DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   HD to DV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/128930-hd-dv.html)

Jack Davis August 28th, 2008 03:10 PM

HD to DV

I'm sorry to all to ask this question again. I actually have 2 questions.

The rumor several months ago was Sony was going to introduce software to solve this problem of converting HD to DV. The only thing I have seen has been to purchase special codec. Is there a hardware solution to this problem?

I am using alot of my EX1 footage for web use. In FCP is it better to start with HD or SD if the final output will be flash for the web.

thanks

Roger Akers August 28th, 2008 03:34 PM

Some of the major players around here could disagree with me, but I always edit in HD. It gives me more flexibility to do digital zooms and color correction. I've also found that the final flash render will be sharper in the end.

Paul Kellett August 28th, 2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Davis (Post 926313)

The rumor several months ago was Sony was going to introduce software to solve this problem of converting HD to DV. The only thing I have seen has been to purchase special codec. Is there a hardware solution to this problem?

I am using alot of my EX1 footage for web use. In FCP is it better to start with HD or SD if the final output will be flash for the web.

thanks

Clip Browser V2 concerts to DV

Paul.

Craig Hollenback August 28th, 2008 09:58 PM

shoot / edit in HD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Davis (Post 926313)

thanks

We shoot 30p HD with the EX1 for use on the web. Edit in FCP in HD, compress with squeeze into .flv, 480 x 360. Much better picture quality originating in HD vs: DV
see HD example: http://www.KeysTV.com/dynamic
best, Craig

Alister Chapman August 29th, 2008 12:28 PM

Another vote for editing HD and then encoding straight to the web from me. Works like a charm and adds so much flexibility.

Matt Davis August 29th, 2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Hollenback (Post 926445)
compress with squeeze into .flv, 480 x 360

Mate, try out 512x288 for 16:9 over 480x360 for 4:3.

Let's do it by the numbers:

- 512x288 = 147,456 pixels per frame

- 480x360 = 172,800 pixels per frame

That means you get a bigger apparent image in true HD 16:9 format with less pixels changing per frame than 480x360.

And I got better results per kilobit per second with FlixPro, and I got the same quality in far less time with Episode.

Episode has an option to do a Low Pass filter for Large Downscales, which sorts out the aliasing and some other things.

I've kept up to date with Squeeze, and whilst the best for Sorenson 3 (surprise surprise), I've been dissapointed with its Flash, H.264 and WMV.

John Godwin August 30th, 2008 09:58 AM

I'm new to working with FCP and macs and I've been following this thread with great interest. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how, using Flip4mac, which I already have, I can take a 16X9 xdcam timeline and do a 4X3 center cut .wmv, using quicktime conversion? I thought there was an option in there somewhere to do the center cut, but I can't seem to find it ....

Thanks in advance ...

John

Matt Davis August 30th, 2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Godwin (Post 926997)
I thought there was an option in there somewhere to do the center cut, but I can't seem to find it ....

I can't find it in Plain Old Telestream (the WMV export function within QuickTime Player) either. It's a function of Squeeze, Compressor and Episode, however.

FWIW, I checked with my QuickTime Player Flash Export option, which DOES include Crop.

I think it's a limitation of the Telestream plugin rather than Mac or QuickTime per se. I guess they want you to upgrade to Episode if you're doing this kind of thing for a living.

John Godwin August 30th, 2008 10:41 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to be able to use the tools I already have, because the learning curve is steep enough, and I do hope to continue doing this for a living. (Like the last 30 odd years ... just with different tools.)

Best,
John

Ola Christoffersson August 30th, 2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 926384)
Clip Browser V2 concerts to DV

Paul.

And it seems to do it well to! I have not made any extensive tests but the exports I have made have been quick and have looked good.

What impressed me most was that CB2 actually managed to transcode 720p50 to PAL interlaced, keeping the 50 frames per second, i e keeping the smoothness going from 50P to 50i.

Matt Davis August 30th, 2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Godwin (Post 927009)
(Like the last 30 odd years ... just with different tools.)

Erm, methinks I may have phrased my comment in such a way that missed my point and caused offence - my bad.

But Telestream's products are very carefully striated. As they own Episode, it would make sense for them to hide the 'power user' stuff (like cutting a 4:3 hole in 16:9 HD material, whilst doing a low pass filter in downscaling to SD) in their products aimed at us.

TeleStream's plug-in starts out at playing WMV invisibly within QT (which it does very well). When you upgrade to the full-on HD version, it seems to expect you to be using it within Compressor or Episode. The controls are simply NOT THERE in QuickTime Player's 'Options' menu.

You may wish to open up Compressor again. It's not a nice application to get to know, and I can't speak too highly of the assistance I got from the Ripple Training product. It's the same plug-in as in QT Player, but it has Compressor's extra tools around it - which DOES do cropping.

John Godwin August 30th, 2008 11:42 AM

Actually, no offense taken at all. And that additional info may help me - I'll try to get something cooking with compressor.

Thanks,
John