BH Shipping my EX3 today! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Major Player

BH Shipping my EX3 today!

Just got the email.

Only marred by the fact that I am now 2,500 miles away in Trinidad - as of 12 hours ago. Oh well - guess that justifies another trip to NY soon to do some more shopping. At least I got 6 lenses past customs on the red-eye...

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Justin.
Were you able to buy from B&H in New York and have the EX3 shipped to the UK? I was told by B&H that they are not allowed to sell XDCam products to customers in Europe. This was due to Sony USA restrictions.

Svein Rune
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Major Player

True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand View Post
Justin.
Were you able to buy from B&H in New York and have the EX3 shipped to the UK? I was told by B&H that they are not allowed to sell XDCam products to customers in Europe. This was due to Sony USA restrictions.

Svein Rune
You are correct.

Right now, I'm doing some work for a client in the Caribbean, so it's easy for me to pop up to NY to buy. I had it shipped to one of my aunts who lives there and so she has graciously received dozens of beige boxes strapped with B&H tape. I'll be going back there soon to collect the EX3 and pick up some other great stuff. I can tell you that they refused my UK cards point blank but flights to and from Trinidad cost less than customs & duty would. Much less.

I don't think it would be fair to Sony, B&H (or my future relationship with them both) or any other dealer to explain how I managed payment so shoot me a private email if you want to know how I did. You can probably guess though. They (B&H, Sony) would all probably say that I'm taking the risk in terms of maintenance and firmware updates: regarding the former, I can factor in the costs of maintenance and shipping into my jobs; regarding the latter, I'd be surprised if this isn't either solved by Sony relenting on the back-to-base stipulation (because of the potential size and individually-resourced nature of the EX community relative to the XDCAM community's more corporate demographics) or the community of EX users enabling each other to apply their own updates - but these b-t-b costs could still be factored into one's fees.

Jus.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Anyway.

Svein,

You know the guys at B&H said that they were getting a boat load of EX cameras in. More thane enough to cover current orders. So why not reserve one by phone (tell them you're out of town, somewhere nearby), book a long w/e flight (they're closed on Saturdays but open Sundays), buy a camera and bag, do some shooting around 8th and 9th Avenues and 34th Street, get some sushi, stay up all night(s) and fly back?

Maybe you could use the footage for some upcoming projects that you could sell? Recycle that workflow/content, dude!

Got to be the way forward - you know it - I know it! ;^)
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Justin,

Since you are currently away and busy, you should let me have your EX3 now and I'll let you have my EX3 next week! :)

(I hate this waiting!)
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey...

You should be an AD - very neat scheduling there Ted! Who needs delays?

Off to watch Californication again with my wife. Great writing.

Jus.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Yes, one of our favorite shows! Enjoy.
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds