Sony XDCAM Browser 2.0 Released!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 20th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Roughly USD 450 for the two codec packs and I can't find any details on the licencing. At that price a Vegas 8 licence seems like a bargain.
How do you mean Bob? When you buy the plug-in(s) you're licensed and can use the features in CB2 without watermark.

If you had to buy the Mainconcept MPEG2, H.264 and VC1 codecs separately, you'd be out ~$1500 if I'm not mistaken.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newman View Post
I'm getting only 4:3 options to downconvert to DV in CB2 and no options for codecs - is this an xml edit job to build new templates or am I missing the obvious?
If the codec only supports 4:3, you won't get any options in the selector box. If your conversion choice supports widescreen, there is an options panel to open where you'll get a choice of how to output it.

I'm going from memory at the moment.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
How do you mean Bob? When you buy the plug-in(s) you're licensed and can use the features in CB2 without watermark.

If you had to buy the Mainconcept MPEG2, H.264 and VC1 codecs separately, you'd be out ~$1500 if I'm not mistaken.

George/
Bob means that the codecs are included with Vegas 8 at a reasonable price unlike the promos for companies like Main Concept embedded in the "free" Clip Browser from Sony with the watermarked "teaser advertisements" to lure one into overpaying for a "codec".

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post

George/
I'm assuming that many users would want to install the clip browser on more than one computer, say a laptop and their desktop edit system. Quite possibly what they'd want to install it on could be fluid as well. The base clip browser is free so no problem with it but if you come to rely on the optional codec packs things might be different.

Vegas Pro 8 ships with all those MC codecs apart from the VC1 codec. The Vegas licence permits an unlimited number of installs, you're only limited to it being used by one user at a time. I should however be very specific here, the codecs installed with Vegas are only accessible within Vegas. To get the same functionality you'd need to take the mxf from the clip browser into Vegas and render for iPod or PSP etc. The clip browser could not access the codecs installed by the Vegas install.

Last edited by Bob Grant; July 20th, 2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #20
Trustee

Taking ages to rewrap

I'm using clip browser V2, via the sony card reader and usb.
The copying process for an 8gb card takes around 7 mins, or 3 mins on my laptop with scs card slot.
However, the rewrapping of a full 8gb card is taking around 25 mins via sony card reader and sxs slot on laptop, the clips are spanning 2 cards so could this be the reason.
I don't remember clip browser V1 taking this long.

I wish the vegas update would hurry up so that no rewrapping is needed.

Also, i'm doing a shoot for a client this weekend, he'll be on location with a portable hard-drive to take footage straight off me, he's using premiere pro, will my footage need rewrapping to mxf ?

Thanks.
Paul.
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #21
Trustee

Also no "refresh" button on Clip browser V2

When i remove an sxs card and insert a new card, with V1, in the explorer window, i could click on another folder then click on the sxs card again and clip browser would be updated with the footage from the new card. V2 doesn't do that, i have to close and reopen V2.

Paul.
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
I'm using clip browser V2, via the sony card reader and usb.
The copying process for an 8gb card takes around 7 mins, or 3 mins on my laptop with scs card slot.
However, the rewrapping of a full 8gb card is taking around 25 mins via sony card reader and sxs slot on laptop, the clips are spanning 2 cards so could this be the reason.
I don't remember clip browser V1 taking this long.
I'm experiencing the same problem with speed. It is taking 2 or 3 times longer to "export" clips from v2 than it took with v1.1

Although v2 has a nicer GUI, it is a waste of my time using this version when clips transfer in a fraction of a time using v1.1

I'm planning on removing v2 until the problem is resolved. Unfortunately, the install of v2 completely overwrites the install of previous versions instead of going into a new separate folder.

Does anybody have a link from where I can download v1.1 again?

Thanks

PS. By the way Paul, I don't think it has anything to do with clips spanning across cards. I've noticed the slowdown on cards with non-spanning clips. V2 is consistently slow on transfer.
Keith Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Malone View Post
Does anybody have a link from where I can download v1.1 again?
Try here: http://www.sony.co.uk/res/attachment...3315621810.zip

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:22 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks for that John but it seems from the filesize that your link points to version 2 i.e. the version that seems to take twice as long to transfer clips! I've since sourced a previous version elsewhere.

I'm going to move the subtopic of "slow version 2" to a separate thread because the issue is not really being highlighted here.
Keith Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #25
Inner Circle

My Response to Clip Browser 2 speed

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....52&postcount=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Malone View Post
Thanks for that John but it seems from the filesize that your link points to version 2 i.e. the version that seems to take twice as long to transfer clips! I've since sourced a previous version elsewhere.

I'm going to move the subtopic of "slow version 2" to a separate thread because the issue is not really being highlighted here.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #26
Inner Circle

My biggest gripe is how the Copy All command now works.

In Clip Browser 1, when you used Copy All you were able to choose the folder in the popup dialogue box. In Clip Browser 2 you have to set or change that in Preferences.

I'd really wish I could create a new folder in the 2nd Explorer Windows and set that as a destination for a given copy. Now I have to go back to preferences to select a new folder for each Copy All. Major pain IMHO.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
My biggest gripe is how the Copy All command now works.

In Clip Browser 1, when you used Copy All you were able to choose the folder in the popup dialogue box. In Clip Browser 2 you have to set or change that in Preferences.

I'd really wish I could create a new folder in the 2nd Explorer Windows and set that as a destination for a given copy. Now I have to go back to preferences to select a new folder for each Copy All. Major pain IMHO.
Unless I'm not understanding you, it sounds like you are making it too difficult.

1.) From the destination window, Right click on the tree, choose "new folder," and name it.
2.) From the source window, Right click to choose "select all."
3.) Drag the files from the source window to the destination window.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #28
Inner Circle

I don't like drag and drop when copying master files from SxS to folder. It's too risky to miss a clip IMHO.

ClipBrowser1 had a dialogue box popup to select the folder. ClipBrowser2 forces you back into Preferences.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds