new ex1 firmware out - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 30th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #91
Regular Crew

for those that have upgraded themselves, when you installed the 1.10 update first, did you notice whether the install program indicated that 1.10 was the new version, or did it show your previous version number? the 1.11 install does come back from the camera as 1.11, but am curious about the interrim update...
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #92
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Ethington View Post
for those that have upgraded themselves, when you installed the 1.10 update first, did you notice whether the install program indicated that 1.10 was the new version, or did it show your previous version number? the 1.11 install does come back from the camera as 1.11, but am curious about the interrim update...
BRENT

When I checked after doing the 1.10 upgrade the cam showed the previous version number.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #93
Regular Crew

Thanks Brian! it showed that way as well for me - since the instructions made no note of this (probably should have), I wanted to double-check.
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 03:08 PM   #94
Trustee

I think Sony need to address this issue urgently. It is becoming a big deal. A piece of cake USB update being charged for in some places. You have to get it picked up and dropped off and also flown somewhere. Waste of money, waste of fuel, bad carbon footprint wise!

Getting in done on Prime Support is fine but it means being with livelihood for a few days. But again waste of energy and every little bit helps.

Why do Sony not let people update the EX1 themselves? It seems crazy to me when the procedure has been proven to be really easy. If a small percentage get it wrong then get them fixed at a charge or on prime support. It seems a lot of resources are being wasted on something my mother could almost do.
Old August 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM   #95
Major Player

No phil if mother could read english she could do it. It was that simple.

Like you said, let the EX1 owners do it, and if they get it wrong, then send off to Prime support.

But it really was that easy to do. I have don far more complex firmware updates in the past which have seemed mind boggling when compare to this.

In the words of our American friends, Sony have "dropped the ball" on this one.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 03:36 PM   #96
Trustee

if they start getting shirty with people saying they have invalidated their warranties there will be open revolt!
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:41 PM   #97
Major Player

It does seem as though Sony (having bribed us with a free 8 gig card) feels that it owes us nothing, even though we have put up with their lax production expertise. Paint rubbing off, back focus faults and all the rest should mean they are extra helpful. Having said that no manufacturer likes to acknowledge that when kit has to go back to them operators may have no income.

Reading the paper this morning has lead me to think that Sony is like Gordon Brown - in denial on obvious issues. Having said that of course we are owners of the best low end HD camera around.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM   #98
Major Player

Maybe we should look at this as Sony's way to get their complete installed base "up to par".

When you send in the camera they will fix flaking body shells, battery draining circuit boards, adjust the backfocus, give it a "once over" AND they will do the FW upgrade.

A costly move indeed but one that would ensure that everyone gets up to spec in one "swift" move...

George/

P.S. All of this should be covered by warranty, IMHO, and if you already had all the work done previously I'd say Sony owes you an easy way to upgrade to 1.11. How about a booth at IBC?
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:07 AM   #99
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
Maybe we should look at this as Sony's way to get their complete installed base "up to par".

When you send in the camera they will fix flaking body shells, battery draining circuit boards, adjust the backfocus, give it a "once over" AND they will do the FW upgrade.

A costly move indeed but one that would ensure that everyone gets up to spec in one "swift" move...
Some people here on the list reported after they get their camera back from sony :
- no backfocus correction but FW upgrade
- backfocus OK but FW not the latest

In fact, Sony only check for what you tell - they will not repair the battery drain if you don't tell them to do so - and even, some said they still have the backfocus problem after "repair".

I've asked for all this (backfocus, FW, battery drain) and my camera will go back to sony on the 8th (after a shoot on the 7th). Then, I'll be able to give my experience :)
Old September 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM   #100
Regular Crew

I'll try talking to the sony guys at IBC. If we all do this at different times during the convension, they have to listen.
Old September 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM   #101
Major Player

Might it be possible to organise some kind of group response?

I was always very impressed with how JVC seemed keen to listen to users when releasing their recent 100/200/250 series cameras so perhaps we can sting Sony into action?

Might it be possible to get a signed e-petition going or something? Never done this myself but get sent them from charities all the time. Anyone have any experience setting one up? Surely with all the users on here and elsewhere we could encourage Sony to see the virtue of keeping users happy and possibly keeping them positively disposed towards Sony for longer?

Jus.

Last edited by Justin Benn; September 1st, 2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: felt like it
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #102
Trustee

I did a demo of the backfocus fix procedure and posted it on vimeo

Paul Kellett Channel on Vimeo

Has anyone done a demo of how to do the firmware upgrade ?

Paul.
Old September 4th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #103
Major Player

Just to drag this back to a technical arena, should one upgrade to 1.10 then 1.11 from the package which was on the Sony site - that is to say if you decided to do this - and has anyone upped from 1.02 without problems?

Paul
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #104
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post

George/

P.S. All of this should be covered by warranty, IMHO, and if you already had all the work done previously I'd say Sony owes you an easy way to upgrade to 1.11. How about a booth at IBC?
My cam has been at with Sony service now for over two weeks to fix flaking body shells, battery draining issue , and poping sound 720 60p audio I also ask them to upgrade to 1.11.
Just got an email today informing me that it would be a $100.00 charge for the upgrade.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #105
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newman View Post
Just to drag this back to a technical arena, should one upgrade to 1.10 then 1.11 from the package which was on the Sony site - that is to say if you decided to do this - and has anyone upped from 1.02 without problems?

Paul
I went from 1.02 to 1.10, and then put on 1.11 with no problems. When you put on 1.10 continue straight away to 1.11. If you check your firmware after 1.10 it will still show 1.02.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds