DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony solution to battery drain on EX-1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/127287-sony-solution-battery-drain-ex-1-a.html)

Brent Ethington August 3rd, 2008 11:41 AM

Sony solution to battery drain on EX-1?

I read on another forum that Sony was 'repairing' the battery drain issue on the EX-1 by replacing some internal components. As this is the first time I've heard of it (and not seen references here on dvinfo), I wanted to find out whether anyone here had heard of this fix?

Sami Sanpakkila August 3rd, 2008 12:06 PM

I had my EX1 fixed at Sony a week ago and it works ok now.

Aaron Lucas August 3rd, 2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Ethington (Post 915923)
I read on another forum that Sony was 'repairing' the battery drain issue on the EX-1 by replacing some internal components. As this is the first time I've heard of it (and not seen references here on dvinfo), I wanted to find out whether anyone here had heard of this fix?

yep, I've heard of it.

Paul Kendal August 3rd, 2008 03:25 PM

how long was the turn-around-time for the battery repair?
What number did you call to arrange the repair?
Where did you have to send your camera?
Did they also update the firmware?

Noah Kadner August 3rd, 2008 05:40 PM

It's super easy to do- just call the Sony warranty number in your manual- 800-538-7550. (assuming you're in the U.S.) They typically turn it around in a couple of days. No sweat...

Noah

Serena Steuart August 3rd, 2008 06:29 PM

they've been replacing the external cabinets and updating the firmware for a while now.
Over the last 3 weeks there has now been a fix for the battery draining issue which involves replacing the 2 pwr supply pcb's.

Brent Ethington August 3rd, 2008 06:34 PM

ok - thanks. I'll give Sony a call.

Greg Voevodsky August 3rd, 2008 08:25 PM

I had my Sony fixed in 1 day in San Jose. I dropped it off, and picked it up the next day. they fixed the vignette problem, back focus, battery drain, and put on new painted section covers - replacing the worn off paint. So, far the camera seems good, I'll let you know after 10 days in Hawaii starting tomorrow. Aloha.

Robert Young August 4th, 2008 03:04 PM

I just got my EX back- the battery drain is fixed, but Sony California had the camera nearly a month, shipped it out to another customer, I just happened to call, causing them to check on it.
I'm not anxious to repeat the experience if i can avoid it.

Keith Moreau August 4th, 2008 04:21 PM

I called Sony support and the official turnaround is 7-10 business days. I'll have to drop it off at a time I definitely won't need the camera just so I'm not stuck. Either that or get a backup EX3 :)

John Gilmore August 5th, 2008 01:52 AM

I live in the UK but bought my EX1 in the US.

I assume that the warranty isn't global, so I either have to ship it back to the US or pay to have it done in the UK.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Brent Ethington August 25th, 2008 11:24 AM

Solution to battery problem works great

Just a follow-up... I sent my PMW-EX1 in for repair of the battery issue and now it works great - left a battery on for the last 48 hours and see no change in battery level (whereas it would be down to zero in about 12 hours or less). The description on my work order reads "perform upgrade for battery drain issue"

fyi

Wilson Chan August 25th, 2008 03:15 PM

Dropped off my camera a week ago and they fixed the battery drain issue, aligned the lens and upgraded the firmware to 1.11!