Wireless Transmission System for PMW-EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Wireless Transmission System for PMW-EX1

so far, in order to get that 422 color space some favors, it mostly requires a hard wired connection with a computer loaded with one of several black magic capture cards from the PMW-EX1 hd-sdi to the black magic card in a mac pro desktop.

if you want to use the macbook pro, then you'll need to get the aja iohd that sits between the ex1 and the mbp.

the top is the cheapest method and the aja cost over $3000

now, i understand there is a wireless solution where you can use any mac, desktop or mbp.

it's the CW-5HD from IDX.

http://www.idxtek.com/products/trans_sys.html

at a cost of around $6000 and you'll get full 422 and almost live broadcast functionality.

anyone already seen this work?

paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:33 AM   #2
Major Player

that freaks me out. I'd probably wear a bullet proof body suit. I just don't want 4.2.2 color space running through my body.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Major Player

yes ben,
that is a big concern for me as well.
i'd definitely find a shop with one on display and bring a trifield meter to test for unsafe levels of magnetic and microwave energy.

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
that freaks me out. I'd probably wear a bullet proof body suit. I just don't want 4.2.2 color space running through my body.
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Now that is something I could use from time to time. Unfortunately at that price I would have to need it a lot more often than I do.

Crossing my fingers other more affordable options could be lurking around the corner.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
now, i understand there is a wireless solution where you can use any mac, desktop or mbp.
This is just a wireless transmission unit. It's nothing like the Aja Io, Matrox MXO2, MOTU V4HD units or Blackmagic or AJA cards that are all capture devices to be used with a computer.

The IDX will just transmit the SDI signal a few feet away. Good for a directors monitor when you're doing a steadicam shot or maybe even to hook it up to a capture device (or both). It just replaces the coax cable.

Want a stand alone tapeless field recorder that does 4:2:2 Full Raster 10-bit from HD SDI in visually lossless quality and produces files you can edit on both Mac's and PC's? Take a look at the Wafian HR-F1 Field Recorder.

Or you can go for the Flash XDR for 4:2:2 Full Raster 8-bit in a few MPEG2 flavors. An uncompressed option has been announced as well, although you will still need to capture it to ingest so practically you'll need two devices and/or a lot more cards.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds