Sony XDCAM Browser 2.0 Released!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 16th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony XDCAM Browser 2.0 Released!!

Sony's updated version of the XDCAM Browser software, 2.0, has been released and is available for immediate downloading.

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/software.htm
Torv Carlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Trustee

Torv,
LOL, thanks man, but you're a day late. Bill posted this Yesterday in the thread just below yours.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, I realize that now. The only thing is that his headline doesn't indicate that it is released. I thought there needed to be some clarification, not that I'd want to one-up Bill!
Torv Carlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #4
Trustee

License Agreement?!

This may be one of the pitfalls of today's 'copy & paste' culture that neglects to read boiler plate, but even the briefest cursory glance showed up the following:

"You may not use this software for any commercial purpose"

Really? Message to Sony:

If I can't shoot a building or an event 'for any commercial purpose' then it could be argued I can't use this software for any commercial purpose. If legal boilerplate is to carry any weight at all, then it needs to be carefully crafted.

Sure, I'll still use it if it works. But with clauses like that, should we bother with legal disclaimers?
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post

Really?
Check out the EX3 manual pages 151/152. No such limitation mentioned in the EX1 manual though...

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
Check out the EX3 manual pages 151/152. No such limitation mentioned in the EX1 manual though...

George/
Where can I download the manual? I can't find it on Sony's site.
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Major Player

Check CH's sticky post: XDCAM EX series brochures and operator manual downloads

George/
Old July 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm a little confused by the two Explorer windows on v2.0. Can someone explain the difference for me?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
This may be one of the pitfalls of today's 'copy & paste' culture that neglects to read boiler plate, but even the briefest cursory glance showed up the following:

Really? Message to Sony:

If I can't shoot a building or an event 'for any commercial purpose' then it could be argued I can't use this software for any commercial purpose. If legal boilerplate is to carry any weight at all, then it needs to be carefully crafted.

Sure, I'll still use it if it works. But with clauses like that, should we bother with legal disclaimers?

I'm no attorney (thanks to some good sense, morals, and a desire to be creative with things other than the law), but after reading this and visiting www.MPEGLA.com, it seems pretty clear.

We can use our cameras and clip software and editing systems to shoot, compose, render and produce all the web and DVD material we want. We just can't sell anything or use it to promote our business or another business. My understanding (and I may have gotten this completely wrong) is that manufacturers and devolopers of equipment such as the EX3 and the Clip Browser software were required to license the MPEG codecs in use - both encoding and decoding. Licensing them requires royalties to be paid based on a number of variables. And (this is where I'm most unsure) in an effort to reduce those costs, Sony has selected a royalty level that is based on consumer use rather than the higher level commercial use.

So, I think I'll drink a couple of beers tonight in celebration of my going out of business and becoming simply a consumer, no longer charging for my work. My clients will love the new pricing. No more paperwork or taxes to fuss with. Before long, not even a mortgage to concern myself with. Boy, this is really going to simplify life!
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

SD downconvert results

Hi,

Could someone confirm that the SD downconverted clip via browser 2.0 will be featuring the original parameters, such as:
progressive clips remain progressive?
Thanks,
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
I'm a little confused by the two Explorer windows on v2.0. Can someone explain the difference for me?
It opens up additional possibilities such as filling a card with a compilation of clips from various other cards. We demonstrated this ability in the EX workflow pavilion at NAB.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #12
Major Player

Can anyone confirm:

I'm getting only 4:3 options to downconvert to DV in CB2 and no options for codecs - is this an xml edit job to build new templates or am I missing the obvious?

Paul
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I just downloaded the updated version of the XDCAM EX Browser.
I found more choice of exporting the original mp4 file in various formats. When I tried the Windows WMV format I get on the screen a commecial logo " Main Concept" and I cant get rid of it. Does that mean that I have to spend money to get rid of it. I have not seen any request to register any product !!
Francois Dormoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Dormoy View Post
Does that mean that I have to spend money to get rid of it. I have not seen any request to register any product !!
It's in the manual (as well as it being mentioned in the other CB2 thread). But here it is: MainConcept Conversion Packs,
Plug-In for Sony Clip Browser 2.0

George/

Last edited by George Kroonder; July 20th, 2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old July 20th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #15
Trustee

Roughly USD 450 for the two codec packs and I can't find any details on the licencing. At that price a Vegas 8 licence seems like a bargain.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds