DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   ClipBrowser does superb HD-->SD Downconvert (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/129076-clipbrowser-does-superb-hd-sd-downconvert.html)

Dominik Seibold December 18th, 2008 05:19 AM

sorry, I edited my post after you posted. Read the end of my last post.

Andy Nickless December 18th, 2008 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominik Seibold (Post 980194)
If your footage isn't 1080i you can do it as simply as I show it in this video:
YouTube - high-quality HD to SD-DVD conversion with FCP
(you have to skip the first seconds because of a youtube-flash-player bug)

Sorry, I didn't notice this link when I made my last post.
I have watched the video and will try your method but I'm sure I've tried this before.

Dominik Seibold December 18th, 2008 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Nickless (Post 980199)
I'm sure I've tried this before.

If you get different/unsatisfying results, please post them here. Perhaps then I can tell you what's going wrong.

Dominik Seibold December 18th, 2008 05:35 AM

Btw, you can export stills from mpeg2-files very easily with mpeg-streamclip (don't forget to select "unscaled" in streamclips frame-export-dialog).

Andy Nickless December 18th, 2008 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominik Seibold (Post 980200)
If you get different/unsatisfying results, please post them here. Perhaps then I can tell you what's going wrong.

Unfortunately, my version of Compressor (3.0.5) does not allow me to change settings in the DVD MPEG2 presets.

I exported with Custom Compressor setting (to MPEG2) selecting "Best" for rescaling (as I always do).

I must admit, under close examination, the Compressor results are slightly better.
So I don't know how I came to the conclusion that the IMX was better!
I will preserve this custom compressor setting carefully

I will do more tests soon but for now, I really must get back to the project.

Once again, Dominik, thank you for your help.

David Heath December 18th, 2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Nickless (Post 980196)
No all my footage is progressive .......

After hearing Dominiks comments about the bug in Compressor not handling 1080i - 576i material well (which I wasn't previously aware of), and after my comments in the other thread, I'd be prepared to make a bet that your problems are down to your material being treated as 1080psf/25, not 1080p/25.

Data wise, the two are identical - the line order is just rearranged. It's quite conceivable that some devices won't distinguish between the two. But although psf material is the same content as p, the reordering means that it must be flagged the same as i - that's the whole reason for it.

Vincent Oliver December 18th, 2008 08:33 AM

Andy,

Glad to hear you now have the results that you were after.

I took delivery of an EX3 yesterday and after having spent several hours trying to render a short test project, I too am not seeing a £6000 advantage in this camera. It works superb in HQ, but like you Andy, I still have to supply my output in bog standard SD format.

I use Premierre Pro CS3 for windows, if anyone has a similar sollution to Andy's, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Many thanks

Andy Nickless December 18th, 2008 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Heath (Post 980250)
I'd be prepared to make a bet that your problems are down to your material being treated as 1080psf/25, not 1080p/25.

David, after I read your post on the Z7 page, I checked the item properties in FCP and sure enough it was 1080p - with Field Dominance "None".

BUT.
If I try to export a QT file as almost anything other than XDCAM EX, it goes out as interlaced - even if I specifically select progressive in the export options.

Any comments welcome!