EX1 audio settings with external mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 30th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Major Player

EX1 audio settings with external mic

Hi all,

I just bought a new Rode NTG-2 shotgun and Sony headphones. I plugged everything and the way I heard things distorted pretty easily.

Could someone give me a short and sweet guide to setting the audio for one shotgun mic and maybe can i use the internal mic to take ambient?

Do I need to adjust stuff from the menu? Im gonna be shooting with a band on tour (mostly backstage action) and there will be loud and quiet parts so all I want is to get everything recorded without distortion and I can pretty much work from that. I know there's no limiter which makes things a bit more difficult.

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Major Player

The external trims are downstream from the mic preamp, so leave them at 5, which is apparently effective 0. Use the audio trim in the menus for levels. Try to keep maximum levels to four segments below red on the meters, that's where the limiter kicks in. That's roughly -23db with -37db condenser.
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks David for your advice! You said there's a limiter? have I totally misunderstood? I thought there's no limiter in EX1?

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 03:14 AM   #4
Major Player

The is a limiter, and it's pretty hard and you can't turn it off sadly.
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 06:02 AM   #5
Trustee

Another thing to watch for, the external mic connection seem to be out of phase with the internal mics. If when you mix the two together the bottom end vanishes just invert one channel.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds