DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 & Battery Drain Issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/128923-ex1-battery-drain-issue.html)

Joel Brooks August 28th, 2008 01:25 PM

EX1 & Battery Drain Issue

Just thought I would pass along some info from Sony regarding the "Battery Drain" issue with the EX1.

A Sony rep said that because of the complex programs built in to the CPU, this slight battery drain is normal. There is no fix to it he said because this is normal due to the fact that the CPU is always running or in "Stand By" mode. It only drains around 5 to 10% after a couple of days he said according to what he has learned.

Thanks,
Joel

Alex Raskin August 28th, 2008 01:30 PM

My EX1 purchased in mod-August does not drain batteries left in camera.

Maybe very slightly, but not noticeable, and certainly not to the point of no-juice-left-overnight, as been reported by other users.

George Kroonder August 28th, 2008 01:38 PM

Early cameras had an issue where the battery would drain overnight when left in. If you experience this you should contact Sony support. They will replace a circuitboard to fix this.

If your battery only drains a little over a longer period you're not experiencing this issue.

George/

Nick Wilson August 28th, 2008 01:53 PM

I spoke to Sony Silver Support this morning re the software upgrade and mentioned the battery drain issue. I gave the serial number and they said it was within the range, so they would change the board.

Nick

Ted OMalley September 27th, 2008 09:25 PM

What about the EX3 - I keep returning to my camera to find that it has compltely drained all power from the Dionic 90 battery - almost six hours worth! It's doing this in a single day! The only possible reason I can find for this behavior is that I seem to be leaving the camera in either media or camera mode and walking away from it for the day, but leaving the camera "on" shouldn't cause this, should it?

Okay, I'm an idiot. I've done it three times now!

Rick Yeh September 28th, 2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Wilson (Post 926273)
I spoke to Sony Silver Support this morning re the software upgrade and mentioned the battery drain issue. I gave the serial number and they said it was within the range, so they would change the board.

Nick

Even you change to the new board EX1 battery still get drained from 4 days to three weeks.

Robert Young September 29th, 2008 12:07 PM

That is my experience as well. My EX originally would drain around 50% overnight. After upgrading the circuit board the drain is much slower, but will still drain down to 0 over a couple of weeks. My other Sonys (PD 170, Z1, V1) always had minimal drain even after months on the shelf with battery in place.

John Peterson September 29th, 2008 04:12 PM

My EX1 exhibits a 25% drain in roughly 15 hours. I'll be taking it in.

John

Scott Hayes September 29th, 2008 04:30 PM

Why even leave the battery on it?