Importing files from SxS card onto PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 17th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Importing files from SxS card onto PC

I edit all of my own stuff in FCP but I have some clients who are PC based. I am unsure of the best method for importing my footage onto their machines. Do I just copy/paste the BPAV folder onto their Drive? I did this for one client but the MP4's had no audio embedded. Or do I need to get them to install the PC version of the XDCAM transfer software? If I have already copied the BPAV onto their drive do I need to convert these files or are the recorded MP4's ok?
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Shaun

If you've copied the BPAV from the camera then there will be one folder per clip - these folders are in the CLPR folder. But if the clip is more than 4GB there will be one folder for each 4GB chunk called "...0!", "...02" etc. VLC will play the MP4 files but as you've pointed out there is no audio - I don't know if there's a fix for that yet. It starts getting a bit messier if you have multiple cards.

I don't know about other NLE software but Vegas won't edit the MP4s directly, so yes, you'll have to use Clip Broswer to export them to MXF. This also joins all of the multiple chunks together. If you're using multiple cards I'd suggest you use Clip Browser to do the actual copying aswell as the export to MXF.

The latest version of Clip Browser can also export to other formats including conversion to standard definition - but it takes an horrendous amount of time to do this.

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R Walker View Post
do I need to get them to install the PC version of the XDCAM transfer software?
XDCAM Transfer is Mac only. They should use the Clip Browser to convert the clips if their NLE doesn't have native support. They only need the SxS drivers if they need to access the SxS card media.

Most NLE software has some instruction on how to use the XDCAM EX media, check their website for support articles etc.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I will make sure that my clients install clip browser then everything should be AOK
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds