just recieved my century fisheye 0.55 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 10th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

UPDATED - just recieved my century fisheye 0.55

just got home from vacation and saw a b&h box at my door. i was happy to see the fisheye i ordered last april has finaly made it here. opened the box and put it on my ex1 to try it out. my excitement was soon over as the image was way out of focus. i took the lense off and re install a few times and it was blurry. played around with the focus ring to try to get it to focus...no luck. verified the the zoom was all the way back...no luck. took out the instruction that came with the lens and followed it step by step...no luck.

WTF!!!! now i am piss. waited all this time and i get this?!? does anyone have the fisheye? am i doing something wrong? the image is way out of focus...not just a little.

UPDATE: got the fisheye to work!!! called century and found out i needed to do two things

1) turn macro ON
2) turn auto focus ON

Last edited by Don Pham; July 11th, 2008 at 09:59 AM. Reason: fisheye working now
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #2
Major Player

This is the second case of this I have heard about... I so wanted to get the Fisheye because I have one for my old VX2000 and I love it! This does not sound good at all. So far it sounds as though the EX1 is hit and miss with Century Optics's accessories which I have always used...Can you post some pics of what the results look like.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #3
Trustee

Have you switched the "macro" on,on the cam ?
There's also a "wide angle" setting somewhere in the menu.

Paul
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Don I have had the same problem. Paul good points I tried Macro on and the wide angle setting with the same problem of no focus..

I am also very upset that this does not work. Options for a fisheye that works with the EX1?
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Don I have had the same problem. Paul good points I tried Macro on and the wide angle setting with the same problem of no focus..

I am also very upset that this does not work. Options for a fisheye that works with the EX1?

I tried this one at NAB works great but when I put it on my cam had the same problem the rep from schneideroptics changed a setting on the cam and it focused. Also make sure your zoom is full out these are not zoom through lens.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecomm...=1474&IID=6373
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I was going to order one of these but that's on hold now. Seems hard to believe that they would ship a product that just plain didn't work but when the first 2 people trying it say the exact same thing . . . .
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
I tried Macro on and the wide angle setting with the same problem of no focus..
What other settings would affect this thing working?? Their ad says partial zoom through as well. For a company known for great products seems like they would give you detailed instructions if these are that finicky!
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I have the same problem like you guy. The best way to do it is return to the place you order. I bought from B&H and easy for return.
Cuong Dinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Major Player

Just because it focuses still doesn't mean you have a good copy. Anyone who can get the lens focused properly, could you please check to make sure the image is acceptable, not something like what Paul got when he tried the defunct Century 0.75x zoom-through adapter a while back!

I myself have had some bad experience with Century adapters before. My first 37mm 0.65x Century adapter was totally unacceptable on my Sony HC1. It sure seemed to be a defective unit. The store saw the image and allowed me to exchange for another one. The second unit was noticeably better with symmetrical softness at the edges, a fair amount of vignetting and moderate CAs. I was then not quite sure if that was as good as it got for an adapter that wide and for the "consumer" thread of 37mm so I bought a cheaper 37mm Sony wide adapter which was a little less wide at 0.7x. Guess what, it was miles ahead in quality and that was only on the first try!

Too bad, the choice of fisheye lens is much more limited. What will Century's response be this time?

Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Major Player

You would think, since this is a Sony EX1 specific lens adapter, they would make it very clear that you need to turn the macro on and auto focus on... like in huge RED letters or something. To have to call the company on something as basic as this makes it seem Century isn't on the ball. I'm only going by what I see here, no personal experience, but geez, why would a company risk their reputation, in this world of internet and forums, on something that would be so easy to eliminate with simple instructions?

I have the Sony .8x and I hope Sony makes something even wider. Somehow this EX1 glass is throwing off the third party companies.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #11
Major Player

Pull the focus ring forward towards the lens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! switch to macro and you WILL be able to focus as long as the zoom is set to wide. BUT the focus ring must be pulled forward.

This is how I use mine without any issues. All the inside shots of the helicopter, were shot with this lens. @ http://exposureroom.com/members/stev...63f772ec0226e/

Last edited by Steve Cahill; July 12th, 2008 at 04:50 AM.
Steve Cahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Don, (or anyone)

Can we see some footage taken with this adaptor on?
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cahill View Post
Pull the focus ring forward towards the lens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! switch to macro and you WILL be able to focus as long as the zoom is set to wide. BUT the focus ring must be pulled forward.
Exactly - the reason being that this is the only position where the MACRO is effective.

MACRO has no meaning whatsoever with the focus ring set to FULL MANUAL!
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #14
Major Player

Cīmon guys! Getting upset about not having instructions printed in red telling you to try something as basic as turning macro on to make an add-on adapter work sounds a bit ignorant to me. Give the guys making this thing a break!
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #15
Major Player

So what is the word on this it works great as long as Macro is on and Focus is in Auto or full Auto?
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds