DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony XDCAM Browser 2.0 Released!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/126065-sony-xdcam-browser-2-0-released.html)

Torv Carlsen July 16th, 2008 10:46 AM

Sony XDCAM Browser 2.0 Released!!

Sony's updated version of the XDCAM Browser software, 2.0, has been released and is available for immediate downloading.

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/software.htm

Steven Thomas July 16th, 2008 11:02 AM

Torv,
LOL, thanks man, but you're a day late. Bill posted this Yesterday in the thread just below yours.

Torv Carlsen July 16th, 2008 11:10 AM

Yeah, I realize that now. The only thing is that his headline doesn't indicate that it is released. I thought there needed to be some clarification, not that I'd want to one-up Bill!

Matt Davis July 17th, 2008 06:43 AM

License Agreement?!

This may be one of the pitfalls of today's 'copy & paste' culture that neglects to read boiler plate, but even the briefest cursory glance showed up the following:

"You may not use this software for any commercial purpose"

Really? Message to Sony:

If I can't shoot a building or an event 'for any commercial purpose' then it could be argued I can't use this software for any commercial purpose. If legal boilerplate is to carry any weight at all, then it needs to be carefully crafted.

Sure, I'll still use it if it works. But with clauses like that, should we bother with legal disclaimers?

George Kroonder July 17th, 2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Daviss (Post 908645)

Really?

Check out the EX3 manual pages 151/152. No such limitation mentioned in the EX1 manual though...

George/

Ted OMalley July 17th, 2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Kroonder (Post 908736)
Check out the EX3 manual pages 151/152. No such limitation mentioned in the EX1 manual though...

George/

Where can I download the manual? I can't find it on Sony's site.

George Kroonder July 17th, 2008 01:55 PM

Check CH's sticky post: XDCAM EX series brochures and operator manual downloads

George/

Dave Morrison July 17th, 2008 02:07 PM

I'm a little confused by the two Explorer windows on v2.0. Can someone explain the difference for me?

Ted OMalley July 17th, 2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Daviss (Post 908645)
This may be one of the pitfalls of today's 'copy & paste' culture that neglects to read boiler plate, but even the briefest cursory glance showed up the following:

Really? Message to Sony:

If I can't shoot a building or an event 'for any commercial purpose' then it could be argued I can't use this software for any commercial purpose. If legal boilerplate is to carry any weight at all, then it needs to be carefully crafted.

Sure, I'll still use it if it works. But with clauses like that, should we bother with legal disclaimers?

I'm no attorney (thanks to some good sense, morals, and a desire to be creative with things other than the law), but after reading this and visiting www.MPEGLA.com, it seems pretty clear.

We can use our cameras and clip software and editing systems to shoot, compose, render and produce all the web and DVD material we want. We just can't sell anything or use it to promote our business or another business. My understanding (and I may have gotten this completely wrong) is that manufacturers and devolopers of equipment such as the EX3 and the Clip Browser software were required to license the MPEG codecs in use - both encoding and decoding. Licensing them requires royalties to be paid based on a number of variables. And (this is where I'm most unsure) in an effort to reduce those costs, Sony has selected a royalty level that is based on consumer use rather than the higher level commercial use.

So, I think I'll drink a couple of beers tonight in celebration of my going out of business and becoming simply a consumer, no longer charging for my work. My clients will love the new pricing. No more paperwork or taxes to fuss with. Before long, not even a mortgage to concern myself with. Boy, this is really going to simplify life!

Attila Cser July 18th, 2008 10:25 PM

SD downconvert results

Hi,

Could someone confirm that the SD downconverted clip via browser 2.0 will be featuring the original parameters, such as:
progressive clips remain progressive?
Thanks,

Greg Boston July 18th, 2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morrison (Post 908844)
I'm a little confused by the two Explorer windows on v2.0. Can someone explain the difference for me?

It opens up additional possibilities such as filling a card with a compilation of clips from various other cards. We demonstrated this ability in the EX workflow pavilion at NAB.

-gb-

Paul Newman July 19th, 2008 06:36 AM

Can anyone confirm:

I'm getting only 4:3 options to downconvert to DV in CB2 and no options for codecs - is this an xml edit job to build new templates or am I missing the obvious?

Paul

Francois Dormoy July 19th, 2008 09:00 PM

I just downloaded the updated version of the XDCAM EX Browser.
I found more choice of exporting the original mp4 file in various formats. When I tried the Windows WMV format I get on the screen a commecial logo " Main Concept" and I cant get rid of it. Does that mean that I have to spend money to get rid of it. I have not seen any request to register any product !!

George Kroonder July 20th, 2008 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francois Dormoy (Post 909635)
Does that mean that I have to spend money to get rid of it. I have not seen any request to register any product !!

It's in the manual (as well as it being mentioned in the other CB2 thread). But here it is: MainConcept Conversion Packs,
Plug-In for Sony Clip Browser 2.0

George/

Bob Grant July 20th, 2008 06:55 AM

Roughly USD 450 for the two codec packs and I can't find any details on the licencing. At that price a Vegas 8 licence seems like a bargain.