DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   IR Remote "off" with EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/127551-ir-remote-off-ex3.html)

Larry Huntington August 6th, 2008 09:10 PM

IR Remote "off" with EX3

For some reason, the IR remote turns off in the menu. Anyone else have this issue with the EX3? I turned it on last night and today it was off. All other menu settings seem to be holding.

Bruce Rawlings August 6th, 2008 09:22 PM

Just checked my EX1, it forgets when the camera is switched off and back on again. Since many people's remotes don't seem to work I suppose it is not a big issue! thought Sony may have fixed it on the EX3.

Larry Huntington August 6th, 2008 09:32 PM

Why don't they work? For an $8400 camera, I expect not to have to go into the menu to turn the IR remote every time I want to use my remote. Hopefully a firmware update will resolve this soon.

Rick Jones August 6th, 2008 10:48 PM

I think I remember it actually saying that the remote option turns off every time you turn off the camera. So I guess for Sony it's a "feature".

Larry Huntington August 6th, 2008 10:59 PM

A pretty ridiculous feature in my opinion.

Bruce Rawlings August 7th, 2008 01:41 AM

Because the remote (if it functions) only works when in front of the camera it is not much of a feature.

Larry Huntington August 7th, 2008 01:46 AM

I thought that was a bummer as well. There should be an IR sensor on the front and the back of the camera.

Greg Boston August 7th, 2008 01:47 AM

Fellows, it's supposed to work this way. Works the same way on my F350. The reason is because it is assumed that you might be doing work on a professional level with this camera. That being said, you don't want an 'inadvertent' IR command to be responded to by the camera (like, STOP, in the middle of an important shot). Therefore, you have to consciously enable the IR function every time the camera is powered on. On the F350, I can assign it to one of the assignable buttons so that I can turn it on or off as needed. But it still defaults to off every time the camera is powered up.

In a crude but related way, think of this feature like you would the safety on a gun.

-gb-

Larry Huntington August 7th, 2008 01:57 AM

Thanks Greg,
I totally agree with your argument. I just feel if they want to continue on assumptions in their programming, then I may loose more on features that I require. Perhaps more options in the menu to cover for these assumptions is the way to go.

Steven Thomas August 7th, 2008 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 917545)
The reason is because it is assumed that you might be doing work on a professional level with this camera. That being said, you don't want an 'inadvertent' IR command to be responded to by the camera (like, STOP, in the middle of an important shot).

Greg is exactly right. I'd rather have it off until I really need it.

Bruce Rawlings August 7th, 2008 07:47 AM

Greg I totally agree with your reasoning, personally I don't use the remote for anything serious but in my case it would be nice if it worked at all.

Dave Elston August 7th, 2008 08:53 AM

I would think a simple f/w update could add a secondary option in the menu...

IR at power up = NO CHANGE(Last state) // OFF // ALWAYS ON

Of course, like most here, I also prefer to 'have it off' ;)

Piotr Wozniacki August 7th, 2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Elston (Post 917680)
IR at power up = NO CHANGE(Last state) // OFF // ALWAYS ON

With these three options though, you would have to visit the menu TWICE to get the current functionality :)

Dave Elston August 7th, 2008 09:29 AM

Hi Piotr,

To clarify, the current ON/OFF commander option would still override the power-up option.
This would just need to be a sub-menu option that tells the EX1/3 IR receiver how you would prefer it to behave when you power cycle the camera. Same principle as with most PC's BIOS 'on-power-loss' setting.

Gints Klimanis August 7th, 2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 917601)
Greg is exactly right. I'd rather have it off until I really need it.

I'd prefer that you could turn it off/on in the menu. Then, as you'd like, it would be always off until you switch it on in the menu.

BTW, my remote doesn't work even when I switch on the IR menu command and point the remote at the front of the camera. The battery may have gone sour. I would have preferred a AAA battery that is easier to replace. The cutesy remote is almost too small to use. I wish Sony stuck with the size of the Z1 remote. Though, on the plus side, I do like the "joystick" pad on the EX1 remote. Too bad they didn't use the same control on the camera instead of the protruding joystick that requires a high degree of finger accuracy to maneuver.