Sound Problems with MXF Transfer?? (EX3) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 21st, 2008, 12:36 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Alright, let me know if you figure anything out. This is a long term unacceptable problem with this camera. Of course I will also try to find more solutions.
Roger Akers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Paul that is very strange because I specifically sent the mp4. ???

Anyway, I have zipped up the entire contents of the folder that is created by the EX 3 (.mp4, subtitle file, ppn, xml doc, bim file)

Just uncompress and view in the clip browser. I assume your familiar with uncompressing zip files but if not you'll need a program like 7-Zip.

7-Zip
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM   #18
Regular Crew

If anyone else would like to take a look at my files I've uploaded them to my server at home.

Here is the original zipped mp4.

http://videos.webpronews.com/video/2...ES_0062_01.zip

And the one that I've re-wrapped.

http://videos.webpronews.com/video/2...ES_0062_01.mxf

You'll notice the one that has been wrapped have the dirty audio close to the first frame and more noticeably at the end of the clip. It's left channel audio only, so it helps to span that to the second channel. Easier to hear with headphones.

I appreciate anyones help in this matter as it is important to me.
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Akers View Post
I'm on a shoot in San Jose right now and have got an annoying problem. When I import the SXS footage to mxf file, then import the clip into vegas, it crackles throughout the whole timeline. The only fix I've found is to import the clip into sound forge and mess with the click and crackle removal tool.

I'm shooting footage and uploading final products intermittenly all week. Any help troubleshooting this problem would be greatly appreciated. I would like to note that the crackle is not present when listening in real time, nor when I review the clip inside the camera. I sent a DVD to 'home base' with mxf files for my other editor and she confirmed the 'clicking' on her machine as well.

EDIT: Exporting for MXF to HDCAM seems to solve the audio issue but there is a watermark that is unwanted. Still need to cure the audio crackle with the vanilla mxf file.

I Have the same problem with my EX1.. I have sent clips SONY REPAIR CENTER and customer service with Sony Vegas. On my cam it ony happens in the 720 60p mode if I import the clip with Cineform the noise goes away. Sent my cam to the repair center last week for this and other repairs, Letters rubbing off Etc. I have an update for the MXF plug-in dir that I recieved from one of the guys here, it cam from Sony it worked for him but not for me. I can send you the files if you want to give it a try it. I will post the Sony Reps Direct Number That I am dealing with tomr.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
I will post the Sony Reps Direct Number That I am dealing with tomr.
No, let's not do that out of respect for the rep. There are thousands who read these forums and we don't want to have someone getting a crazy number of phone calls. Put the shoe on the other foot and ask yourself if you would want that many phone calls a day.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:14 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
I Have the same problem with my EX1.. I have sent clips SONY REPAIR CENTER and customer service with Sony Vegas. On my cam it ony happens in the 720 60p mode if I import the clip with Cineform the noise goes away. Sent my cam to the repair center last week for this and other repairs, Letters rubbing off Etc. I have an update for the MXF plug-in dir that I recieved from one of the guys here, it cam from Sony it worked for him but not for me. I can send you the files if you want to give it a try it.

I converted your clip to Cineform AVI audio fixed.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:31 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
I Have the same problem with my EX1.. I have sent clips SONY REPAIR CENTER and customer service with Sony Vegas. On my cam it ony happens in the 720 60p mode if I import the clip with Cineform the noise goes away. Sent my cam to the repair center last week for this and other repairs, Letters rubbing off Etc. I have an update for the MXF plug-in dir that I recieved from one of the guys here, it cam from Sony it worked for him but not for me. I can send you the files if you want to give it a try it. I will post the Sony Reps Direct Number That I am dealing with tomr.
Brian,

After I read this I did a series of tests because I shot all the clips in question at 720/60p. Well whaddya know every other mode I shot and wrapped came out clean in the audio department. I just tested 1080/60i, 1080/30p, 720/30p etc...and the only setting with 'dirty' audio was 720/60p. There is clearly a bug with the clip browser software. Unfortunately I just shot a weeks worth of interviews that are going to have a rice krispy crunch before I have to clean it up in Sound Forge.

For now, I invite everyone on this forum with an EX THREE to shoot a clip in 720/60p, wrap it to mxf and tell us how the sound came out. I know the camera has only been out for a little bit and I'm sure this isn't a universal problem. But it has indeed been a major inconvenience for me and would like to know how many people here can reproduce the problem.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:51 AM   #23
Major Player

I just tried 720/60P, Export MXF for NLEs, played it back in VLC and it sounded fine.
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 07:47 AM   #24
Major Player

All my clip play back fine in Clip Browser and with the MXF player I down loaded from Sony you can barley hear the noise it in the back ground. You hear the poping noise when you import the clips to Sony Vegas 8B. Roger how long have you had your cam your dealer may swap it out.

Quick fix will be to Batch run all your 60p footage for that project with Cineform.
This software will take the mp4 or mxf format.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:19 AM   #25
Major Player

Roger,

I shot some 720/60p last night. Today I exported it wrapped as MXF for NLE. played in the clip browser just fine.

Then, I opened Vegas 8.0b and imported it - it's exactly like you said - constant clicking throughout - very fast too - like a machine gun.

I doubt you have a problem with your camera. I think this is something that isn't working between the codec, the rewrap, and Vegas.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM   #26
Major Player

Contintued testing...

Those files, played in VLC, have no clicks or pops.

Using Clip Browser 1.1 delivers the same results.

I think Sony Vegas has a flaw with 720/60p wrapped as an MXF
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:54 AM   #27
Major Player

Exporting the footage as DV or AVI leaves it click-free. However, that's not a workable solution. I think it is how sony Vegas is interpreting the 60p file.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:56 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Exporting the footage as DV or AVI leaves it click-free. However, that's not a workable solution. I think it is how sony Vegas is interpreting the 60p file.
I proposed that as a short term solution for Rodgers project to use Cineform.

I purchased a new EX1 today and shot footage on an EX3 720 60 p at my Sony sales Reps Office. I will test the footage tonite to see if these cams footage display the same problem.

No word as of yet on the cam I sent out for Repair.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
I proposed that as a short term solution for Rodgers project to use Cineform.

I purchased a new EX1 today and shot footage on an EX3 720 60 p at my Sony sales Reps Office. I will test the footage tonite to see if these cams footage display the same problem.

No word as of yet on the cam I sent out for Repair.
Same result poping sound with both cams.

-I uninstalled clip-broswer 2.0
-Re-installed 1.01 and imported the clips
-Replaced the MXF files in Sony Vegas with the MXF patched files.
-No poping sound in the audio..AUDIO IS CLEAN

- The files that I originally imported with clip browser 2.0 the audio is unusable the sound goes in and out with the MXF Patch applied, if I removed the Patch audio poping sound returns.

I have tried clips from other EX1s cams and did not get the poping sound. I need to check the clips to see if they were 50p or 60p.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM   #30
Regular Crew

After testing all night it's obvious it's the way Vegas sees the MXF file at only 720/60P. Every other mode works fine so this is a Vegas problem and it needs to be patched. On the other hand, if the EX 1 doesn't produce the same problem then there could be a bug in both Vegas and the Ex3. It's a very odd scenario.

I bought Neo HD and will do the long convert until something is fixed. Meanwhile I'm going to start shooting in 1080/30p. If I figure anything out about this 'bug' I will report back to this post.

Brian, I would like to check out the mxf patch if you can send it via email rakers8@gmail.com
Roger Akers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds