Ex3 And Nikon Lens Adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ex3 And Nikon Lens Adaptor

Hi all,
Basically i am looking to find anyone that has used nikon lenses using a simple adaptor and how they found the results,(hard to use,loss of quality etc) if anyone could shed some light on longer zoom work (wildlife,sport etc) i would be really appreciative.Thanks and keep up the good work
Mick Wilcomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:04 AM   #2
Tourist

Nikon lens

I am a purchaser of the LETUS ultimate. I am wondering what array of lenses(for the EX3/nikon) is worthy of consideration for overall use.
Bill Einig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Nikon adapter

Hi Mick,

I am interested in the same adapter. I have been using a similar adapter with my Sony HVR Z7 HDV camera with fantastic result ! Mounted on the Z7 the SLR lenses become effectively x7 stronger and if you work with superb lenses you will get mind blowing results!
I assume it will be the same with the EX3 but the crop factor will be something around x5 (I think) and quality will be even better !!!
Two people that I know can make this adapter - Les Bosher Les Bosher - Camera Engineer
and Mike Tapa MTF SERVICES HOME PAGE

Les has promised to get this adapter done very soon as he is working on this right now.
Mike Tapa hasn't answered my emails regarding this issue although I got the Z7/Nikon adapter from him and I am very happy with it.
When I hear something new I will let you know.

Cheers,
Ofer
http://www.oferlevyphotography.com
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #4
New Boot

EX3 nikon adapter

Ofer,

Thanks for the referral.
What lenses are you using?
Kyle Karges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #5
New Boot

Letus Ultimate

Hey Bill,

My wifes family is from Las Cruces!
Do you know Dale Dannhaus?
How do you like your Ultimate?
I just sold the Extreme as it couldn't give me the higher shutter speeds I need.
Old November 29th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Mike tapa makes the converter - and it works absolutely great. The EX3 with a Sigma 120-300mm lens - makes pictures that are very sharp and crispy.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #7
New Boot

Bo

Do you have any footage???
I just ordered the adapter from Mike's website.
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:05 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi,

do these guys make or even consider developing a Canon mount for EX3? Funny that both of them doing Nikon only.
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:15 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Problem with Canon EOS is that they don't have aperture rings. The FD lenses have a problem with the back-focus distance not being quite so accommodating to adapters. This is why there seems to be a Nikon bias, it's nothing personal!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose View Post
Mike tapa makes the converter - and it works absolutely great. The EX3 with a Sigma 120-300mm lens - makes pictures that are very sharp and crispy.
Do you have the footage?
I'm concern about the magnification. It said that it will have 5.5 X magnification.
Farishad Latjuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farishad Latjuba View Post
Do you have the footage?
I'm concern about the magnification. It said that it will have 5.5 X magnification.
Farishad, it's not really "magnification" so don't worry. There is no glass in the MTF adapter. Your camera simply crops the image that the 35mm lens is sending to it, because your sensor is much smaller than 35mm film. Actually it's about 5.5 times smaller. Makes better sense now right? This term "magnification" really throws people off when it comes to using adapters on video cameras. Delete that word from your mind. Insert "Cropping". Much less confusing.

Here are two frame grabs, both using the MTF adapter and a 300mm Nikon 2.8ED. The Long Billed Curlew was shot with an HD200.

The Mallards were shot with an EX3 - which I can't use very well yet to save my life. Only shot with it one weekend so far.

No worries on the MTF adapter. It's a fantastic piece of work, built/designed very well. You will be over joyed using it.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Eric,

Your pics looks great. BTW the pic of the mallard shows two Northern Shoveler.
the Netherlands
Marc Plomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Main differences I see are much more resolution in the curlew and massively more detail enhancement in the shovelers. Thats's why they look sharper, but a really harsh look.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #14
Major Player

Mike, the MTF adapter (I have) is extremely useful. The first thing you notice though is that you don't have a hand grip to hold the camera however the camera becomes extremely light once you take the Fujinon lens off the body. There is no loss of clarity at all. So far I use standard primes. I haven't gone above a 105mm which would translate into roughly a 550mm lens on a 35mm camera. Obviously you are shooting completely in manual mode. It's fine.

The adapter seems pricey to some but being a short run machined unit I am not complaining. I think it is good value considering the flexibility it gives with inexpensive lens.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Main differences I see are much more resolution in the curlew and massively more detail enhancement in the shovelers. Thats's why they look sharper, but a really harsh look.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds