XDCAM EX Clip Browser V2.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 15th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #1

XDCAM EX Clip Browser V2.0

It would appear that v2.0 of the XDCAM EX clip browser is available at the Canadian Sony website here:

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/software.htm

It includes drag and drop capability into Avid bins and, hopefully, a fix for Macs
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #2
Wrangler

Good find, Bill. Having demo'd it at NAB for Sony, I really like this release.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Sweetness! Native res still grabs. Why no TIFF or PNG though?
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

In some of the recent pdf brochures on XDCAM EX, I read about the future CLip Browser ability to convey camera settings as clips' metadata. Can't see it in v2.0; or am I missing something?

The full screen playback on secondary monitor is nice, but why not really full (this picture is less than 1920x100, and shifted to the left).

Finally, the long-awaited SD downconversion is 4:3 only - what a pity!

EDIT: disregard - there's the squeezed option of course, with 1,4568 pixel aspect ratio. Very nice SD downconversion, actually!

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; July 15th, 2008 at 11:04 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Good show Mr. Ravens.
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Bill, thank you for the find! You continue to be an awesome help on this board and I really appreciate it.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I must say the additional codex' prices are sick!

Also, has anyone managed to open the XDCAM 4:2:2 in Vegas? (Edius plays it just fine)
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
In some of the recent pdf brochures on XDCAM EX, I read about the future CLip Browser ability to convey camera settings as clips' metadata. Can't see it in v2.0; or am I missing something?
The Metadata is there. I saw it. It doesn't have cool stuff like focal length and iris info though. But you can tag up the clips, and they do carry camera serial #, userbit, and some other things. Probably a help on multi-cam shoots.
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I must say the additional codex' prices are sick!

Also, has anyone managed to open the XDCAM 4:2:2 in Vegas? (Edius plays it just fine)
What XDCam 4:2:2? I'll try to open it in Vegas if you can point me to it.
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
What XDCam 4:2:2? I'll try to open it in Vegas if you can point me to it.
Apart from the regular EX-mxf (35Mpbs 4:2:0), you can now export in the XDCAM HD-compliant formats (25 Mbps 4:2:0 and 50 Mbps 4:2:2). Of course, without the add-on MC codec, the clips get watermarked.
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
The Metadata is there. I saw it. It doesn't have cool stuff like focal length and iris info though. But you can tag up the clips, and they do carry camera serial #, userbit, and some other things. Probably a help on multi-cam shoots.
Yep - I was hoping for the "cool stuff", as well:)
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #12
Major Player

This is a stellar update from Sony Canada. It makes version 1.0 look like an underdeveloped freeware tool.

The In/Out point to new clip feature alone is enough to download. This was a feature in XDCAM Transfer that has made it's way to Windows. Awesome!

Performance seems improved and the program overall seems more stable.

The interface is sleeker. It conforms to my monitor size so that all screen real estate is used and even has an Optimize Window Layout option in case I were to mess it up. The tabbed clip browsing is cool.

Lots of output options! The SD AVI downversion looks good on my screen (can you export to mp4 from your NLE and then use Clip Browser as a downconverter? Someone test this please). That MainConcept Conversion Pack is quite lame though...it's such a tease. Oh well, $150ish isn't too bad if you just get Pack #1.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter View Post
Lots of output options! The SD AVI downversion looks good on my screen (can you export to mp4 from your NLE and then use Clip Browser as a downconverter? Someone test this please). That MainConcept Conversion Pack is quite lame though...it's such a tease. Oh well, $150ish isn't too bad if you just get Pack #1.
The clipbrowser would not import a mainconcept mp4 I created in my editor.

And I tried to convert a clip to .wmv and that failed to open in windows media player. So it looks like not everything is rosy here...
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #14
Inner Circle

The wmv opens here just fine (but is watermaked, as well :()
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #15
Trustee

What to view MXF files with

When i exported MXF using clip browser V1, i could view my files in windows media player using the snell and willcox mxf desktop plug in, however, when using Clip Browser V" i can no longer view the files
VLC player doesn't play the 1080SQ files, never has.
So what are you all using to check that the files have converted correctly ?
The only way i can view the files at the moment is with vegas, which i have installed on my desktop but not my feeble laptop, i used to use vlc and windows media/snell and willcox to view the files.

So, on location,with client, i rewrap footage to mxf for him and then what ?
How can i prove that the footage is on his portable hard-drive ?
Clip browser can't show the files once converted.

Paul.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds