DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 - outputting HDV via Firewire for Vegas 7 NLE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/124923-ex3-outputting-hdv-via-firewire-vegas-7-nle.html)

Andy Wilkinson June 29th, 2008 03:39 PM

EX3 - outputting HDV via Firewire for Vegas 7 NLE

OK, after a lot of agonising over whether to get a Z7, EX1 or EX3 I've decided on the latter.

What swung it was using my mates EX1 yesterday - such a wonderfully flexible tool it is and now I'm totally sold on it's variable frame rate/picture quality/rapid clip reviewing and solid state workflow. I'm now ready to leave tape behind. However, I also want the lense change capability that so attracted me to the Z7, hence why it's now definitely going to be the EX3.

I've been reading (online) the EX3 manual and have a question, I guess for EX1 owners who may have tried this already (I understand EX3's won't be available for a few more days....I need to get my name on a list with one of the suppliers soon I think!)

Here is my question. My understanding is that footage shot at full 1920x1080 resolution can be played back on camera and outputted via Firewire as HDV format (1440x1080). I am assuming I can capture this just like I do from my Sony HC1? Correct?

Yes, I know, why would I want to do this? - well only as a temporary stop gap.

I hope to get the EX3 in the next 4-6 weeks but probably won't get my Mac and FCS2 capability until the back end of August - for a logistical reason. In the meantime, once I get my EX3 I'm hoping I could at least easily capture HDV playing back from the camera in real time (yes, yes, I know, yawn!) into my current 4 year old Windows XP editing PC (I'm using Vegas 7e) via the Firewire. I'm pretty sure this PC would struggle with full resolution EX 1 or EX3 clips anyway.... but still works really pretty well with HDV within Vegas.

I think I'm right in saying I'd need to upgrade to Vegas 8 in order for the Sony Clip Transfer utility to be able to work? Correct or not? (We tried it a while back with his EX1/MacBookPro, transferring files over on USB stick and we couldn't get it to work with my Vegas 7 - not sure why.)

The thing is I'm going to give Macs and FCS2 a try and don't want to invest any more money on this older (soon to be my backup) editing PC or a Vegas upgrade....but would still like to be able to use it/edit things that I can do so quickly and well from both EX3 and HC1 cams (in Vegas 7) until the Mac arrives and whilst I'm learning FCP, motion etc.

P.S. I know a Vegas update for Pro 8 is imminent (which will allow direct opening of EX1 or EX3 without the need of the free Sony Clip utility), but Like I said, I'm currently on Vegas 7 and not sure I should spend money upgrading to Vegas 8 with an old PC, especially since I'd also have to buy a SxS card reader for it too.

Thanks in advance for any replies from those of you with any specific knowledge on my questions and sorry it's a bit rambling!

Piotr Wozniacki June 29th, 2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 900632)
Here is my question. My understanding is that footage shot at full 1920x1080 resolution can be played back on camera and outputted via Firewire as HDV format (1440x1080).

Sorry Andy, but in HQ mode (1920x1080 or 1280x720), FireWire is disabled. It only works when the camera is set to SP mode, which is effectively HDV (1440x1080, 1.333 pixel).

Anyway, congratulations on your decision - you will be delighted!

Andy Wilkinson June 29th, 2008 04:01 PM

Thanks for the rapid response. Ah well, you can't have everything!!!