EX3 delivery dates? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Benn View Post
As it happens, I just got an email from BH saying the following:

"Please be advised that we are expecting in the “SONY PMW-EX3 XDCAM-EX HD CAMCORDER” you have on backorder by the end of next week."

YEY!!! Triple YEY!!! [Don't ask me what YEY means, I'm just happy]. Hope the back focus is okay, the paint doesn't flake off, the microphone mount doesn't break, there are no vignetting issues, I'm not too bothered by rolling shutter, the lens seals are adequate...
Justin,

Did you receive your EX3 this week?
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #17
New Boot

EX3 Shipping Today

My supplier, a friendly Chicago company, is shipping my EX3 this afternoon.
Mike Kornely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #18
Major Player

My Ex-3 is here !!

Just picked it up from my local dealer - the camera is already out of the box and I am drooling all over it. I can confirm that it does ship with a 8G card - though it does not appear on the pick-list.

Well, the weekend is here, so you all know what I will be doing for two days!!
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Have fun! Hopefully, in 2 weeks time I'll be doing the same (hope our awfull English summer improves by then!)

"First week in August" was the last I heard (a few weeks ago) from Jigsaw24, my supplier and DVinfo's UK sponsor.
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #20
Major Player

I'm shaking with excitement! I can't wait!! Jon, thanks for confirming the 8GB SxS - I was concerned about that one.

Jon, and Mike - did you pre-order? If so, how long was the wait?

Thanks
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #21
Major Player

No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Justin,

Did you receive your EX3 this week?
No - and I'm a bit pissed off to say the least. B&H were entirely non-committal about 'the way forward' so I guess I'm down to waiting. I was there personally today.

Still, did some shopping at Calumet and Fotocare (Sunbounce reflectors - nice!), and did a lot of (sweaty) walking around town.

Anyone else get any B&H joy? I thought I was high inthe queue...

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #22
Major Player

Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
My Ex-3 is here !!

I can confirm that it does ship with a 8G card - though it does not appear on the pick-list.
Hope that's included with all of them - or will B&H take them out (since they are no longer listed as included although I swear they were originally)?

I'm off to sulk.

Jus.
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #23
Major Player

Justin

Sorry to hear that. Not just for you, but for me as well. I didn't get mine ordered until last week, so there's no telling how long I'll need to wait. Though, I hope B&H ordered a couple hundred and they'll be able to fill all our orders at once!
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #24
Major Player

My last four cams all came from B & H, but I went local for my EX-3, mainly for the Sony support I may need. My local dealer had 4 units on order and I put a deposit on #3 about 5 weeks ago. They told me deliveries will be small and limited for a few weeks. I am not holding too much hope for B & H to receive huge supplies. A realistic delivery date if you ordered in the last week, would be end of August...but you never know. I do know my local dealer was one of first to receive the EX-3.

Not sure why the 8g Card is not listed with the parts manifest, and Sony would not confirm it's inclusion when I first ordered. So it's nice to see the card included.

My concern is that my lovely Kata backpak does not hold the EX-3. I have taken this Kata bag all over Asia (where I mostly film) - so I am bummed. I really like this bag. It's the big square shape with rolling wheels that detach. The EX-3's large viewfinder is mostly to blame. So recommends on a backpak would be great. I cannot use hardcases, as I often film in hostile locations with limited gear.

Good luck on your orders - keep pestering them!
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #25
Major Player

Local, Global.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
A realistic delivery date if you ordered in the last week, would be end of August...but you never know. I do know my local dealer was one of first to receive the EX-3.
Well I ordered mine almost immediately in late June once I was informed that the books were open. In fact, I ordered the same morning I was told (June 26th I believe) so I'm hopeful that I might receive one sooner rather than later. I guess even large firms like Sony are no better at pinning down production deadlines than anyone else!

Hope everyone who got theirs this weekend is enjoying getting to know the rig. As for bags, I went Petrol for now.

Jus.
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #26
Major Player

Normally I like to get my camera when they first come out but I am more than happy at the moment with my EX1 so I am holding onto it for this year. I do a lot of handheld at weddings and the EX1 is a pain in the ass after a while, but I use a monopod and it solves the problem most of the time, unless I am walking aling and snag the base of the monopod on the ground and ruin a shot!!!

I will sell my EX1 on ebay around Chrismas and buy the Ex3 before next years wedding season starts. The price would have dropped a fair chunck by then and any teething problems hopefully ironed out.

I paid £4500 for my EX1 the week it came out. Today I can buy a new EX1 for £3800.

I expect a similar sized drop for the EX3 once it's been out a few months.

So wait I will.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #27
Major Player

I spoke with a somewhat helpful B&H customer service person today. He indicated the following:

They haven't received any EX3's yet, but they are expecting a shipment of EX3's soon. He can't say for sure when the shipment from Sony will arrive, but this week is expected.

Their earliest pre-order was seven weeks ago - and that customer will recieve the first and so forth.

As of today, thrity-six have been pre-ordered by customers (I'm toward the end of that list). The order that they are awaiting includes more than enough cameras to cover all the pre-orders.

So, if Sony delivers the whole order to B&H (as B&H currently expects), then all the pre-orders will be filled immediately. That means this week.

On the other hand (there's always another hand), Sony could ship them a parial order instead of a full order.

So, this week is most likely, but there is a chance of a indefinite delay.

Justin, not sure where you are on the list, but probably pretty high. You're more likely than I am to get yours in the next few days. Try not to drool on it when you unpack it!
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #28
Major Player

Hmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I spoke with a somewhat helpful B&H customer service person today. He indicated the following:

They haven't received any EX3's yet, but they are expecting a shipment of EX3's soon. He can't say for sure when the shipment from Sony will arrive, but this week is expected.

Their earliest pre-order was seven weeks ago - and that customer will recieve the first and so forth.

As of today, thrity-six have been pre-ordered by customers (I'm toward the end of that list). The order that they are awaiting includes more than enough cameras to cover all the pre-orders.

So, if Sony delivers the whole order to B&H (as B&H currently expects), then all the pre-orders will be filled immediately. That means this week.

On the other hand (there's always another hand), Sony could ship them a parial order instead of a full order.

So, this week is most likely, but there is a chance of a indefinite delay.

Justin, not sure where you are on the list, but probably pretty high. You're more likely than I am to get yours in the next few days. Try not to drool on it when you unpack it!
Thanks. I spoke again today and got someone happier to talk to. He indicated that Wednesday looked likely and that if not, he would have Sony email me and suggest a delivery date (which would be amazing if he could pull that off).

I find it hard to believe that someone pre-ordered 7 weeks ago although I don't doubt that was what you were told. I booked the day they opened the books on June 26th. In any case, I'll shut up for now and allow due process to take place. Guess I'm keen to get on with things. Given the range of gear I've just got, I've a lot to live up to as it is so its time stop blabbing and time to conserve energy for creativity.

OT: Has anyone else picked up any of the 'Wholphin' DVDs lately? They're collections of short films and vary wildly in content and treatment and are right up my street, so to speak. Just discovered them and managed to snag the first 5 volumes today to wade through.

Jus.
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:51 AM   #29
Major Player

So where are all the production EX3 hands on reviews? There must be quite a few out there now. Enquiring minds want to know :D
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:49 AM   #30
Major Player

I am surprised by the lack of news on EX-3 deliveries - am I the only one who took delivery?

And no in-depth reviews so far as I can see. It is quite a low-key debut for the EX-3.

I havent managed to spend too much time this weekend with the EX-3 unfortunately. I can say that the ergonomics are great - the right balance, and the tools I use are all there right on the camera instead of being buried deep in a menu.
Although I am in Miami, I do not shoot here - but the new viewfinder is incredible in strong sunlight. In fact, this is one of my main reasons for the upgrade to EX-3, among many others of course.
I am looking into other lens options along with the supplied adapter. I will not pick another lens for a while yet though - my dealer was shooting some EX-3 stuff with a long Canon lens and may post the results.

The LCD does make the EX-3 a handful for carrying and the bag options out there are a worry. I thought my old Kata bag could hold it, so that's a pain. Again, havent seen any EX-3 specific bags yet.

When I ordered in early June, my dealer was very accurate with the delivery date and kept to it - in fact he was 4 days early. No idea why B & H are still without stock but they must be on their way this week.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds