DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 viwefinder for left eye? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/128200-ex3-viwefinder-left-eye.html)

Les Nagy August 18th, 2008 06:57 AM

EX3 viewfinder for left eye?

Can anyone confirm that the viewfinder on the EX3 can be adjusted so that it can be used with the left eye comfortably?

Andy Wilkinson August 18th, 2008 08:26 AM

The rubber "eyecup" just pulls/peels off very easily/is reattached easily - I guess you could easily attach it on the other way round (i.e. 180 degree re-orientated) - can't do it as a test right now as I have paint all over me (decorating the kitchen - don't mind hammering on this old laptop's keyboard though!) Don't want paint on my EX3 thought!

I'm actually very strongly left eye dominant so it's taken me a bit of time to get used to using my right eye on the scope as I think that is the way to go for best ergonomics (with shoulder shooting....obviously....on a tripod I guess it could be either way that suits you).

Wonderful images coming from this cam as seen by either or both eyes!

Les Nagy August 18th, 2008 09:19 AM

I need to use my left eye. It's not really a choice. So the question is can I get the eyepiece over far enough to get my huge head in there comfortably to use the EX3 this way? And if not by default, can the eyepiece mount be modified to make it possible to move the eyepiece further?

Giroud Francois August 18th, 2008 09:53 AM

you can build a small periscope, either with mirrors or a prism, to get the picture exactly where you want.

Andy Wilkinson August 18th, 2008 10:00 AM

EX£ Scope - Left or right eye use

OK, have cleaned paint off hands and checked EX3! (curiosity got the better of me, much more fun than painting anyway!).

I can confirm that the eyepiece is easily swapped around - takes 3 seconds to do. The viewfinder/scope is on a moveable cam that can extend out (further out to the left) by up to about 1 inch (2.6cm) and as you also, no doubt, know it can be swivelled on it's cam mounting to more or less any comfortable position from vertically up to quite a way down/below the line of sight of the camera.

Is that enough for you, I don't know?.... but my guess is yes (I'm quite big headed too, so I'm sometimes told!!!!!), it would be possible to use the EX3 left eyed for most shots. I still have my doubts about in the semi-shoulder position though and, for sure, for those that can, right eyed viewing is going to be easier. Of course, where it's not too bright the scope quickly and easily just hinges up out of the way for any eyes to look at the viewfinder.

Whilst we're on this EX3 scope in general, just to also confirm that the scope's easy to use with glasses too (has a diopter adjustment also, should you wish to take them off - I just leave mine on as the're one less thing for me to loose).

Les Nagy August 18th, 2008 11:44 PM

Thanks for the help. Looks like I will have problems with the EX3 as is.

Ted OMalley August 20th, 2008 12:49 PM

I just pulled my EX3 out of it's case, extended the viewfinder to the left, and rather than remove/replace the eyepiece cup I simply folded the long edge forware. I held it up and the eyepiece fit my left eye perfectly - rather better than the camera fits my right eye in the normal configuration!

Les, you'll have no problems using this with your left eye -- except perhaps for the bracket now blocking your right eye's vision which could lead to tripping and falling - but that would be true of most cameras.

Les Nagy August 20th, 2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted OMalley (Post 922635)
Les, you'll have no problems using this with your left eye

Yay! I was going to get the EX3 over the EX1 either way so it's nice to know I won't be completely out of luck. Thank you.

Andy Wilkinson August 20th, 2008 03:13 PM

Les, Ted is right. I've had more time to play with EX3 tonight (kitchen decorating is now finally finished after 2 weeks hard graft - just in time for my wife to return from Toronto on Friday!) It's actually easier than I expected to use it left eyed on the shoulder - albeit with the caveat Ted mentioned about tripping over stuff. If you need to use it left eyed then YES it's certainly OK and still more easy to manage than an EX1 off the tripod.

Greg Chisholm August 21st, 2008 05:56 AM

in the same boat...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Nagy (Post 921612)
I need to use my left eye. It's not really a choice. So the question is can I get the eyepiece over far enough to get my huge head in there comfortably to use the EX3 this way? And if not by default, can the eyepiece mount be modified to make it possible to move the eyepiece further?

I am upgrading to the the ex3 for this and a few other reasons... I am glad that some ex3 users have responded with this info. I am looking forward to the ex3 viewfinder and improved ergonomics!

Greg

David C. Williams August 21st, 2008 08:05 AM

I've actually been using mine almost exclusively with the eye piece removed and the LCD pushed fully forward. I prefer to operate with both eyes open for better spatial awareness, and this way makes it really easy. I haven't done much outside in bright sunlight yet though, may need a larger hood.

Greg Chisholm August 21st, 2008 10:49 PM

I tried it today at a sony reseller....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Nagy (Post 921566)
Can anyone confirm that the viewfinder on the EX3 can be adjusted so that it can be used with the left eye comfortably?

Les,

Without the shadow of a doubt the answer is not only is it doable, but it works so well I am selling my ex1 and buying a 3 tomorrow. You should have 100% confidence with your decision!

Greg

Les Nagy August 22nd, 2008 04:18 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I am looking forward to my leap into HD production.