D-tap outlet from EX batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Major Player

D-tap outlet from EX batteries

In my endless search for the perfect accessory whereby I can power both the camera and a 20w on-board light, I came across this:

http://www.swit-battery.com/swit2006...es/S-8U62.html

Unfortunately I cannot find a detailed specification for this except that it is a 63Whr battery. Although it is a battery it seems that it can power the EX1 (and presumably the EX3) via the DC power input. Strange! Also there is no mention as to the wattage limit one can draw from the D-tap. I know that if too much drain is put on the battery this leads to a premature death of the battery.

Has anyone bought this?

I also saw that Hawkwoods have produced their own setup whereby one can use 2 Z1 batteries to power the EX1 (I do not think it can be fitted on an EX3 due to its shape) and an onboard light. Since I do not have such batteries I'm not eager to buy this product.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

There is some pretty sophisticated handshaking going on between the EX cameras and the batteries. My guess is Swit haven't yet worked out how to talk to the battery connector so they have to use the DC in.
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes...that's my gut feeling. In fact there are no alternative batteries for the EX's from any company as yet. And nobody has come out with a V-lock plate attached to a dummy EX battery so that we can use the trusted V-lock batteries.
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm getting this from Tapeworks. It's supposed to be usable on both the EX1 and EX3 and I'm hoping it'll also supply my Zylight. Not a cheap solution but supposed to run 6 hours.

Anton Bauer QR-EX1 Anton Bauer Under camera Gold Mount for Sony PMW-EX1 with built in Egripz

Anton Bauer Tandem70 Single Position charger

Anton Bauer Dionic90 Anton Bauer Anton Bauer Dionic90 Lithium-Ion Battery with 14.4V/90 WH
Rick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
There is some pretty sophisticated handshaking going on between the EX cameras and the batteries. My guess is Swit haven't yet worked out how to talk to the battery connector so they have to use the DC in.
Right on. Sony would not power up unless it is assured it is powered by its own battery. I hear it is not so easy to crack the Sony communication code, so I doubt there are any 3d party batteries in the pipeline...
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
In my endless search for the perfect accessory whereby I can power both the camera and a 20w on-board light, I came across this:

http://www.swit-battery.com/swit2006...es/S-8U62.html

Unfortunately I cannot find a detailed specification for this except that it is a 63Whr battery. Although it is a battery it seems that it can power the EX1 (and presumably the EX3) via the DC power input. Strange! Also there is no mention as to the wattage limit one can draw from the D-tap. I know that if too much drain is put on the battery this leads to a premature death of the battery.

Has anyone bought this?

I also saw that Hawkwoods have produced their own setup whereby one can use 2 Z1 batteries to power the EX1 (I do not think it can be fitted on an EX3 due to its shape) and an onboard light. Since I do not have such batteries I'm not eager to buy this product.

I'm very interested in this battery, but from the photos, it won't work for the EX3 without a change. Currently, the power cord is oriented in such a way that it will be at least two or three inches short of the DC input due to the orientation of the battery on the EX3 vs. the EX1.
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Ted I think you're right - the DC input is slightly further away for the EX3. In the meantime I managed to find a price for this battery - it is £118 (VAT included) which is cheaper than Sony's large battery whilst giving out more WHrs. I think I will still buy one and after a minor modification I shall be hooking it up to the second hot shoe (or should I say accessory shoe) on the EX3. I'm not interested in the Sony's hard disc so this shoe can be used for any accessory. By this way I will have a very short lead (D-Tap) from the onboard light going to this battery at the back of the camera. It will also help to make the EX3 back heavy which should not be a problem since it is shoulder rested. This Swit battery should theoretically power a 20 watt light for 3 hours which is more than enough for any ENG type of work.
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #8
New Boot

I'm using the Anton Bauer Dionic 90 with the QRP-EX1 Pouch Style adaptor specifically for the EX1. The Pouch keeps the weight off the camera and it also powers the Zylight with a dtap cable. It is a pricey setup but there's no worries with Anton Bauer.
John Hyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #9
Major Player

Brian,

I'm now VERY interested in this battery - of course your 118 number is in metric dollars, not US dollars. Probably be around $200 for me - still great price.

My favorite part of it is that is fills the battery bay. I would also make a modification, but my modification would be to extend the adapter. By the way, in case anyone is wondering, the DC input power jack fits a Type "D" Adaptaplug from Radio Shack.

Plus, I think I may get a hard drive as some point.

More weight on the rear of the camera, especially the rear right of the camera, will only help the balance. It became more and more comfortable to use as I weighted it down with about two pounds of battery, etc.
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Brian,I'm now VERY interested in this battery - of course your 118 number is in metric dollars, not US dollars. Probably be around $200 for me - still great price.

The 118 refers to UK sterling - found from a non-sponsor outlet and so I'll not mention the outlet. However your calculation is bingo correct! I think B&H are selling it:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=571124&is=REG

Since there isn't yet a photo I cannot be so sure that this is the same item. I will send them an e-mail to confirm.
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #11
Major Player

Looks interesting indeed! Do you know can you charge this using the Sony charger?

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #12
Major Player

An interesting question - I assume that you can. However I will be buying the Dolgin quad charger and I was going to ask Alex Dolgin such a question. Maybe if Alex will be seeing this thread he can give us some feedback (if he can aswer this question).

Since Swit does not have a charger for such a battery I'm assuming that the current chargers (i.e Sony's and Dolgin's) can charge it and most importantly do so without any long term damage to the battery.
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #13
Major Player

On the Swit website it says you can use the original (Sony) charger.

It's the same with all their battery types

Cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #14
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
An interesting question - I assume that you can. However I will be buying the Dolgin quad charger and I was going to ask Alex Dolgin such a question. Maybe if Alex will be seeing this thread he can give us some feedback (if he can aswer this question).

Since Swit does not have a charger for such a battery I'm assuming that the current chargers (i.e Sony's and Dolgin's) can charge it and most importantly do so without any long term damage to the battery.
As long as the Swit batteries are physically the same as Sony BP-UXX (I hear they are?), our TC400-EX will charge them - no problem. Cheers!
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #15
Major Player

I've written to Switronics for a review unit and hopefully they will respond.

Appears that it mounts in the EX-1/EX-3 slot but without Sony codes cannot power the camera. Thus, they take a tap from the battery to the DC-in of the EX. Seems very ingenious. If the battery itself works, seems like a worthwhile product.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds