Sound Problems with MXF Transfer?? (EX3) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 19th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sound Problems with MXF Transfer?? (EX3)

I'm on a shoot in San Jose right now and have got an annoying problem. When I import the SXS footage to mxf file, then import the clip into vegas, it crackles throughout the whole timeline. The only fix I've found is to import the clip into sound forge and mess with the click and crackle removal tool.

I'm shooting footage and uploading final products intermittenly all week. Any help troubleshooting this problem would be greatly appreciated. I would like to note that the crackle is not present when listening in real time, nor when I review the clip inside the camera. I sent a DVD to 'home base' with mxf files for my other editor and she confirmed the 'clicking' on her machine as well.

EDIT: Exporting for MXF to HDCAM seems to solve the audio issue but there is a watermark that is unwanted. Still need to cure the audio crackle with the vanilla mxf file.
Roger Akers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Just trying to eliminate things, have you tried rewrapping the file to mxf using another pc ?
I had a problem with clip browser once, something to do with audio, not the same problem as you have though. I used another pc to rewrapp and it was ok so i uninstalled and reinstalled clip browser on the pc which was playing up and then it worked ok.

Paul.
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Wrangler

BTW Roger, I see you cross posted this to at least one other forum here on DVINFO. Just to let you know, I deleted the other one as we don't allow cross posting.

Thanks,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Greg, sorry about that.

Alright I've tried my other laptop and still no dice on the MXF file. This is very irritating and I'm at a loss to try anything else. I thought going solid state were supposed to solve these kind of problems...
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Akers View Post
Greg, sorry about that.

Alright I've tried my other laptop and still no dice on the MXF file. This is very irritating and I'm at a loss to try anything else. I thought going solid state were supposed to solve these kind of problems...
It's ok, I can understand you wanting a fast answer in this situation, but the main objective is to have all replies to an issue appear in a single thread for future reference. That's how Chris wants the site to flow.

In any case, I have been thinking about the issue you are having. Could you by chance create a short clip, verify it has the problem when it gets to Vegas, then share the raw MP4? I ask because it would give others a chance to compare and/or import to different NLEs to help nail down the problem. Also, which version of Vegas are you using?

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Trustee

Roger, have you tried rewrapping someone elses EX1 or EX3 files ?
I'm just trying to eliminate the source of the problem.
If you rewrap someone elses EX file then and the problem persists then you know it's a pc or software problem. You tried rewrapping your files on another pc and the problem still exists so it's sounding like a camera problem somewhere along the line.
If you PM me you email address then i'll send you one of my native EX1 files, you can rewrap that and see if you still get the problem.
You can also send me one of your native files and i'll rewrap it, see how i get on and then take it from there.
I use MailBigFile.com | Send Large Files - Quick & Easy - Free Service - Web Transfer - Pro & Business Accounts for sending large files.

Paul.
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Paul & Greg thanks for the help.

Unfortunately the problem still persists and I've had to see them launch anyway. My other editor at home didn't have sound forge so they couldn't cure the clicking in one video so the example of what I'm talking about is here:

This was uploaded by my other editor (who doesn't have sound forge)

SES San Jose: Michael Gray On Inbound Links WebProNews Videos: WebProNews Video Blog

This one was uploaded by me remotely (I do have sound forge) so I cleaned it up and used a background music track to hide the flaws.
http://videos.webpronews.com/2008/08/19/ses-bob/

Notice the feedback/scratchy part of the sound in the first link. I've since tried to copy the whole SxS card to my computer and rewrap from the hard drive. Again, in the clip browser the media sound is fine, but when re-wrapped to mxf you get the dirty sound from the example above.

Greg, I'm using Sony Vegas 8.0b on a Vista Machine. My other laptop is XP, and the same thing happened on that. I don't understand!

I must re-iterate that if I wrap an any other format (wmv, raw, xdcam mxf) the sound is fine but with the big watermark. Anyway, I could send anyone a file or recieve a file to test it out. My email is rakers8@gmail.com and my AIM = 'CitizenRoger'.

After searching google for about 4 days straight I believe I'm the only person on the planet that has experienced this problem.
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Trustee

Roger.
I sent you a small native file for you to rewrap.
I sent it to the rakers8@gmail.com address.
If you want to send me a file back for me to rewrap and check then feel free.
Use mailbigfile for sending files up to 100mb for free.

Paul.
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Your file worked just fine in Vegas, Paul. I'm going to send you a short clip of the original mp4 and a wrapped mxf. I'm on a crap wireless connection so you should have them soon enough.
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:06 PM   #10
Trustee

Roger.
I have the file, loaded into vegas and i hear the noise, a buzz right at the end of that clip.
Send me an unwrapped file, let me rewrap it and play it in vegas and see what happens.

Paul.
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Paul I do believe I sent the original mp4. Which will work fine in the clip browser. Do you need more than that?

EDIT: There is also a spike at the very beginning and you can see it in the waveform. These are more noticeable if you span the left channel to both channels and crank it up.
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM   #12
Trustee

It was an MXF file, it has already been rewrapped.
Can you send me a file which hasn't been rewrapped yet so that i can rewrap it into mxf.

Paul.
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Paul, originally I had sent you 2 seperate files. mxf and the mp4. Perhaps you didn't get the email so I'm sending the mp4 again via mailbigfile.
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM   #14
Trustee

I just checked, the mp4 came as a HTML document.
Strange.

Paul.
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM   #15
Trustee

I just downloaded it again, it is a wmv file, 2 secs long, no picture.

Paul.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds