Black Balance? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 9th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Black balance should not have a notcable effect on white balance or colours. Setting the black balance sets the black levels of the R, G and B channels so that they are all at zero. Unless it is grossely off it should not change the cameras colour balance, which is a function of R, G, and B gain as opposed to black balances simple zero level set. There can be a tiny hints of coloration in near black parts of the picture with very poor black balance but there certainly should not be any effect to mid tones or other parts of the image.
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #17
Trustee

I'm not sure that my magenta hued preset is due only to poor black balance. In practice I haven't noticed that the blacks were off but the whites are clearly magenta. Of course I haven't really looked carefully at the blacks. I didn't notice any of this till I got on a vectorscope.

It seems that the preset has a matrix and color balance all its own independent of the PP settings that underlie any other changes you set in the camera. In a more expensive camera those are adjustable as well. Too bad I can't at least do a black balance. Funny though, until I looked at the vectorscope I never noticed how off it was and used preset fairly often with nary a complaint.

The camera just came back from Sony repair so I'm not totally sure it was a pre-existing condition though - might be from a new board. Maybe I should call Sony.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #18
Inner Circle

My EX3 and EX1 both have very good colour response with no hue or colour cast. I would suggest a megenta colour cast using presets is abnormal.
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B. McGee View Post
i had a back focus problem today on set with a rented EX3 as B-camera. this made wonder about my own EX1 and its own Back Focus. when looking in the maintenance menu i became aware that the "Auto FB Adjust" and "Auto BLK Balance" were greyed out. has anyone with v1.11_0531 had success adjusting one or both of these procedures?
just want to remind everyone about my inquiry?
thanks.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
just want to remind everyone about my inquiry?
thanks.
Quote:
i had a back focus problem today on set with a rented EX3 as B-camera. this made wonder about my own EX1 and its own Back Focus. when looking in the maintenance menu i became aware that the "Auto FB Adjust" and "Auto BLK Balance" were greyed out. has anyone with v1.11_0531 had success adjusting one or both of these procedures?
For the Auto FB Adjustment, make sure the focus ring is forward and the barrel switch in auto. The cam cannot do an Auto FB adjust if the lens focus is in manual mode.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #21
Major Player

thanks tom, but i've done that and still can't access/perform it.
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #22
Trustee

That's disappointing Michael. A couple things you've probably also tried, but I would put the menu display on partial, the iris switch to auto, and shutter auto switch to on.

I assume you also reset all.

From the description you gave in the other thread about the backfocus, it's pretty imperative to get the flange back calibration working.

I checked my firmware version just now, same as yours, FB and BB not grayed out.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #23
Major Player

i haven't done an all reset yet or any of the other suggestions you mentioned. i'll try it again tonight. thanks for responding.
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #24
Major Player

Auto FB Adjust settings

EUREKA!!! I found it!

so, note to all who are trying to perform a Auto FB Adjust you must:
1. place the lens focus ring forward(auto)
2. switch focus switch to auto
3. zoom must be in servo
4. iris set to auto

i think that's all.

still can't perform an Auto BLK Balance though

Last edited by Michael B. McGee; December 11th, 2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #25
Tourist

I've managed to get into the maintenance menu, but which menu-option do I need to select to perform auto black balance ?

Is it MN > Black Shading > Auto BLK Shad ? Just want to make sure i got the correct one.
Twan Neman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #26
Vortex Media

Why bother? The camera automatically does a black balance everytime you turn it on.
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #27
Tourist

I wish it did. I've got A LOT of noise in my black levels when shooting footage. I was told that resetting / calibrating the black levels would solve the problem, just want to make sure I got the correct menu option.
Twan Neman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #28
Vortex Media

I doubt that noise in your black levels has anything do to with the black balance. Black balance is for color.
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #29
Sponsor: Westside AV

Twan, like Doug said, black balance is done each time the camera is turned on.

If your shadows are noisy, it probably is the way your camera is set up. I find Profile 4 is noisy. Also make sure your gain is 0 or -3. Black stretch will also affect noise.

The EXcams do have a bit of noise, much better than most cameras in this price range. The truth is we are really spoiled these days. A lot of people feel CCD's are less noisy and maybe they are especially 2/3" CCD's.

I think the EX cams are really the first inexpensive HD cameras that have decent low light performance.

Best way to get rid of noise is to not underexpose. And not boost the gain. Also mess with your profiles.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Re: Black Balance?

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I was going through the EX1R Maintenance Menu and the Auto Black Balance option for some reason only executes in interlaced mode.

Hope that eliminates some confusion, you now know that if you shoot interlaced, and you know how to get to the service menus, you can do an auto black balance on the EX1R.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds