DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 - Extra SxS Card? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/126862-ex3-extra-sxs-card.html)

Ray Bell July 28th, 2008 04:40 PM

EX3 - Extra SxS Card?

I'm hearing some noise from the other side of the pond that Sony is
considering offering the extra SxS card on the EX3 purchase just
like you can get the 2 cards when you purchase the EX1....

Sure would make the difference in price between the EX1 much
easier to take.. :-)

Here's to hoping the sources are correct and there will be an
extra added for EX3 purchasers.

Jon Braeley July 29th, 2008 06:45 AM

I doubt this - unfortunately.

In fact, it was the opposite - I believe a card was never planned to be included and a card is not even listed in the manual. Before I got my EX-3 Sony would not confirm a card was included when I inquired.
I think they included a 8G card at the last minute - it was a surprise to me when I unpacked my EX-3 and found the card.

George Kroonder July 29th, 2008 07:24 AM

You heard right; here in The Netherlands the EX3 is offered as a package with the Sony PMW-EX3 camera, 2x SxS 8Gb card and 1x BP-U60 Battery; for the shapely sum of €8595 (or about $13495). I presume that is with two years of Silver Support.

Not exactly a price point to really get exited about... But hey it's about €500 under list.

George/

P.S. To be clear, this is not a Sony "bonus" SxS card... but maybe they'll do something at/for IBC.

Jon Braeley July 29th, 2008 10:43 AM

Woops - did'nt see the 'across the pond' bit!

I was talking with a rep at my dealer about the card, but only in the USA market, where it was debated on wether we got a card at all.
Seems logical that they would add an extra card to justify the higher price in Europe, but why not just offer a lower price? A lot of people are upgarding from EX-1's and already have enough SxS cards - are maybe you can never have enough.

George Kroonder July 29th, 2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 913755)
Seems logical that they would add an extra card to justify the higher price in Europe, but why not just offer a lower price? A lot of people are upgarding from EX-1's and already have enough SxS cards - are maybe you can never have enough.

I was (and really still am) a proponent of the 'shop local' principle and with the EX1 the difference was "only" ~€1000. Compared to the hassle for support, the EX being a new camera, FW upgrades at service centers, and the initial QC issues and all that it wasn't so attractive to get one from the states.

With the higher costbase here I expect 20-25% higher pricing and that is acceptable (not fun though).

However, now the difference is about 60% or almost a $5000 (€3000) "premium". That is "on the steep side" to understate it a bit. I've already figured out that I can hop on a flight to NY, visit friends in Texas and Idaho and be in the Venetian for the WSOP finals AND have plenty left over for incidentals/repairs.

I'm choosing to look at it like Sony wants to sponsor my social life more than it wants to sell me a camera over here.

George/

P.S. Sorry for the rant.

Jon Braeley July 29th, 2008 02:01 PM

It was like this when I lived in the UK - and I left there 20 years ago! I remember taking the cut-price Laker flights in the 80's to NY just to visit the camera stores.

In Europe you have VAT taxes - usually 17%, Clearing fees and import duty - these can add around 40% above a US price - then when you consider the currency xchange, the difference creeps so high that the risks with aftermarket service and warranty become moot.
I would not blame anyone from coming over to the USA and doing some shopping. Bring an empty camera case though!

George Kroonder July 29th, 2008 03:10 PM

We're veering pretty far off topic here. Suffice it so say that taxes are not the issue nor are increased costs for European companies compared to those in the US. These are pretty much a given and those can add about 20-25% before the sales tax (which can be recouped for businesses).

I believe it is a marketing decision to position the EX3 for broadcast and the way deals are done in that segment over here as opposed to the prosumer model. All (independant) Sony sales organisations should get the same ex-factory pricing and it is up to them to determine how they want to sell them.

At the current pricing, at least here in Europe, I feel they could do a little more for 'the little guy'.

George/

Larry Huntington July 29th, 2008 07:19 PM

So basically, no card is included with the US models? Anyone out there buying from US retailers that have the included 8gb card? If so, who?

Is there a 16gb card available? I didn't see it on B&H.

Larry

George Kroonder July 30th, 2008 12:09 AM

Yes, there is a 8GB card included with the US (and European) models.

I have noticed that the 16GB card doesn't show up under the EX3 accessories, but just those 'linked' items are just a selection. Simply search for the 16GB SxS to add it to your order. The same goes for the USB reader.

This thread was about a possible upcoming promotion for a second card (mail in rebate) like they had for the EX1 and to some extend if the currently included card may be dropped.

George/

Christopher Kuhn July 31st, 2008 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Kroonder (Post 914059)
Yes, with the US (and European) models.

sorry OT; Is there such a thing like US/Euro EX3 models at all? I'd suppose it's the exact same product all over the world this time.

George Kroonder July 31st, 2008 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Kuhn (Post 914565)
Is there such a thing like US/Euro EX3 models at all? I'd suppose it's the exact same product all over the world this time.

They are all the same except for the serial numbers, which designate the intended geographical region.

George/

Christopher Kuhn July 31st, 2008 05:00 AM

Thanks for clarification George.
Chris