DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   SxS download very very slow.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/125482-sxs-download-very-very-slow.html)

Kalunga Lima July 7th, 2008 02:26 PM

SxS download very very slow....

I've just acquired a EX1 as a B Camera for my F350 and was surprised at how long it takes to download a full 16 Gb SxS Memory card (50 min) compared to equal time on a XDCam HD optical disk. We've updated our software and have the latest version of XDCam Transfer on an 8-Core Mac.... is there anything I'm missing?

Otherwise I'm very impressed with the image.

thanks

Barry Wilkes July 7th, 2008 03:07 PM

Could be this !!!

May be anti virus softwere had this problem !!

Dave Morrison July 7th, 2008 03:38 PM

If you're downloading direct from the camera, it can be fairly slow. The fastest download I can do is putting the SxS card into the ExpressCard slot of my MacBook Pro.

Alister Chapman July 7th, 2008 05:01 PM

do you have any usb1 devices plugged in or are you using a hub? It does take about 10 mind to off load a full 16gb card. Also what are you copying too? Some external drives can struggle to keep up.

Craig Hollenback July 7th, 2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morrison (Post 904208)
If you're downloading direct from the camera, it can be fairly slow. The fastest download I can do is putting the SxS card into the ExpressCard slot of my MacBook Pro.

I agree...I download via a Dell Vostro laptop...16BG about 10 minutes if I recall., Then burn to an external and bring it into the mac FCP.

Perrone Ford July 7th, 2008 06:36 PM

Just tested my Dell M6300

1.16GB in 46 seconds. So about 45 seconds per gig.

Craig Seeman July 7th, 2008 06:36 PM

On my MacPro 8 Core I get about 4x from either EX1 or Sony USB card reader. About 14 minutes give or take for a 16GB card.

Kalunga Lima July 7th, 2008 11:50 PM

Don't plug SxS reader into your Mac keyboard.

It was taking almost 4 hrs to download a single 16 Gb SXS on my 8 Core??? From your responses I gathered it was a USB issue. I had the SxS reader plugged into my keyboard's USB port (as my CPU is in another room), when I moved the reader directly to the CPU, things got noticeably better, approaching the times experienced by others.

Thanks

Ned Soltz July 8th, 2008 03:41 AM

Using Shotput Express 2.0.1, I downloaded a full 16gb card directly inserted into the Express34 slot on a MacBook Pro to the internal MBPro hard drive in a little over 6 minutes.

Dave Morrison July 8th, 2008 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalunga Lima (Post 904388)
It was taking almost 4 hrs to download a single 16 Gb SXS on my 8 Core??? From your responses I gathered it was a USB issue. I had the SxS reader plugged into my keyboard's USB port (as my CPU is in another room), when I moved the reader directly to the CPU, things got noticeably better, approaching the times experienced by others.

Thanks

There's your problem. I believe that your keyboard operates at USB 1.1 speeds and anything plugged into it would behave the same.