SDI out Connector - Explain please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 8th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SDI out Connector - Explain please

In short, I understand I can use this for SD out and HD out, with some menu changes. I currently use the supplied video cable that plugs into the side, splitting to 3 RCAs. I use the yellow one to monitor video in the field, picture really looks like crap, BTW. I'd like to try the SDI out, but am confused as to the settings. In playing with the menu settings, anything I got was just black static, for lack of a better term.

If you know, kindly share how I get an SD signal out of it. And while your at it, what else do I do with that output. Thanks.
L.J. Morelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Major Player

SDI stands for Serial Digital Interface.

So you need an SDI capable monitor or other device in order to use that output. These tend to be expensive professional broadcast gear. You can also get external adapters to convert the signal - also not cheap.

But the if you have the correct equipment, the image from that output is amazing.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #3
Major Player

As far as I know the output of the SDI plug of the EX1 is HD only. You can only have downconvertion to SD using analogic ports like componant.

Then, you can only use the SDI output in a HD workflow , using compatible monitors like BT-LH900, using SDI-to-DVI transformers (HDlink, Doremi..) or SDI cards to get the data to your computer.

Using a EX1 for SD output may not be the best solution. This camera is designed to work in a full HD workflow.
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas View Post
As far as I know the output of the SDI plug of the EX1 is HD only. You can only have downconvertion to SD using analogic ports like componant.

Then, you can only use the SDI output in a HD workflow , using compatible monitors like BT-LH900, using SDI-to-DVI transformers (HDlink, Doremi..) or SDI cards to get the data to your computer.

Using a EX1 for SD output may not be the best solution. This camera is designed to work in a full HD workflow.
No. You can set the SDI out to SD. I've done that before with some very nice results.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
No. You can set the SDI out to SD. I've done that before with some very nice results.
Hummm... maybe.
Could you please explain how. I'm sure Mr Morelli is looking for this kind of information.
What shooting mode is compatible with SDI SD output ?

Thanks.
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas View Post
Hummm... maybe.
Could you please explain how. I'm sure Mr Morelli is looking for this kind of information.
What shooting mode is compatible with SDI SD output ?

Thanks.
Under the Video Set -> YPbPr/SDI -> choose SD.

Video Set -> Downconvert -> choices are Squeeze, Letterbox, Edge Crop

p. 103 in the manual

p. 117-118 details which formats are applicable.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Not working Ned, I have it on SD, all I get it like a black static. I'm assuming I can just use a regular BNC cable, going into an old NTSC monitor? Or am I totally not getting the concept.
L.J. Morelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #8
Major Player

You're totally not getting the concept.

SDI is is a digital signal. Your old NTSC monitor has an analog input. That both are BNC connectors is just a result of that connector type being really popular.

See Erics post (the first reply in this thread).

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Got it, thanks.
L.J. Morelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds