DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   ShotPut Express error! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/128898-shotput-express-error.html)

Piotr Wozniacki August 28th, 2008 07:33 AM

ShotPut Express error!

2 Attachment(s)
I shot a huge project recently - 3 EX1's, 2 days; 32 SxS cards in total dumped onto my laptop (Vaio with 500 GB HDD), and 2 other external fiwi HDD's. All seems OK so far, apart from one thing: on card (folder) 10 there is a split clip (653_0316U01), that SHOULD continue on card 11; however, ClipBrowser doesn't find it there - instead, when I double-click it in the CB's left pane, the "SONY" subfolder opens with all the structure in it! Now, when you browse an SxS card outside ClipBrowser, the SONY folder is another parent folder outside the BPAV one; CB is not even supposed to look there - why ShotPut copied it, and put it inside the BPAV is above me...And, I lost part of one clip!

Has anyone had a similar occurrence? This shattered my trust in ShotPut Express considerably !!!

Christoph Gelfand August 28th, 2008 01:56 PM

Yes, I have had similar problems with Shotput. Dunno if the current updates have fixed my issue, but it basically copied a card and automatically reformatted it, told me everything was ok, only to reveal that I lost half a day of shooting. It had somehow not transferred half my footage but still erased the card! I spoke to the Shotput people but they said that this had never happened in their experience...

Alex Raskin August 28th, 2008 02:56 PM

What platform are you guys using Shotput on and what is your version number?

I also think Shotput is not perfect, but when I brought certain issues up to their support, they were pretty responsive and provided me with the updated version that had issues fixed.

I'm on PC side, and it seems like Shotput is mainly a Mac product, so PC ported version is not getting developer's full attention and trails in functionality.

However I have not had 2-card spanning clips yet, and with only one card to backup, new Shotput worked fine for me so far. I do let it format the card after it reports no problems with Verification of the transfered data.

George Strother August 28th, 2008 03:12 PM

Used ShotPut (PC) on a project Tuesday. Copied a full SxS to two drives, ShotPut reported COMPLETE in about 1.2 seconds. Maybe less. Hmm ... that seems wrong.

Checked both drives, no MP4 files. Everything else was copied. No footage.

Tried again, same result. Two sets of folders with all of the other files, no MP4s.

ShotPut worked in testing, failed on location. ??

Fortunately I was paranoid enough to have turned off reformat.

Used Sony Browser to copy files to external drive. Very, very slow, but all clips were OK.

Alex Raskin August 28th, 2008 03:49 PM

George: turn on full Verbose mode and see what it says.

Piotr Wozniacki August 29th, 2008 02:01 AM

I have emailed Imagine Products support, but haven't even got an answer yet... I'm afraid the PC version I'm using is indeed less important to them, judging it's still in the 1.04 version.

Steve Cahill August 29th, 2008 03:34 AM

Never reformat until you import the mp4's into QT's and check your results !!!! I never trust any copying until I do the final check. I always use the camera to reformat, it buys some additional time to check media after import via the XDTransfer Tool.

I always try to stop a record so the recording does not spam over to a 2nd card when ever possible.

Short picture review here:
How Do You Manage Your Data?

Piotr Wozniacki August 29th, 2008 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cahill (Post 926517)
Never reformat until you import the mp4's into QT's and check your results !!!!

Easier said than done, Steve. Just imagine: I'm operating the main CAM1 (shooting continuously), while the other 2 guys (CAM2 and CAM3) keep shooting, and handing over their cards to me once filled up. I need to dump them (and mine own, too), so that we can continue shooting that LIVE music performance - while still attending my own camera...

No time to review what was really copied! All in all, for a 32-card-long project, it's not that bad at all - I do have the triple copy of ALL the cards, apart from that single one which was obviously mishandled by ShotPut EXpress (see screen grabs above in my initial post)...

George Strother August 29th, 2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Raskin (Post 926336)
George: turn on full Verbose mode and see what it says.

Tried it today.

Same memory card, same files, same Sony USB2 reader, same USB2 drive, verbose on and off. Worked fine both times. ??

Upgraded to 1.06 (posted 8/27/08) - also worked fine both ways.

So - worked fine in testing, failed on a job, worked fine when tested again. Maybe 1.06 will work on a real job?