new ex1 firmware out - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 28th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #76
Major Player

OK I have just risked it and installed version 1.11 on my EX1. It went on very easily from version 1.02.

OK I unzipped the files into two folders, 1.10 and 1.11. Unscrewed the secret usb port ( had to go and buy a jewellers screwdriver set for a few pounds) connected the camera. The camera is recognised and your just follow the instructions in the PDF file.

Now first of all I installed version 1.10. At the back of the camera below the eye piece the red light flashes whilst the install takes place. Once I had installed 1.10 and closed the executable, the red light at the back of the camera continued to flash. I left it a few minutes then disconnected the camera and turned it off. I then turned the camera back on and went to the maintanance menu ( hold down menu, the select wheel and cancel at the same time. I checked the version. It still said 1.02. So it didn't install.

OK I thought, I will do it again, and this time continue straight on after installing 1.10 with 1.11.

1.10 took about 5 minutes. It said installation complete, so I then went and installed 1.11 whist the camera was still connected and red light at the back of the camera flashing. It took over ten minutes this time (a bigger file). Again it said installation complete, so I waited a few mins just to be safe, disconnected the usb, turned off the camera. Waited a few seconds then turned it on again.

I went into the maintanance menu, scrolled to the bottom and there it said........ (drumroll)..........1.11!

So it was easy really and takes from start to finish less than 30 mins, as long as you have a very fine philips screwdriver.

Job done, no hassle with finding out where to send it, no hassle with getting the relevant insurance, no hassle with not having the camera for a while.

Why on earth Sony want us to send our cameras in is crazy. For the times when the installation gets corrupted ( of which I should imagine there would be very few) then send the cameras in, but for 99% of us we could do this job very easily with the minimum of hassle.

Thanks goes to Oyvind for being the Guinea Pig and risking it, and also to Sony Korea for making the error of putting the software online in the first place.

Tonight one happy chappy.

Now, what exactly have I updated which will be of any use to me?

Last edited by Steve Shovlar; August 28th, 2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typos!
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #77
Regular Crew

Good Job!

So now you're calling me "The Oyvind". Thanks! Sounds cool.

I'm the kind of person that has got to have the newest version of everything.. So I figured I had to be the first :) Glad I could help.

I was hoping the S&Q motion would stay as it was set when the camera went off or to media mode.. and then stay that way when rebooting.. But it didn't..

Could you change speed with the select wheel in S&Q mode before? If not, you can now..

Other than that.. I didn't see much difference.. The main thing I found was that they changed "return" to an arrow.. Wooh! :D That was my #1 firmware wish.
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #78
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
oops the link is gone from the Korean site alr!
Sean I got my upgrade done at Sony Singapore free of charge. You can call them they will do the same.
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #79
Major Player

I remember hearing something about the firmware 1.05 fixing back focus issus BUT after upgrading the optics needed realignement. Could this not be the reason Sony wants to do the upgrades? The actual flashing is easy but after that you need to recalibrate stuff? I would not want to gamle and do it myself.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Delete this if you disagree, Chris.

If you still haven't got the firmware. It's still available from Sony's website. It cannot be illegal to download a previously published document, can it?
Old August 28th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyvind Stokkan View Post
Delete this if you disagree, Chris.

If you still haven't got the firmware. It's still available from Sony's website. It cannot be illegal to download a previously published document, can it?
i think its semantics. posting a link isn't bad per se, but posting a link to a file that the general public's access is in question... that's the sticky point. You can't blame him/them for not wanting Sony of Korea coming after this site for leading people to a download they might not want people accessing.

Just my $0.02 cents
Old August 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #82
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyvind Stokkan View Post
It cannot be illegal to download a previously published document, can it?
My previous point related to the illegality of *uploading* or otherwise *redistributing* a corporation's intellectual property.

As far as downloading from their own server, that depends on whether or not they want it to be publicly accessible. It may be there for internal use only, I don't know. But certainly you'll understand my wanting to play it safe by removing the link from this site (at least until I'm told by Sony that it's okay to link to the file).

The web is a big place, and there are plenty of other sites out there which are less scrupulous and / or not as well looked after as this one is... so I have no doubt that if you look hard enough, you'll find it elsewhere. My concern for liability issues goes no farther than the boundaries of my own domain.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #83
Major Player

from sony canada

1.11 upgrade summary

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/files/XDC...20Upgrades.pdf
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #84
Major Player

Sent my cam to Sony repair center to fix battery drain issue and to replace the panels (letters rubbing off) I also put a note on the repair order to upgrade cam firmware to 1.11 Got a call yesterday from the repair rep he said the panels are back ordered and did not know when my cam would be returned. on the plus side he did do the update on the cam. Bought another Ex1 last week from Tape Works do any of you guys have problem with the letters rubbing off on the B stock cams. Also I see the battery drain issue as been fixed.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #85
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Sent my cam to Sony repair center to fix battery drain issue and to replace the panels (letters rubbing off) I also put a note on the repair order to upgrade cam firmware to 1.11 Got a call yesterday from the repair rep he said the panels are back ordered and did not know when my cam would be returned. on the plus side he did do the update on the cam. Bought another Ex1 last week from Tape Works do any of you guys have problem with the letters rubbing off on the B stock cams. Also I see the battery drain issue as been fixed.
When I was at Sony HQ in June, I had raised a bunch of the issues that EX1 owners were having with their cameras. At that time, they indicated that all of the problems had been ironed out in the production line such that newer cameras should not have the battery drain, letters coming off, ND back focus shift, etc.

Don't know when your recent purchase went through the line, but hope it was June or later and you should be ok.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #86
Major Player

One word...."Success" 1.11
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #87
Regular Crew

Lucky Guys. Wish I could get my hands on it :)
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #88
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Tamigian View Post
Lucky Guys. Wish I could get my hands on it :)
Sony Canada is just waiting to liberate more money from you to do the firmware upgrade. The 64 dollar question -- are these Canucks even qualified or skilled enough to successfully upgrade firmware. Perhaps like the poster from Hawaii, Canadians may discover that their EX1 was sent to the Mainland USA ... for the procedure.

No news yet from Canadian EX1 owners and I suppose that should be encouraging??
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #89
Major Player

I upgraded mine to 1.11 and it went as smooth as butter. I had 1.03 The process is very simple and almost easier than upgrading my PS3. Also the voided warranty stuff may have been an issue if the firmware was different for each country but this is not the case... 1.11 is worldwide and for all cameras. Remember this is not just an NTSC camera and the reason the PDF in the download is in english is because this zip is meant for all the service centers not just Korea. The install is very straight forward and like someone else said it performs checksums and is pretty bulletproof unless you lose power mid install. I have performed much more difficult firmware upgrades on other devices.

I did not do this to avoid paying Sony.... I do not even plan to use 32GB cards or the hard drive unit... I just wanted my buggy menu fixed with no loss of work by not having a camera. My downtime without the Camera (well actually camera was on my desk in front of me) was about 20 minutes instead of 20+ days..... No shipping or insurance and the fear of it being actually damaged or lost in shipping.

Wake up Sony!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #90
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar View Post
I upgraded mine to 1.11 and it went as smooth as butter.

DITTO
smooth as butter ...just finished the update on my new Cam.. Still waiting for my other one to come back from service.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds