Tripod Fixing on EX3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #16
Regular Crew

EX-3 camera reinforcing plate

There is a product that exists here in Toronto that is well engineered and it's available right now. I used it for a shoot and it solved a lot of issues that have been discussed.
Yes, the camera mount on the small EX cameras is held in place by 4 small screws and you wouldn't believe the thin internal plate that they are attached to. Perhaps it's part of the design to have the 1/4 inch mount shear off to prevent further damage when a camera is knocked down. A rental house (Joe Sutherland Rentals Inc. - Canada's Premier Supplier of High Tech Video Equipment!) here had 2 EX-1 cameras come back damaged with those 4 screws ripped off. Joe Sutherland Rentals has the largest XDCAM rental inventory with over 70 XDCAM 330s,355s,530s, EX-3s and even the new 700. Joe asked the people at PCI (www.pci-canada.com) to make a camera reinforcing mount for the dozen EX-3 cameras that he has. He was concerned that the larger 2/3" lenses might create a potential problem with the mounts. He sketched out what he needed and the engineer at PCI built a strong, solid plate that is amazing. The EX-3 now can click on or off a tripod just like a regular camera with this mount. It's solid as a rock. It was built by the same people who make the HD heavy duty replacement handles with mounting holes for monitors, receivers, etc.( available at VFGadgets.com | Innovative Products for the Video & Film Industry ) They also make a mini HDV Handle Bracket for adding extra lights or transmitters to a mini camera.

I have been shooting since 1983 with full size cameras. The small cameras are awkward to hold as the design puts too much pressure on your wrist. The good news is that with this bracket, the EX-3 feels like a full size camera. Everything fits nicely for me. I have tried 3 brackets from different vendors but they did not work for me. I even bought an old film camera body mount to solve the comfort issue. This new bracket is the best thing that I have used and I recommend it highly. I took photos of the mount at Joe's shop to show the actual mount. There are a few extra units and you may be able to get them from PCI.

Peter Mykusz
HD Cameraman, Toronto
Peter Mykusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #17
Major Player

Where are the pix, Peter?
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #18
Major Player

Listed?

Peter,

Are these PCI plates listed on their site? Curious to see the implementation. And cost!

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Photos of EX-3 Plate

I sent the photos to the gallery but they must be in line for approval, I guess. I'll try to resend them now.
The plate is new and PCI may not have set a price. I'll call them in the morning.
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #20
Regular Crew

EX-3 Plate Photos

There are 4 photos of the camera plate on my personal network gallery. I have not been able to upload to the Image Gallery because I get a page saying that I don't have permission to access that page. Perhaps the moderator can insert my photos.

Here is a link to one of the photos.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/p...nd-rentals.jpg

I found out that the mount that I used was an early prototype as the black anodized paint was not applied to the one that I used. The people at PCI are still deciding on the final camera shoulder mount. The mount solves the issues of the questionable tripod mounting screw and adds a few new features to it. The photos show a practical, solid well engineered product. The most important feature is not that obvious. It transforms the small-awkward-to-hold camera into a solid camera that has the feel of a compact Betacam. It feels great on the shoulder because the battery adds weight to the back to balance the camera. The viewfinder is in the right spot for me. I'll send a few photos of the completed mount as soon as Joe Sutherland gets them.

I found out from PCI that they expect the items to be ready in "a couple of weeks."
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:16 PM   #21
Major Player

I've asked them about adding a hinged section to support an AB or IDX battery - collapsable for storage, extendable to lower center of gravity and balance camera better. They are looking into it...

Here's an example...
Attached Thumbnails
Tripod Fixing on EX3-01s.png   Tripod Fixing on EX3-03s.png  

Tripod Fixing on EX3-06s.png   Tripod Fixing on EX3-10s.png  

Last edited by Ted OMalley; September 23rd, 2008 at 07:54 AM.
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:42 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I would suggest that having the shoulder mount so close to the camera body will lead to neck strain as you will have to tilt your head back to use the viewfinder. I think the shoulder mount needs to be further away from the camera body.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM   #23
Major Player

Alister,

I would have thought the same thing. However, I "built" two versions and actually found this to be much more comfortable. Because of the flexibility of the EX3's eyepeice, I can actually move it too far forward and find I need to bring it back a little. My last design, with the shoulder mount about four inches further back, was never comfortable and the eyepiece was never close enough and I had to lean into it.

Admittedly, we are all built differently, but I found this much more comfortable.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM   #24
Regular Crew

It would be great to have the ability to have rails. What if you want to a follow focus or matte box. And some kind of shoulder pad, looks great but hand holding that hard aluminum plate to your shoulder would last about 10 minutes, before it would dig into the bone...

And does anyone know where to find the plate parts (like the blue front plate and rear)?-for unrelated project.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:30 PM   #25
Regular Crew

EX-3 mount with rails

There is a version with rails. Here is the photo of the prototype
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/p...ade-camera.jpg
Alister - The mount was originally made to give the camera more stability so that the interchangeable lenses would not damage the 1/4 inch mounting screw. Joe Sutherland Rentals had 2 EX-1s come back damaged with the mount ripped out. Joe spent time on a sketch and talked with the people at PCI to make a heavy duty mount for the EX-3s. The result is a mount that is solid and snaps on to a regular camera plate. A "V" mount is on the back to take batteries or receivers. A standard tripod plate can be attached to it also. The shoulder mount is perfect with a camera pad velcroed on the plate. One of the cameramen who saw it thought that that it was a poor design until he put it on his shoulder. Now he wants one for his camera. The camera package feels very comfortable on the shoulder just like a standard full size camera - only lighter. There is no need for a hinge as per the drawing as you will hit someone in the head with a long back end. The mounts are in anodized black paint.
I hope that the photo shows up on this page. It works on my computer.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:56 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks, Peter.

Yes, rails are available as the images show. Also, pads are an element that are necessary and would be part of the final product - just not sourced and therefore not shown. Thanks, Jason, for your attention to detail - I should have mentioned that.
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #27
Major Player

Ted ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I've asked them about adding a hinged section to support an AB or IDX battery - collapsable for storage, extendable to lower center of gravity and balance camera better. They are looking into it...

Here's an example...
Wonderful design ~ let me know if this comes off as I think I'd like to get one as well.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I wasn't putting the design down, It was just an observation. I have another one.... Are the matte box rails far enough away from the camera body. The very short body means that for many matte boxes and accessories the rails need to be at least 45mm below the camera body. The bracket looks to be very well constructed and I too would be interested in one if the design works well.
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter,

Very cool!! Great work. That's basically problem solved. I think it great to see all the new products that are coming out, and in design, already, for this camera.

What is the lens height from base to center of the lens, with plate, does it get it close to a full size. Thinking of the compensation for a prompter being added to camera. If the rail adapter gets it close or the same, then very cool and no problem.. It just ends up being a little short and it would be great not to have to bother with the riser block that would be need on prompter plate, that is usually used to compensate to raise the height.

Doing a weekly show with two EX-3's and one is on the jib with prompter. And it would be one last thing to mess with, could just snap it on there, and go.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #30
Major Player

The EX3 mount - the BPB-EX3 - is available for purchase now. However, I'm sad to say that it won't include the hinged section that I've designed to located the battery further back. Furthermore, it seems that it is being sold without the shoulder pad - which I don't quite understand.

Oh, and you'll have to be doing pretty well in today's economoy to justify it. it has been priced at $575. But it is black!

EX3 Heavy Duty Base Plate | VFGadgets.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds