TRIPOD adaptor PLATE ... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:08 AM   #16
Trustee

yeah that isn't right. I would email them!
yevgeny.subbotin@mitcorp.co.uk tell him i sent you and there is a problem with shipping costs.

I would buy the Sony plate if you dont already have one from the US if you live there as it would be cheaper am sure... TLS is a UK company so i doubt you will get in cheaper in the US
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:19 AM   #17
Major Player

I tried to register to check pricing, but I keep getting an error on the verification code. It's only four letters in a blue box - should be easy - but it never works. Tried it a dozen times, even started over.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I tried to register to check pricing, but I keep getting an error on the verification code. It's only four letters in a blue box - should be easy - but it never works. Tried it a dozen times, even started over.
i would try emailing and explaining that to them!

It really is much better than the protech one.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM   #19
Major Player

Phil,

I've never used one of these plates...

Do I need a piece for the camera as well as a piece for the tripod? For example, if I use a bogen head or a libec head, is there a component necessary? Do other more pro tripod heads already work with this adapter plate? Not planning to change any time soon - my libec sticks and head were about $1K - that's about all I'm willing to drop right now.

Thanks,
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM   #20
Major Player

Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
i would try emailing and explaining that to them!

It really is much better than the protech one.
Nice find! Think I'll wait until I'm back in the UK in Oct to buy one though it looks much more sturdy. Cool.

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Phil,

I've never used one of these plates...

Do I need a piece for the camera as well as a piece for the tripod? For example, if I use a bogen head or a libec head, is there a component necessary? Do other more pro tripod heads already work with this adapter plate? Not planning to change any time soon - my libec sticks and head were about $1K - that's about all I'm willing to drop right now.

Thanks,
The piece IS for the camera & works in conjunction with a Sony VCT-14 adapter plate, so you would need that as well.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
The piece IS for the camera & works in conjunction with a Sony VCT-14 adapter plate, so you would need that as well.
LOL! Thanks, Bill! Where where you four months ago!?

I found what I needed anyway.
Old December 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #23
Major Player

DOH!! Sorry about that. I didn't notice the previous post date. :D
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #24
Trustee

Doesn't VFGagets make a similar solution now?

EX3 Heavy Duty Base Plate System | VFGadgets.com
Old December 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #25
Major Player

They make a base plate, as does DM-Accessories (for less money). Neither, though, manufacture the VCT-U14 or other tripod adapter plate.
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #26
Wrangler

While the VCT system is an industry standard and has been for many years, it is actually a pretty flawed physical design that allows for a certain amount of vibration and play. For most tripod work it's not much of an issue but for vibration-critical applications such as Steadicam, remote head or vehicle mount, it is possible that issues may become noticeable in the image, especially with long lenses. I've seen a few 3rd party versions of the baseplate that attempt to remove the play from the system but in doing so the quick release application is usually compromised. It's a shame that this design has not been updated, but it was initially oriented towards news photography so the issues were not relevant in that application.

For my money the Sachtler touch-and-go design is more solid, however I haven't seen any prosumer-priced adaptor bases for mounting on heads that aren't already compatible with that plate.
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #27
Major Player

Charles,

Those flaws are amplified when not using the rear pin. For most tripod/dolly work, it is still just fine and the quick-release benefit heavily outweighs the slight movement inherent in the design.

On a recent road trip, I used it in a vehicle mount. at first, the vibration/road noise was a huge problem. Since I began by just testing, and was able to resolve simply by wedging a small piece of aluminum in between the plate and camera. This shim lived there for a couple days during filming and it performed flawlessly. However, as you pointed out, it completely compromised the quick-release aspect of the unit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds