Clip Browser 2.0 Plug Ins at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Clip Browser 2.0 Plug Ins

Just curious if anyone has actually purchased the MainConcept plugins for clip browser 2.0? If so, does anyone know if either of the plugins will let you import .mxf files.

Thanks

David Schmerin
David Schmerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM   #2

I see no reason to spend that kind of money. Cineform Neo is cheaper, gives 10 bit, 4:2:2, cross-platform capability for less $$$$ and better tech support. There are other 3rd party vendors with cheaper solutions than what MainConcept is offering. The only really unique thing MC offers is convenience. It's not $500 worth of convenience IMHO. For that matter, 10 bit 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, can be had for a pitance at Bitjazz-SHEER, and it's a cross platform codec.

Last edited by Bill Ravens; July 22nd, 2008 at 03:14 PM.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
I see no reason to spend that kind of money. Cineform Neo is cheaper, gives 10 bit, 4:2:2, cross-platform capability for less $$$$ and better tech support. There are other 3rd party vendors with cheaper solutions than what MainConcept is offering. The only really unique thing MC offers is convenience. It's not $500 worth of convenience IMHO.
Bill,

A Sony forum administrator indicated today that Vegas 8.0c will support XD CAM 4:22 when they release the update:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...237&Replies=11

He also said:

"If you are shooting/importing from the EX, there is no point in converting to 422 MXF- just choose MXF and don't change the bitrate- all the shooting modes of the EX will open in Vegas 8.0b."

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM   #4

John...

I would take anything a "Sony spokesman" says with a grain of salt. Certainly, importing 4:2:0 data isn't going to look any better importing it as 4:2:2. Having said that, however, the minute you start pushing those color bits around for color timing, keying, or FX, that is an inaccurate statement, at best. Being able to compute at a level one order of magnitude better than the original record media will result in enhanced results. 4:2:0 is not a terribly forgiving format.
...and, no matter how you slice and dice long form GOP, to paraphrase WC Fields, all things considered, I'd rather edit in wavelet

Last edited by Bill Ravens; July 22nd, 2008 at 07:24 PM.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
I see no reason to spend that kind of money. ... It's not $500 worth of convenience IMHO.
Agreed. After investing in FCP, with Compressor, adding on Flip4Mac to get WMV, and a few other small apps (MPEG Streamclip, FFmpegX, Visual Hub, on and on) I'm just not seeing any reason to throw down $500 for another workflow option.

Its far to little, way to late.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds