DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 Feedback? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/126506-ex3-feedback.html)

Markus Bo July 23rd, 2008 09:18 AM

EX3 Feedback?

Hi guys,

I can't believe it. As many others I am keen on reports from EX3-owners and almost nothing to read. Come on, tell us your experience!

Markus

Ted OMalley July 23rd, 2008 10:42 AM

I'm curious about audio right now. I'm wondering how well (or not well) the onboard mic performs and what mics fit well with the size of the camera. Also, is the mic holder substantial enough to support a good shotgun, or will we need a workaround like with the EX1?

Andy Wilkinson July 23rd, 2008 10:59 AM

Initial information on DVinfo already suggests the audio will be pretty good (don't forget, it's not the highly compromised HDV audio compression system - the EX1/EX3 are capable of 16 bit 48Khz PCM audio). But, as always, if you want better audio then use an alternate system (like a digital audio recorder with, for example 24 bit at 48 or 96 kHz) and then add it back in post. I expect the onboard mics to be identical to the EX1 - they certainly look it - which means that they are good for nothing other than rough audio cue marks etc. (in my opinion) - useable for run and gun if you're pushed maybe but it depends on your needs/standards.

Again, information on here (unfortunately) suggests the Sony mic holder is poor/liable to break very easily - it's looks exactly the same. Shame on you Sony.

Myself, I've bought a Rode NTG-3 shotgun (on reputation - looks like I made a wise choice!) and will use a Rode SM3 Suspension mount (for the nearby shoe fitting). My mate has a NTG-2 on an EX1 and that works just fine (the NTG-3 is slightly shorter than that anyway).

Yes, we're all keen to get DVinfo user reports (!!!) but I guess that'll take a week or two as they start to get delivered - very few in the world have them right now - mine's hopefully arriving second week in August. I promise to report my experiences!!!!!

Alister Chapman July 23rd, 2008 02:12 PM

It rocks! Works very well with different lenses and I'm still trying to get used to seeing a good colour picture when looking through the monocular viewfinder. Overall it feels a little more plasticy than my EX1. The power switch is much easier to use than on the EX1, not perfect but certainly better. I've noticed that if you extend the shoulder pad there are two large threaded mounting holes on the camera body, don't know what they are for but they are pretty substantial. Also worthy of note is that the EX1 has that large duct running through the body, there is no duct on the EX3. The switch and button positioning on the EX3 is better and IMHO more logical on the EX3. I've tried the genlock and it works fine.

The mic holder can be removed, just two screws holding it on if you don't want it or wish to replace it. I find the built in mic does a pretty good job of recording ambient sound. I use a Sennhieser 416 most of the time and even with a long mic in the holder on my EX1 I have not had any problems with the mount.

My next big project is a 3D shoot using a pair of EX3!

Ted OMalley July 23rd, 2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 911053)
My next big project is a 3D shoot using a pair of EX3!

That'll be something to see! Are you building this for 3D LCD's like the Philips WOW or something else?

Brian Cassar July 23rd, 2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 911053)
... I've noticed that if you extend the shoulder pad there are two large threaded mounting holes on the camera body, don't know what they are for but they are pretty substantial...

Is it possible that these are there for future 3rd party attachments? I'm thinking maybe someone will come out with a V-mount battery solution to the EX3 something like the Canon one (where you attach a V-mount plate with a dummy battery to the EX3 and a D-tap outlet to an onboard light with a possible lemo outlet for a cordless mic)? I believe I heard that IDX are currently working on something for the EX3 and should be available for IBC.

Greg Laves July 25th, 2008 07:01 PM

I don't have an EX1 or EX3 to play with but I may have a suggestion about the mic mount. I have a V1 and I found that the professional Sony mic mount for their Betacam cameras will bolt up to the V1. The part number is CAC-1, if I remember correctly. It isn't cheap but it is plenty strong to hold any shotgun mic.

Ray Bell July 25th, 2008 07:46 PM

Close... buts its a CAC-12... not cheap but well built, full metal

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ne_Holder.html

Ned Soltz July 25th, 2008 09:17 PM

Per Sony catalog, CAC1 is discontinued. Current models are the CAC11A and CAC12. List price is $180

Rob Katz July 27th, 2008 04:23 PM

where are the ex3 real-world reviews?

it was my understanding that the ex3 had been delivered during this past week. surprisingly, i have not seen a rush of ex3 real world reviews as i have seen with the ex1, and before that the canon's a1 and before that all of the "latest-greatest" hd cameras to hit the market.

i have viewed phil bloom's thoughtful video and have read plenty of the production model reviews/release info but aside from the corporate hype, i really want to get a sense from the many folks with ex3s what they think of the camera?

i apologize in advance for my impatience.

i'm just hoping the ex3 solves several issues i had with the ex1.

ymmv

be well

rob katz

Bryan Shelley July 27th, 2008 04:38 PM

I'm right there with Rob.

I'm waiting to make a purchase of an EX1 or 3, but want to hear from a few that have it in there hands,(EX3, I mean).

Just exited to hear opinions, although I know it will take months for all the little issues to come to light.

You who have it are most likely playing with it this weekend. ;-} lucky sods

Bryan

Ned Soltz July 27th, 2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Shelley (Post 912547)
I'm waiting to make a purchase of an EX1 or 3, but want to hear from a few that have it in there hands,(EX3, I mean).

Just exited to hear opinions, although I know it will take months for all the little issues to come to light.

You who have it are most likely playing with it this weekend. ;-} lucky sods

Bryan

I'll have mine hopefully Wednesday--maybe Thurs-- and will be writing reviews for the boards, my site and for print publications.

Bryan Shelley July 28th, 2008 01:05 AM

Ned, Looking forward to reading your reviews, and all the other ones yet to come from others.

I always learn so much from everyone here. If it weren't for this site, I don't think I would have grown to know my much loved JVC HD100 so well. Sadly, it's got to go to make room for my new little friend the EX. 1 or 3 still TBD. I've already learned a ton from you all about the EX1 that has made my borrowed time with it so much better, Thanks

This should be a fun fall.

Bryan

Markus Bo July 28th, 2008 02:21 AM

Bryan, same story for me. I want to replace my HD101 and I don't know which cam to choose. It's a question of weight and quality....

Markus

Bryan Shelley July 28th, 2008 03:29 AM

Markus,

I'm finding it a hard choice myself. I don't mind the weight much but it's hardest for me to choose the ergonomic design. I was never a fan of the canon style that sony chose to go with for the EX3. I really wish they would have gone with the jvc's more normal shape. I like the feel of the sony HVR-s270, but I love the image and workflow of the EX cameras too much to go for more hdv. I'm still holding on to my V1U to use as a smaller B-cam.

I'd have already grabbed the EX1 and a shoulder brace, I figure it would be a lot like shooting with my old Arri-S or other film cameras I've used (only much lighter).

Strangely, I find the genlock on the EX3 to be a function I could really use on a number of occasions. Oddly I never really used the interchangeable lens ability on my HD100 much. Although that would be a nice feature, but with a Letus I'm not sure I'd need that.

There is a lot to be said for presence on set especially for those clients who like to think bigger is better. The EX3 would help with that over the EX1. Another reason I like my JVC so much.

I suppose I'm leaning more toward the EX1 at the moment, due to price. I figure I can get it with a good brace and other goodies for the same price as the 3. I'm just hoping that the 3 will have fixed some of the probs that have been encountered with the first EX, like the IR issue, flaky paint, and whatnot. I figure the paint issue has been fixed due the fact I haven't heard many people mention it for a while.

Boy, the more I ramble the more I find the decision more daunting.

Oh well, both are great units to be sure and I'm sure I'll be happy with whichever one I choose. Until the next camera comes along. :-}

Bryan