowered their prices on Sandisk 16 GB cards. They are now $740. Still expensive though...
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
B&H have lowered their prices on Sandisk 16 GB cards. They are now $740. Still expensive though...
Yes still ex. for that money I can buy a HP 2133 mini notebook with expresscard slot. Just that offloading in the filed will interrupt your shooting for a few minutes and of course also the risk of your notebook being stolen while you continue shooting.

I am still thinking should I buy the notebook or get another 16GB. I already have the 8 and 16GB card each and a 17" Vaio notebook. The 17'' is quite bulky and hard to carry around. Do you think the 16GB price will drop again when the 32GB is avail?
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Transcend SxS 32GB card -Is there any recent update on whether the transcend cards will work in the camera- 32GB is around $200 plus.

thanks
Peter Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #9
Major Player

I just purchased two 16Gb Sandisk SxS cards and they work a treat. I spent a few minutes slightly annoyed that they didn't come with plastic carry cases but then found them buried in the packaging, which by the way is a very elaborate affair, I guess they must want to make them look a bit more like they're worth it!

Also treated myself to a second BP-U60 to accommodate the additional shooting time.

It did cross my mind that I could have got a 15" Macbook Pro for the same money, but it's not always practical to carry a laptop around and I really wouldn't want to face explaining to a client that I couldn't shoot because of a laptop issue. I only had the pair of 8Gb cards that came with the camera before, but now with a 3 hr recording capacity I feel like I can take on most projects.

Next step will be the Laptop, waiting for a blue-ray equipped Macbook Pro before that purchase!

Paul.
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #10
Major Player

I am very much hoping for a price drop when the 32 GB-cards arrive in september. I still cannot really understand why they have to be so expensive. The ExtremeIII Sandisk Compact flash cards are soooo much cheaper and with good enough specs to cope with the EX1-datastream.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #11
Regular Crew

We are paying the novelty, as with wathever technology you can think that has been marketed in the past.

In a year we will be looking at this moment, thinking about this expensive cards and the issues and headaches that the young EX-1 has been causing, and will be wondering 'Why didn't I wait a few months before buying the camera when the dust was settled off?'

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds