hiss, hiss, hiss at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 8th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

hiss, hiss, hiss

Hi guys,

I just noticed recently that if I turn up the monitor volume to the max level on EX1
a very significant hiss can be heard from both audio channels.
(The input selectors are in external mic or the mic+48V position, regardless of having a mic actually connected.) Some hiss is also there when using the internal mic

Can someone confirm if this was a normal phenomena or my cam should be serviced?

( when no source connected and the audio inputs are in Line position there's no hiss at all)

Thanks in advance,

Atti
Old August 8th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hm,
Is there anybody out there having the extra 5 minutes and quickly would be able to test the hiss phenomena on her/his unit? pls.
Old August 9th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #3
Major Player

The S/N ratio and hiss is very dependent on the gain settings in the menues. This has been covered in an extensive thread that you can try searching for. In short - you have to make sure that the gain setting is opimized for you mic sensitivity to get maximum S/N. If you do hiss should not be a problem.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #4
Major Player

I think it is the monitoring amp. I have tried various headphones Sony and Sennheiser, both have low level even when monitor is on max. Have presumed that recording level is to be set at a position than gives same as auto- although I would not really use auto unless it is just for actuality fx.

Will do some tests this weekend with various mics.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #5
Major Player

It is the monitor amplifier.

Paul

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds