new 32 Gb card - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #16
Major Player

I would certaily be interested. 4 32Gb cards would do me for a wedding no problem.

My guess is that 8gb cards could disappear very soon.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Benn View Post
What data rate will they permit - all? I ask because I was under the impression that 300X were necessary.

Jus.
300X required for data rates 100MBit & above.

133X tested good up to the 100MBit data rate.

These are the reported tests for the Transcend CF.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #18
Major Player

Ok

Thanks JR.

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Dear Justin and John,

Our testing, with the Transcend 32 GB 133x CompactFlash card shows that it works well at data rates up to and including 100 Mb. It is over 100 Mb that a faster card is necessary.

Over 100 Mb, or with the "Uncompressed Option", the much faster, but less capacity, Transcend 16 GB 300x card is required.

I must stress that these statements apply to the Transcend cards only, as these cards exceed their published specifications.

We do expect other fast cards (for their category) to come out.

We are expecting a 64 GB 300x card to be shipping before the end of the year, but still do not know the price.

If you do not need to run uncompressed, which most of us don't since 100 Mb (Long-GOP) is so good, then the Transcend 32 GB 133x should be a good choice.

For those that do not want "Long-GOP", and use the “I-Frame Only” option at 160 Mb, will need the faster card.

I am very comfortable making these recommendations, but as we get more units in the field
we may need to change our recommendations.

For example, we may find that in extreme heat or cold a faster card may be necessary.

Also, we will definitely change our recommendations as the technology advances and other great CompactFlash cards come on the market and we have fully qualified the new cards.

Personally, I purchased 4 of the 16 GB 300x cards so I would have the option of recording uncompressed, or 160 Mb I-Frame only. I consider this a luxury and not a necessity.

For those who do not want to, or cannot work with "Long-GOP" for any reason, the 16 GB 300x card is a better choice.

It is not obvious, but "Long-GOP" at 100 Mb is much better than "I-Frame Only" at 160 Mb, from a quality of image standpoint only. Our thoughts, and not scientific evidence at this time, are that "Long-GOP" at 100 Mb is probably close to "I-Frame Only" at 300 Mb. This is only theoretical as we cannot test "I-Frame Only" at 300 Mb.

I hope this helps.
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
You could also use the same analogy that the SLR still photo guys use....

If you damage or loose a 32gb card, there goes a whole lot of footage down the drain...

So the thinking is... more 8gb cards for less of a loss in case something happens...
As in, more cards increase the chance of mixing them up or losing them. For reliability and to guard against damage or loss, it would be cool if Sony offered a mode to write to both cards in parallel.

I'd be willing to pay for major feature upgrades in the Sony EX1, probably in the $100-$400 range. Their past model was to make money on media. With a closed system, they have an opportunity to make money on software (firmware) upgrades.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #21
Major Player

firmware V1.11 needed

Just been told that firmware v1.11 will be needed to recognise 32 gig cards.

Should be available in Australia next week.

Cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan Wood View Post
Just been told that firmware v1.11 will be needed to recognise 32 gig cards.

Should be available in Australia next week.

Cheers Vaughan
Are you reffering to the EX1? Am I right in assuming that the EX3 already accepts the 32GB cards?
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #23
Regular Crew

SxS = $expensive$
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #24
Major Player

"Are you reffering to the EX1? Am I right in assuming that the EX3 already accepts the 32GB cards? "

Yes, the EX 1.
Don't know about the Ex 3 and it's firmware.

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds