Washed Out Appearance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Washed Out Appearance

I'm loving the Sony EX-1 but the trouble I'm having is getting footage to look good on the computer.

When viewing it on my HDTV everything looks fine. The blacks are crisp, exposure is fine. But when I import footage into the computer which is hooked to an sRGB calibrated LCD monitor things look too flat. Compared to footage I've seen all over vimeo my stuff just looks plain washed out.

Will Black or Black Gamma help me get the appearance of the HVX200's default look? I'm fine with losing a little dynamic range as long as my video looks decent online.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter View Post
I'm loving the Sony EX-1 but the trouble I'm having is getting footage to look good on the computer.
I'm fine with losing a little dynamic range as long as my video looks decent online.
You're not losing dynamic range, your getting more. Your computer is capable of displaying far more colors than the average TV and works in different color space. So adjustments need to be made for this.

I am sure others will come along and explain the difference in setup, IRE, how to use the waveform monitor, color space, etc.
Old July 18th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
You're not losing dynamic range, your getting more. Your computer is capable of displaying far more colors than the average TV and works in different color space. So adjustments need to be made for this.

I am sure others will come along and explain the difference in setup, IRE, how to use the waveform monitor, color space, etc.
You know it's interesting you say this because my EX1 still frames/video are from PC exportation. Last year when I shot everything HD with the HVX200 all footage was recorded in Quicktime with a Firestore 100 drive. The stills I exported were done on a Mac and when I tried to do the same exporting from within Windows the gamma for the HVX (same videos) looked washed out. So, are Macs just setup with a different color space (equal to TV) or gamma (I remember the 1.8 vs. 2.2 issue) or what?

Perhaps a lot of these clips on Vimeo were made in Final Cut Pro and when using Compressor it converts the profiles automatically?
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

There have been reports that the gamma is off and some video created using a mac can
show washed out video....

here's Red's solution..

http://www.red.com/faq/i-am-noticing...s-why-is-that/
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds