DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Back Pack suitable for the EX-3... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/127008-back-pack-suitable-ex-3-a.html)

Dean Harrington August 16th, 2008 02:26 AM

Hey, just saw this ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 919996)
Dean - just realized you are in Tokyo.

I filmed at most of Japan's zen monasteries in 2006 - took me to quite a few mountains in Japan - mostly around Kyoto and at Eiheiji Monastery. Also at Hakone near Tokyo which has some very nice views.
I film a lot of martial arts both in Japan and China. I plan to be in Japan in November - love to hear what you are doing in Japan.

Drop me a line before November ... we'll get together! I'm working corporate mainly but I'm getting back into narrative with the EX3. ... Forgot to mention I teach taichi chuan in Tokyo, so, you may want to connect on that level as well.

Larry Huntington August 19th, 2008 02:53 AM

A future design option I would like to see on the EX3 is a detachable viewfinder just like the Canon XL series camcorders. Then we could all use our old bags. For me, I'm sticking with my tried and true LowePro Photo Treker which has seen the light of day of my old Canon L1. Yeah it's not the build quality of the Kata, but it's lasted me 11 years and I have traveled to 3 continents with no issues. The EX3 viewfinder does stick out a tiny bit with this bag, like the Kata, and I will have to be careful, but the bag works well for me and airlines don't blink an eye.

Ben Ruffell August 19th, 2008 02:11 PM

I figure that it should be a reasonably simple modification to add a bracket for the viewfinder, and add a cable with a plug on it. Allowing the unit to be removed.

I will look into it if it is an issue for me when my EX-3 arrives.

Ted OMalley August 19th, 2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Ruffell (Post 922152)
I figure that it should be a reasonably simple modification to add a bracket for the viewfinder, and add a cable with a plug on it. Allowing the unit to be removed.

I will look into it if it is an issue for me when my EX-3 arrives.

they'd probably need a 15 pin connector - there's a whole lot of wires going to the viewfinder!

Mike Chandler August 28th, 2008 04:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I just received my Kata cc-195 bag and wanted to report back my results for those (like me) who can't be shlepping the 502 on puddle jumpers. I'll put all my computer gear (17" MacBook Pro, plus 2 g-raid minis, etc) in my Brenthaven pack, which I strongly recommend for carrying a computer around.

The Kata is a very good fit for the camera, even with the Vinten base plate on it. Viewfinder and handle and mic are all shielded by the padding, nothing sticks out, and there's even an aluminum brace around the top to add to the cushioning.

My task was to get all my accessories into the bag. The 197 would have made it much easier, but I was worried about the carry-on potential for that bag, too. I wanted to fit: lens cap, lens adaptor, Sony PH-60K drive & cables, Sony SBAC US-10 card reader & cables, camera remote, SxS cards, charger, 3 BP batteries, Sennheiser shotgun mic, mic cable case, windscreen, Lectrosonic wireless kit, Countryman wireless mic kit, hip pouch (for receiver), Sony headphones, grab bag, 2 Tiffen filter cases, lens cleaner & filters, white balance card, camera manual, spare batteries, pens, etc.

Using an extra Kata divider kit, I fit everything but the USB drive, which should go (and fits easily) in the computer bag anyway. The Lectrosonic sticks up fractionally, but the lid still closes easily and, if anything, that only adds to the protection of the camera. Granted, this is a tight fit. It helps if I remove the mic kit before removing the camera, I need to guide the camera gently into place, and there's zero room for additions. If I get the Dolgin charger or need another wireless mic, they'll have to go somewhere else. But that's a small trade-off for being able to carry the camera on. Based on what I'm reading, the biggest problem in finding a good bag for the EX3 is protecting all of its "appendages", and this bag does that in spades. My only beef is that it would be nice to have an extra inch of width in the outside pocket, which is too narrow to hold much more than flat items like the white card, releases, filter cleaners, and manual.

I got the bag at EC Professional in NY. That's where I got the camera and much of my new gear. They've been great to deal with, and their prices on accessories save a lot. (they've got a pix of this bag up on their site with a longer Canon lens--but that would leave little room for accessories.)

Jon Braeley August 29th, 2008 06:13 AM

I can see you work for Nasa - Quite a feat!
I looked at this bag, as I have been a fan of Kata for many years. My biggest problem here, besides my MacBook not fitting in the bag, was useability.
It's great that the Ex3 fits - and some accessories - but how on earth can you shoot on location? I went with the 502, not just because my laptop fitted and many other accessories, but that the EX3 was easily pulled out and ready to use - without anything else being disturbed. Thats a big plus for me, as I often haul my bag up trails and mountains and worry about all the gear spilling out when it's time to shoot.

Also how do you deal with two backpacks, one for your laptop? Have you tried both as carry-ons? This camera certainly gave us some problems with bags, especially now that a laptop is compulsory for locations. My concern is having ALL my gear in one bag, so I am not like a magpie looking for bits scattered around - especially traveeling through 4 or 5 countries like I have to. Second - I have a tripod bag to carry AND my luggage bag for clothes - so 3 bags already - A backpack, shoulder bag (tripod) and clothing on wheels!

Mike Chandler August 29th, 2008 09:10 AM

Jon, your shooting situation is different from mine. I am shooting docs on location, but generally dealing with one or two people and their interviews & verite in a day. I am usually within close range of either my car or some place where I can safely leave the case. When I start in the morning, the wireless and shotgun go into place, I grab the cable and spares bag, and I rarely, maybe once during the day, pack everything back in the bag, mainly because I don't want to remove the mic. Sometimes I even leave the camera on the tripod and set it in the hatchback to move to a new location. Putting everything back in the bag doesn't usually happen until wrapping for the day. If the bag's in the car, I usually just set the camera loosely in the bag anyways if I'm changing location. This was the way I handled the DVX100 in my Lowepro Commercial AW, and it worked fine, (and it, too, was packed to the gills).

As for disturbing other items if I need to grab the camera quickly, I need those two pouches on the top anyways, the windscreen drops in as soon as you pull the camera out, so the only item which needs moving is the wireless case, and even that I can leave if I'm in a hurry. I pull it out just because it makes it easier to remove the camera, but it's not necessary. We're talking 2 seconds tops.

Bottom line: I'd say that if you can carry the camera in the 502 with the shotgun attached, then you have an advantage, but if you need to remove the mic before storing, then any speed advantage over the 195 is lost.

As for having two bags, the computer bag's contents are for downloading only, so I'm not rummaging between bags for scattered bits. I bought the hard drive unit so that it would minimize the need for downloading during the shooting day. Between the drive, the 2 16's and the 8, I've got over 5 hours of shooting in a day, which is pretty much what my biggest day shooting on tape ever was. That means I'll take the computer bag with me on location, but probably won't need it until returning to the hotel at night. So I'm traveling with two, but working out of only one during the day. If I do need it, all the downloading equipment is in one place. If I know it's going to be a short shooting day, I don't even need to bring the computer bag.

If I were trekking up and down mountains, it would be a whole different ball game. I would want only one bag. Even so, packed the way I have it, I'm not worried about the contents spilling out. And I'll stress that this situation, as yours, is dictated by the particular circumstances of my location. I took all my gear up to our tiny airport yesterday, and will indeed be able to take both bags on our small prop planes. I don't know what will happen when onboard the larger carriers in Denver, but this configuration should be well within the carry on limits. I'll give a followup report after a shoot in a few weeks.

Jon Braeley August 29th, 2008 10:20 AM

I am not disagreeing at all - if you are not travelling overseas, the Kata 195 can be more than enough for your gear, considering you have a car nearby or crew to help.

I am a small independent one-man team that shoots in some fairly remote areas overseas. But there are many like me where one bag has to carry everything - inc. laptop. I havent found a tripod yet that folds into my camera-bag, so my Miller Solo sticks add a second bag, then I have clothes and my stash of coffee bags and energy bars in the third bag!
While I do have an assistant once I am there, transport is the biggest hurdle for me, not the international flights, but I may go from a train through Mongolia, to a bus in Lhasa - in the same week. I once put a tripod bag in the luggage compartment of a bus in China - the type that is underneath the bus or coach - only to find the floor had rusted away and my tripod along with all the passengers bags had fallen through 50 miles back!
Luckily, I never - ever, lose sight of the camera bag - golden rule for me.

Jonathan Massey June 23rd, 2009 05:09 AM

Great Compact Backpack for the EX3

6 Attachment(s)
Ok, It took me sometime to find a backpack which would serve my needs as being really mobile, sturdy and not big (kata is too big for me). this is perhaps a surprise candidate as the ultimate compact backpack for the EX3 but it works great!

It's a crumpler backpack called the "zoomiverse". This backpack is extremely modular (many pockets and compartments that can be easily configured) and fits the EX3 just right while leaving space for mics, wireless, batteries, cards, and extra stuff like warmcards. It can hook up an external tripod and has a removable belt that can be used separately while shooting. You can even put in a laptop (I have a 17" and it worked), but then it does really feel like a tight fit and I don't recommend it, but it is possible for short term (getting into a plane) and if you are careful and make as much space for it in the backpack.

This bag is the biggest back pack that crumpler made and sadly it is discontinued, but is still available on the market, from what I understood it was initially made for still photographers with a lot of extra lenses but I guess it was considered too big for them as now they only make the same ones but in smaller sizes.
So this backpack is really comfortable and the build is of high quality.

This backpack isn't for huge productions where you need a lot of extra gear but is perfect for traveling, run and gun and trying not to get too much attention.

I already had issues with this ex3 for being almost too big for my needs and I really didn't want to carry around me a backpack that will focus unwanted attention to me or just be a hassle to carry along, this backpack really answered my wishes. and it is much cheaper then other more known brands.
for more info just google crumpler zoomiverse.

the specs are:
Dimensions
Photo pouch internal 34x48x15.5cm
Laptop pouch internal 27x41x3cm
Overall External bag size 38x56x30cm

I added here some photos just to get an idea of how it can work with the ex3.
hope it helps with all those who are looking for that illusive compact yet efficient ex3 backpack.

John Peterson June 23rd, 2009 06:34 AM

Nice bag Jonathen,

For those of us in the US the bag goes by a different name. It is called the The Karachi Outpost.

http://www.ebags.com/crumpler/the_ka...modelID=116038

http://www.outlandusa.com/ProductDet...uctCode=CRUMKO

John

Jonathan Massey June 23rd, 2009 07:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks.
the Karachi is similar but I noticed some differences in the overall design.
It might very well also work with the ex3 but I can't say.
What I liked about the European version of the zoomiverse is the really flexible compartment dividers which don't seem to be added with the Karachi version. they really help with space efficiency (having my mics under the lcd hood as well as an inner closed compartment for the batteries) and extra added protection for the view finder.
Also the waist belt came with my backpack and with the karchai it is an optional accessory.
here are some more shots :)

Rodney Minott June 23rd, 2009 10:02 AM

Great Compact Backpack for the EX3

Thanks Jonathan. Did you look into the Petrol PCBP-3N Cocoon backpack at all for the EX3? Also, it looks like you're using a monopod...what kind is it, and how well does that work for you?

John Doody June 23rd, 2009 10:19 AM

Kata R-106 Rucksack

I bought this one for my HVR-V1U. I'm planning to upgrade to the EX1 or EX3 soon & I wanted something that would be large enough. It holds my cam, accessories, 17" MBP, & tripod (if I wanted to really kill my back) and it's smaller than the other Kata bag-which IMHO is HUGE! Too huge for me. As with the other Kata bags, you can add on the fanny pack, sling, etc. if you need the additional storage. I'm not in love with the tripod holder for my Sachtler 0475-wish it strapped it down a bit more securely. I prefer not to use the tripod holder just because it make everything a bit too heavy for one bag. I'd rather use the backpack & sling the sticks over my shoulder for better comfort. The R-106 also meets airline carry-on requirements-another thing that was important to me when I was making this purchase. I'd highly recommend this bag to anyone that likes the larger bag, but finds the size to be a bit too cumbersome.

Jonathan Massey June 23rd, 2009 11:14 AM

Rodney, I was seriously considering the petrol bag. and maybe would have gone for it. but the place that had it was closed, and I wanted to test the bag before hand. I needed a backpack fast and I already tested the crumpler in the past with the ex3 and knew it would fit nicely.
Also what I like about this bag is that it is even smaller. Doesn't look like a camera bag, or for that matter, expensive equipment. I love the many compartment dividers, they really maximize the space.
Also The crumpler is half the price! I had a crumpler already for my laptop and it never failed and it is really comfortable.

The other benefit is the waist belt which lets you attach more gear. and this is also an answer to your second question.

Though I also have a monopod, what's in the photos in the DVrig Junior DvRig Junior . It's a camera mount, but it is very versatile, built like a rock (almost all metal) but small and light, so I don't think I'll need to have it ever replaced. it has 2 steps with inner springs so it does a decent job in absorbing shock and it can go pretty high up (way above my head) but still be really steady. It connects via a holster which I hang on my detachable waist crumpler belt (much better for support than the one that comes with the DVRIG junior) and it connects around your neck with an extra strap (I also replaced that with a comfortable petrol strap) and added to it a quick release system. It's a bit pricy but it does the job really well for hand held events, can film for hours. it can tilt and pan as well but the essential in this configuration is that it is very compact, easy and fast to use, light and reliable.

ps the black color of the backpack is also a great plus :)

Rodney Minott June 23rd, 2009 05:26 PM

Thanks much, Jonathan. Looks like you've been able to configure a very nice set up.