Back Pack suitable for the EX-3... - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 12th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #46
Major Player

on flights ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
I doubt that even a small tripod will fit inside the Kata-502, not if you have accessories as well as the EX-3. With no accessories I guess a small (note:micro) tripod can go in the side compartment.
There is a tripod holder that comes with the bag. This is like a strong pouch that attaches to the side with velcro and adjustable straps - it will work for moderate sized tripods. I use the Miller Solo legs with DS-20 head, but it will not really work attached to the bag - tends to overbalance with the weight.
I have been packing my tripod, cables, cloths, etc. in a large hardcase suitcase with the head off. It all fits very well. I keep the camera in the shoulder bag. I too just bought a Kata 502 and hope ... please ... that it won't be a problem on international flights. In the past, I've used a smaller bag for a DVX-100 and a computer bag as take-on with no problems. I never take the JVC-500 out of Japan, so, I've never had to consider a large case to transport the camera. Forget the Sony Beta, which has a nice hard case for transport, ... I never use it anymore anyway!
One of the reasons I'm going to smaller cameras is the transportation question! Bigger cameras costs a lot as over-weight. I'm still paying over-weight but it's still reasonable ... sort of reasonable ... at about $400 to $500.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #47
Major Player

Dean, I went with the Kata due to past experience. I have had a few of them. Superb quality - one of the best built camera bags out there - and I have most brands laying around.
The balance on your back is great even full load capacity.

I used to pack my old Kata backpack until it almost burst - but not even a stitch or a zip failed in 6 years of hiking through Asian mountain terrain. There are very few options for back packs for the EX-3 and hardcases are shoulder style bags are not an option for me.
The Ex-3 is not an easy camera to pack.

Yes, I worry about the carry-on situation with airlines but I have no choice.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #48
Major Player

Love the mountains ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
Dean, I went with the Kata due to past experience. I have had a few of them. Superb quality - one of the best built camera bags out there - and I have most brands laying around.
The balance on your back is great even full load capacity.

I used to pack my old Kata backpack until it almost burst - but not even a stitch or a zip failed in 6 years of hiking through Asian mountain terrain. There are very few options for back packs for the EX-3 and hardcases are shoulder style bags are not an option for me.
The Ex-3 is not an easy camera to pack.

Yes, I worry about the carry-on situation with airlines but I have no choice.
You and I have a love of Asian mountains it seems! I will do a short film on one of the mountains near Tokyo as soon as I get my EX3. I'm thinking mountain ridges that look down on the city at sunrise! Not sure how that will play but should prove interesting!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #49
Major Player

Dean - just realized you are in Tokyo.

I filmed at most of Japan's zen monasteries in 2006 - took me to quite a few mountains in Japan - mostly around Kyoto and at Eiheiji Monastery. Also at Hakone near Tokyo which has some very nice views.
I film a lot of martial arts both in Japan and China. I plan to be in Japan in November - love to hear what you are doing in Japan.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #50
Major Player

Jon--why did you go with the 502 over the Petrol PCTB-3? A little less room for accessories, but 4" less H+W+D.
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #51
Major Player

Jon--Sorry, just saw your earlier post on why you chose the 502 over the Petrol. Has anyone tried the Petrol? Did you get one, Ted, and try it?
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #52
Major Player

Mike,

I seriously considered that Petrol, as it appeared to accommodate the camera fine. However, I realized that once in the case, there were almost no areas left for accessories (picture ad doesn't show an EX3 with it's HUGE viewfinder). I would prefer not to have a second bag for gear, if at all possible.

I opted for the Kata and I'm still waiting for it. I also purchased the rolling trolly and the divider kit. I've received everything but the pack - should arrive today. I'll report back when I've had a chance to play with it and figure things out.
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #53
Major Player

Thanks, Ted. I'll wait for your rundown before buying mine. I'd thought that the Petrol and my Brenthaven for the computer would work, but in mocking up the inside, it is a little tight. Just nervous about the size of the 502, as I fly puddle jumpers.
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #54
Major Player

Mike,

If you fly puddle jumpers, I don't think this will work for you. A lot of them really don't have much overhead or underseat clearance.

I just received my bag... Big, but not overly big. I've attached some pics of it - comparing it to a larger carry-on that I've never had a problem with. As a matter of fact, I frequently travel with the carry-on that is pictured AND a rolling computer case that is quite large (holds a 17" notebook, mouse, spare battery, charger, small still camera, handycam, their chargers, MANY cables (Ethernet, USB, Firewire, VGA), and one or two three-ring binders (plus dozens of other assorted items). The computer case is about 2/3 the size of the carry-on - so Jon's previous comment about having only one carry-on might really go a long way here. So, I don't expect much trouble with this for most airlines.

That said, in three weeks I'm going to Philly, and there were two direct flights out of Tampa - US Air and United. I referred to the baggage chart:

http://rickseaney.com/airline-carry-on-baggage-chart/

and I selected the US Air flight as it was more likely that I'd have no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Back Pack suitable for the EX-3...-kata1.jpg   Back Pack suitable for the EX-3...-kata2.jpg  

Old August 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #55
Major Player

HOWEVER...

The Kata STILL fits tight agains the viewfinder!!! NO matter how I orient the camera, short of moving it off-center so the viewfinder sits in the middle, some part of the upper portion of the bag is in direct contact with it - to the point of the bag being slightly reshaped by it.

I don't think any other backpack case would be an improvement, I think this has more clearance than any other case.

Perhaps the 1/2" tall camera plate that I have on the bottom of my camera is making a difference - not sure. It's not like it's constantly under stress, I just wouldn't want the back pushed hard or struck in that location. Here's a picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Back Pack suitable for the EX-3...-kata3.jpg  
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #56
Major Player

Okay, more experimentation...

I've offset the camera within the bag - the interior is quite configurable but, of course, things always fit best in their default position.

Anyway, I've moved the camera and it seems to have alleviated the pressure against the viewfinder. Since I have the extra divider material, which can be cut, I will probably customize it completely for this camera.

Here's the pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Back Pack suitable for the EX-3...-kata4.jpg   Back Pack suitable for the EX-3...-kata5.jpg  

Old August 13th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #57
Major Player

Great info. Thanks, Ted. I think a better alternative for me is the two cases. But the Petrol is on back order everywhere for 6-10 weeks (!) ,and I've got a shoot next month. I've been staring at that little Phillips head screw on the viewfinder and am sorely tempted to see if it will actually come off. I'm sure some brave soul has already tried.
Old August 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chandler View Post
Great info. Thanks, Ted. I think a better alternative for me is the two cases. But the Petrol is on back order everywhere for 6-10 weeks (!) ,and I've got a shoot next month. I've been staring at that little Phillips head screw on the viewfinder and am sorely tempted to see if it will actually come off. I'm sure some brave soul has already tried.
Not that I'm a brave soul or even tried (at least, I won't admit to it!), but that screw simply allows the gray/black plastic arm cover to be removed. Once removed you can see all the individual wires for the monitor and the controls as well as four screws that would allow you to disassemble the viewfinder. Of course the super-fine wires are not ones I'd want to give the job of supporting a dangling viewfinder to!

Too bad it isn't a quick-release type of connection like a lens!
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #59
Major Player

Aha! You must be reading from the "Do Not Try This At Home Viewfinder Disassembly Manual".
Old August 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #60
Major Player

Nah, just used my X-Ray vision (had to remove my UV contacts for it to work right, though).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds