new ex1 firmware out - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 4th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #106
Major Player

Thanks Steve, all good and working perfectly, shot 39 mins onto Lexar 8Gb card that cost
£40 at a London airport on Wednesday, yes it's 1080 50i sp but what the heck, this is fantastic.

Just testing how long HQ works for... records 14 mins before displaying media error, although file is fine.

Paul
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #107
New Boot

Charging for the firmware upgrade is just wrong.
Michael Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #108
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
I went from 1.02 to 1.10, and then put on 1.11 with no problems. When you put on 1.10 continue straight away to 1.11. If you check your firmware after 1.10 it will still show 1.02.
While it's possible to install 1.10 and move right to 1.11, the instructions do say to reset the camera after installing 1.10 and then install 1.11. no clue as to whether there really is a difference between the 2 methods...
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #109
Regular Crew

i did it with a reset between the 2 and everything works fine now
Yes even in ecuador we use the fabules xdcam EX1

greetings jurgen
Jurgen Taghon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #110
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jensen View Post
Charging for the firmware upgrade is just wrong.
Especially when East coast US does not charge, but West coast does?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #111
Regular Crew

Just received my new EX1 from B&H yesterday. I'm happy to report it shipped with the new firmware.
Tom Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #112
New Boot

well... Reading this thread had me kind of nervous about being charged for the upgrade, so I contacted Prime Support. I have to say, I couldn't be happier about the service.

I contacted them on the Friday afternoon. They dropped the box off for me on the Monday morning and picked up the camera later that afternoon. Seven days later, first thing Monday morning and the camera was back to me. They fixed the battery drain issue. Upgraded the firmware and did a "complete function check" which was "all to spec".

Camera is back now and working fine.

Im in Manchester in the UK and the camera was sent to Sony in South Wales for those who are interested.
Dean Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #113
Trustee

Dean, do you have contact details for sony in south wales ?
That's about 1 hour's drive from where i live, i'd like to try and "book my camera in" and just take it there and wait, even if it means waiting outsie in my van for a few hours, i'd rather do that then let the camera get shipped around with a courier.

And was the upgrade free of charge ?

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Kellett; September 9th, 2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: .
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #114
Regular Crew

Hello guys,

Yesterday i had a presentation from Sony Latin America, and they told me that the firmware upgrade for the ex cameras will be free in this continent.
Jurgen Taghon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #115
New Boot

Hey Paul. The upgrade/shipping/(ups) was all completely free. I guess it all comes as part of the two year prime support I got with the camera.

Im afraid I don't know where abouts Sony is based in south wales. But I'm sure if you called Prime Support they could tell you if what you want to do is doable or not.

The guy I spoke to seemed eager to help in any way he could. He even rang me this afternoon to double check I was happy with the camera/service and not to hesitate to call him back if I had any other issues.
Dean Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #116
Trustee

I've found sony in south wales, according to the website it's the only factory outside of Japan which assembles sony HD camera's.
The factory is only 1 hours drive from my house so i'm going to ring them and see if i can book my camera in for a firmware upgrade, i'd rather sit outside in my van for a whole day than post my camera off for a trip round the country with a courier and then get it back a week later.
Paul.
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #117
Major Player

Sony South Wales is a first class facility. I took a Z1 in and the service was second to none. Years ago I filmed Mr Morita the founder of Sony opening the factory with the Queen.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #118
Major Player

i tried calling the sony support and as expected they said that i definitely would have to pay them $100 to get the upgrade even though i bought my camera when the 1.11 firmware was available. when i mentioned that there was information online saying it would be possible to do this upgrade by oneself using any computer he said it would void the warranty. this is all a bit of a pain. i guess ill take it up with my vendor since i specifically asked them if it would come with the latest firmware when i ordered it. of course i ordered my camera literally the same week that reports of 1.11 firmware started showing up so it is likely my vendor didnt even know about the new firmware.

what do you think i should do? i am definitely into the idea that i could record to other kinds of flash media...
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #119
Trustee

This seems crazy...
What's to say the software was not upgraded by another authorized Sony service.

Looking at my packing lists when I've had any work done, it's not very descriptive (not itemized) and lists all work done as upgrade.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #120
New Boot

That is crazy...

How can you loose your warranty if you download a firmware from an official public sony site? There was no information of loosing your warranty.

No way...
Hanno Klein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds