new 32 Gb card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 7th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

new 32 Gb card

http://www.broadcastbuyer.tv/publish...ty_17023.shtml
Jurgen Taghon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Nice find, Jurgen.

This should mean that we, the poor(er) EX1-cousin owners, should hope now for a major firmware update - including the 32 GB card and the HDD support.
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Pricing

At this rate, with current pricing structures, 32 and 64GB cards are going to cost an awful lot. It may be time for SONY to reconsider how long it can gouge people on media. The 32 card would cost in the order of 1/4 the price of the EX1 and the 64? Well, I think I'll stick to my 16GB cards and wait for a 'shake down' on price and more competition (if Sandisk, the OEM manufacturer of SONY cards, counts as competition).

Doesn't hurt that I intend to use CD's FLASH XDR and CF UDMA cards in the main though...

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Major Player

I think Flash XDR will be the way to go for top end work. The cost of the Convergent Design unit seems reasonable when the recording media is so reasonably priced.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Prices will always come down, much like the P2 cards did. I remember falling to the floor when I saw the price of the 1st generation of P2s. Wow!

heath
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You could also use the same analogy that the SLR still photo guys use....

If you damage or loose a 32gb card, there goes a whole lot of footage down the drain...

So the thinking is... more 8gb cards for less of a loss in case something happens...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
So the thinking is... more 8gb cards for less of a loss in case something happens...
Also important is the off-loading time required; the 8 GB card will be ready for recording to it again much quicker. I have just 3 x 8GB cards, and with my laptop, can shoot continuously for really long periods without too much stress.
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Major Player

32G cards do not make sense unless you happen to work in the oil business!

For the price of this card you can get a MacBook Pro - which does an awful lot more than this card can do. So you may have to swop out the cards every 30 minutes - but is that so bad. I mean we should start thinking like we are using film cannisters anyway which need to be changed every 8 minutes!

I'll wait thanks.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #9
Inner Circle

the future is in SSD drive anyway.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #10
Major Player

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
I mean we should start thinking like we are using film cannisters anyway which need to be changed every 8 minutes!
This is how I see it. I've been extremely fortunate in being able to invest in a number of items recently, including the XDR unit and am excited by the prospect that it might increase the useful/competitive working life of the EX3 I also bought - by this I mean prospective output quality and concomitant 'legacy' issues (although sometimes I think this is a bit of a red herring for indies like me and HD certainly ain't 2K let alone 4K).

Naturally, as prices of SXS cards come down, I fully expect those of high capacity CF cards to do so too, maybe more so ;^)

Jus.
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #11
Major Player

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois View Post
the future is in SSD drive anyway.
Maybe. However, I'd rather have dozens of inexpensive CF cards for archival purposes that I'll worry less about losing, damaging or replacing. Of course, this may all change in 5 years given the rate of change of all this digital!

Jus.
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #12
Major Player

Just bought 4 ea 32 GB / 133X UDMA Transcend Compact Flash Cards for $119 each for our XDR.

Posted this for the purposes of value comparisons.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
32G cards do not make sense unless you happen to work in the oil business!

For the price of this card you can get a MacBook Pro - which does an awful lot more than this card can do. So you may have to swop out the cards every 30 minutes - but is that so bad. I mean we should start thinking like we are using film cannisters anyway which need to be changed every 8 minutes!

I'll wait thanks.
Well I record a lot of IT user group talks that are always scheduled for "55 minutes to an hour" and ALWAYS over-run so that I've not yet managed to get one to fit on a single 16GB card. For conference recording etc 1 hour is pretty much the norm and 16GB isn't quite enough, so 32GB is good news for me.
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #14
Major Player

"The 32GB SBP-32 will be available from 11 August 2008'

Hmm, 3 days away.

Anyone know a price?

Cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #15
Major Player

Data rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
Just bought 4 ea 32 GB / 133X UDMA Transcend Compact Flash Cards for $119 each for our XDR.

Posted this for the purposes of value comparisons.
What data rate will they permit - all? I ask because I was under the impression that 300X were necessary.

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds