What do they mean with "shutter off" ? :) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What do they mean with "shutter off" ? :)

Hi :)

what exactly is ment when the shutter is set to off. ?

I mean, of course there is a shutter involved or we wouldn't get moving pictures ...
So ist this maybe 1/25 for 25p ? Which means in general: shutter like the framerate ?

Thanks for any idea ...

Peter
Peter Rixner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Correct. Shutter off (on the EX1) means that at 25p the shutter is 1/25.

At 24p it's 1/24, etc.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli View Post
Correct. Shutter off (on the EX1) means that at 25p the shutter is 1/25.

At 24p it's 1/24, etc.

Can someone confirm this?
I've heard this said many times and yet the slowest shutter I can get on the EX1 is 1/60 in SP shooting 50i. The manual indicates that in HQ the slowest shutter speed at 24/25p is 1/33 and yet the largest shutter angle is 180deg.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Major Player

The slowest settable shutters with the shutter "on" are as you stated in your post.

To get the longer shutter times (equal to the frame rate), turn the shutter off. This gives a 360° shutter (very slightly less, actually).

I have confirmed this with my own tests, long ago, for the EX1 and this is fairly common in other cameras.
Old July 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Wrangler

What Eric said. Shutter off = no shutter = frame rate. If you are shooting 25 frames per second, you have an exposure time of 1/25 sec in shutter off mode.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #6
Major Player

"What Eric said. Shutter off = no shutter = frame rate. If you are shooting 25 frames per second, you have an exposure time of 1/25 sec in shutter off mode."

What's the effect of the shutter angle settings on this?
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The shutter off is a complete bug. Hopefully, Sony will make shutter OFF as 1/48th in 24P mode. The problem comes when you engage the fully automatic controls, which puts the shutter at 1/24 (360 degrees) which is completely wrong when shooting in 24P mode. Why Sony did this is beyond stupid. I hope they come with a firmware fix for this glaring issue.
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Holb View Post
The shutter off is a complete bug. Hopefully, Sony will make shutter OFF as 1/48th in 24P mode. The problem comes when you engage the fully automatic controls, which puts the shutter at 1/24 (360 degrees) which is completely wrong when shooting in 24P mode. Why Sony did this is beyond stupid. I hope they come with a firmware fix for this glaring issue.
Sorry, that's incorrect. It's not a bug. It's the way higher end cameras work. The EX borrows from it's higher end siblings of the broadcast world. Granted, it has only been the past few years that high end video cameras shot anything other than 60i/NTSC or 50i/PAL where a 1/60 or 1/50 shutter (ie no shutter... switch off) is considered the norm.

Professional video cameras have a shutter on/off switch. It works as it's supposed to. It does not work the way consumer cameras tend to work.

Once again, turning off or disabling the shutter means your exposure is equal to the frame rate, aka 360 degree shutter. It works the same way on my F350 camera.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #9
Trustee

OK, I just had a play around with this.

a) It works as described by several people here in 1080/25p. It'd be nice if the manual managed to get the story straight.

b) In 1080/25p I can select shutter speeds of 1/33, 1/50, 1/60 and 1/100 etc. If I'm in 1/33 and switch Shutter Mode to Angle exposure jumps up as the camera changes to 180deg when it should be 270deg but that's not even an option.

To add to my confusion the Shutter On/Off switch is disabled in Full Menu mode and there's also control through the TLCS menu. I think I need to spend more time with this, the interaction of several controls and the lack of clear documentation can be bewildering in the heat of the moment.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark OConnell View Post
"What Eric said. Shutter off = no shutter = frame rate. If you are shooting 25 frames per second, you have an exposure time of 1/25 sec in shutter off mode."

What's the effect of the shutter angle settings on this?
None. The shutter angle concept applies only when the shutter is on. Shutter off = 360° shutter.

I agree with the above posts that the shutter angle has too few options. It would be nice to have 220°, for example. But if you want extra options, such as angles greater than 180°, use the shutter time mode instead.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:03 AM   #11
Regular Crew

sssssooooooo

soooo
what combination of shutters and shutter angles are people using
and to what effect?

just starting to get my read around the way shutter controls work in video cameras but it's still confusing

any tips??
Wes Thomas Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:44 AM   #12
Major Player

the norm for me, and I think most is:
1/48 shutter for 24p
and 1/60 for 30p

but I use shutter off to gain a stop of light without activating gain in certain conditions. There will be more motion blur but I find in many cases the motion blur is preferable to extra gain.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:07 AM   #13
American Society of Cinematographers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Holb View Post
That would incorrect -- shutter off means no shutter, so at 24P, that would be 1/24th.

1/48th at 24P definitely involves using a shutter, a 180 degree one in spinning mechanical film shutter angle terms. So it would make no logical sense for a camera set to shutter OFF to actually set the shutter ON. OFF is OFF, no shutter, i.e. a 360 degree shutter, 1/24th at 24P.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds