EX3 delivery dates? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 21st, 2008, 06:03 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
The LCD does make the EX-3 a handful for carrying and the bag options out there are a worry. I thought my old Kata bag could hold it, so that's a pain. Again, havent seen any EX-3 specific bags yet.
Jon, I guess that with a delicate thing like the LCD always unfolded, the best choice would be some hard case.

As to the EX3 ergonomics: with the camera on your shoulder, does your right arm feel comfortable? I mean, from the early photos and Phil's video, it requires the elbow to get extremely "tight", if you know what I mean...

Also, how is the weight spread - with the semi-shoulder design, does your shoulder take enough of the camera gravity, or is it front-heavy?
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:24 AM   #32
Major Player

Jon,

I have a Petrol and a Porta-Brace bag sitting empty. If they work at all, they'll be too large, I'm afraid as they were designed for large ENG cameras with removeable lenses, not this much more compact one.

My point, though, is that they have built in hard pockets for the viewfinder. This worked great on the JVC-HD100/HD200 series cameras, and even though this viewfinder might be too large, this type of design should serve the EX-3 well.

Also, I'm in Tampa - who is your Miami dealer?? Can't seem to find a dealer from the Sony website.

Last edited by Ted OMalley; July 21st, 2008 at 09:30 AM.
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:34 AM   #33
Major Player

Jon can you please keep us updated on any findings on the EX3? Have you checked for any possible back focus issues or the battery drain problem?

And when you mentioned ergonomics - did you shoot handheld for a long time? How did it feel?

The world out there is waiting for some answers......
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:13 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Probably works

Is not a HB-207 but it fits the XL-H1 with mattebox attached

http://16x9inc.com/products/16x9/169-cb2.html
Alessandro Zumstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM   #35
Inner Circle

When I used the EX3 I found it easier to hold for long periods than my EX1. Although only a small amount of the weight is taken by your shoulder the fact that you are not using your muscles to balance the camera makes it less fatiguing. Also in effect you use both arms to support the front end of the camera while your shoulder takes the weight of the rear. With a heavier lens it will be a different story as the center of gravity of the camera will be further forward.
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM   #36
Major Player

Take a look at the DVMultiRig Junior (www.dvtec.tv) as this should be an excellent way of providing more balance and support to the EX-3 when using the shoulder mount. I shot an EX-1 using the Junior and it something wonderfully simple but a definite improvement of shooting hand-held.

I'll give it a shot on my EX-3 whenever it arrives (this week, I hope).

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:10 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Also, how is the weight spread - with the semi-shoulder design, does your shoulder take enough of the camera gravity, or is it front-heavy?
So far so good - I love it. It's night and day in terms of hand-held. With my right arm and should hugging the cam, it is not much effort supporting the front to get a steady shot for a few minutes. For long periods I think I will attach the steady-bar, as shown in the photo. Not sure where I got this from - it cost $50, but with the Ex-3 it works very well for long hand-helds.

I put a battery at 80% charge on the Ex-3 on Friday night and it is fine today, though I havent shot anything much yet, but I have been running through menus and set-ups quite a bit. It shows 115 mins left and approx 70% charge!

Ted, I will check port-a-brace. I like Kata bags, as I have plenty of their accessories already.

I havent noticed a back-focus issue but it is too early to tell, as I have only shot through my studio windows, as I am on crunch editing a movie right now. Any more news I will post as the week progresses - so far I am in heaven with this - a real leap forward for me.
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 delivery dates?-ex-3.jpg  
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Benn View Post
Well I ordered mine almost immediately in late June once I was informed that the books were open. In fact, I ordered the same morning I was told (June 26th I believe) so I'm hopeful that I might receive one sooner rather than later. I guess even large firms like Sony are no better at pinning down production deadlines than anyone else!

Hope everyone who got theirs this weekend is enjoying getting to know the rig. As for bags, I went Petrol for now.

Jus.
Justin,

Did your camera ship?

B&H received twenty from Sony the other day and they've all shipped - I imagine one of them was yours.

I'm still in cue - #8 in a list awaiting Sony's next delivery. According to B&H, they are expecting the next shipment Thursday and will ship out immediately.

Too bad Sony only shipped them a partial order to begin with, or mine would be on the way.

Anyway, looks like good news for you, so enjoy!
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM   #39
Major Player

Can anyone confirm is the EX3's microphone bracket is any stronger than the EX1? I'm trying to determine if I need to order any add-ons for the mic.
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #40
New Boot

EX3 Arrives

My EX 3 arrived yesterday. I was a bit worried about the sturdiness of the viewfinder. But it seems built well enough that it will withstand all but the worse abuse. In all this camera takes care of all the issues for those of us born, weaned and raised on the traditional broadcast camera configuration. I got this one from Roscor/Lee Drady and I believe he may have some more.
Mike Kornely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #41
Major Player

You know the guy who keeps changing lanes in traffic to jockey for a better position but actually just keep getting further behind everyone else? Man, I hope that's not me.

I cancelled my B&H order yesterday.

They were no longer expecting their shipment yesterday (latest), they were now saying by August 1st. They said mine should ship by the 5th and I should get it by the 11th.

I called TapeworksTexas. They have tracking on a shipment from Sony due to arrive on the 29th. They plan to ship mine on the same day, or the next if the order comes in too late. I should receive it on August 1st, same day B&H gets theirs.

As of closing time yesterday, TapeworksTexas still had more unsold EX3's coming in. If you are on a waiting list, you might want to give them a call. Ask for Scott.

Camera price is $8320, same as B&H.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #42
Major Player

Almost forgot to mention...

Scott says he has a backpack-style bag that he thinks works well for the camera. He's test-fit it and thinks that it support and protects the viewfinder well. He was great to work with, very personable.

And now, I can't wait for my EX3... again.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #43
Major Player

Sounds logical that shipment to Tapeworks is on the way because my dealer told me that Sony was shipping to them as well but they did not at the moment have the tracking number.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #44
Major Player

I almost forgot to mention it - free shipping!!
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #45
Major Player

Ted I think you made the right decision. I heard that B & H may not get sufficient stock to fill their orders anyway - so you could have got an even later delivery date.

Ted what was the backpack that you mentioned? Any brand name that I can check myself? I have 5 or 6 bags and pelikan cases, but nothing that fits my EX-3, which is annoying but I guess not surprising.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds