DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Just got my EX1. What to do first? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/124509-just-got-my-ex1-what-do-first.html)

Juan Solorzano June 24th, 2008 06:29 PM

Just got my EX1. What to do first?

Hello all!

I am a photojournalist in Caracas, Venezuela, with some videography experience (most using dv and dvcam). I used to own a V1 HDV camera, but I made the jump to an EX1 now.

I spent hours in the forum before making the decision, but now that I got it last week (from B&H, s/n on the 1047XX´s, and firmware V1.05_0405) I need some advice.

What kind of initial tests should I shoot to be sure it is working properly? I´ve read about vignetting, back focus, which are issues that are supposed to have been fix with the most recent firmware, but anyways...

In terms of workflow what should I do first: install the software from te CD or just download newer versions like CLIP BROWSER 1.1 and FCP/XDCAM transfer 2.7 (from the UK site), what about the LOG and Transfer plugin?

I am running FCP 6.03.

Well, that´s it by now. I hope to do my part to contribute to this great forum on a regular basis sharing experiences and results.

Thanks,
JUAN

Dominik Seibold June 25th, 2008 12:59 AM

First: turn the detail-feature off. ;)

Sebastien Thomas June 25th, 2008 02:07 AM

like you said, see other threads about EX1 problems and check for them.

Get all new software release online at sony. Install the clip browser, the SxS driver if you have a card reader and the final cut pro plugin.

then build your picture profile by experimenting, depending on what you're shooting.

Benjamin Eckstein June 25th, 2008 06:35 AM

I would say first turn it on.

John Hyland June 25th, 2008 07:30 AM

Keep in mind the battery drain issue and take it off the camera when you're not shooting. You'll get the latest Sony software online. Seek out Picture Profiles posted by others and then tweak them to find your own.

Kevin Walsh June 25th, 2008 07:43 AM

Get the Vortex media training DVD. Well worth the money. Enjoy your new camera!

Paul Chiu June 25th, 2008 08:56 AM

feel free to ask me or anyone here with any question you may have.
i too am on my 3rd week with the EX1 and the learning part is challenging but worth it.

the vortex video as many have said, is a must!

paul

Michael Belanger June 26th, 2008 01:35 AM

One thing I missed at first is that the shutter switch is defaulted to off, which puts the camera in 360 degree shutter mode. This makes for a lot more 24fps judder when panning, etc. I have mine switched on and defaulted to 180 degrees which matches "normal" film and video cameras.

Alexander Kubalsky June 26th, 2008 07:56 AM

Set Iris to manual.
Try to get used to using full manual focus. Pulling focus, tracking people in crowds at crowded stations is good practice.
Program in Bill Ravens Picture Profile on one of you PP settings.
Set gain to -3 for Low, 0 for Mid and +3 for High.
Spend as much time as you can shooting.

Paul Chiu June 26th, 2008 07:58 AM

what exactly does setting to "degrees" do versus the dafault position?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Belanger (Post 898902)
One thing I missed at first is that the shutter switch is defaulted to off, which puts the camera in 360 degree shutter mode. This makes for a lot more 24fps judder when panning, etc. I have mine switched on and defaulted to 180 degrees which matches "normal" film and video cameras.

Rich Dykmans June 26th, 2008 08:29 AM

I think degrees is just the film nomenclature for for your traditional 1/XXth shutter speeds, no different as far as actual shutter speeds go.

I just joined the EX1 club, picked up a mint used one yesterday. I have to admit after handling it for the first hour I was second guessing myself a bit but it started feeling more comfortable after that.