Format or Delete All Clips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 20th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Format or Delete All Clips?

In the Vortex Media EX1 DVD Doug mentions that Delete All Clips is the better option because format deletes picture profile settings data. However I'm not so sure of this.

With digital SLR cameras I've ALWAYS formatted the card due to junk potentially cropping up. Supposedly it's a better method of destroying data so that there is less chance of memory card errors, etc. All I know is that I've been doing it all along and only had one corrupt memory card due to idiocy on my part (I didn't choose "Safely Remove Hardware" in Windows and swapped a memory card out of the camera with it still plugged into the computer).

So...is Delete All = format? Or does formatting do a semi-010101 erase or a defragging of some sort? I really could care less about the profiles because I don't plan on transferring them to the computer and have all profiles saved under Excel files on the computer for recall later on.

Just in case I'm misunderstood formatting cards does not mean your picture profiles get erased. It simply means that if you saved your profiles to a memory card THAT will be erased. The profiles are stored in your camera's own memory and will not be deleted.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:34 AM   #2
Trustee

Adam.
Picture profiles are indeed saved on the camera, although they can be supposedly saved on a card, although a don't know how.

Anyway, reformat isn't neccesary, if you delete the clips from the card using clip browser then the card can go straight back into the cam ready for shooting, no formatting needed.
However if you delete using windows then you'll need to reformat.

Paul.
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I prefer to format the cards but I want to preserve my settings in case I mess them up or there's some kind of error.

Easy remedy for me was to backup the camera settings folder to my mac. I double-checked that I could retrieve them from the mac, then I formatted the cards as usual.

In case I need them, they are safe on the mac.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds