EX1 Firmware Updates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 4th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 Firmware Updates

Well I just recieved my EX1 last week and decided to take in to the repair depot in Los Angeles yesterday for the firmware updates and to check a few things. Well the firmware update is what they call a Feature Enhancement and now costs $100. Damn my camera is only a week old, but it has the 1.05 version of the firmware. It should be free seeing that it's within the 90 days warenty period but alas no amount of talking would change the gentleman's mind. I do need the update since I just ordered 2-32GB SxS cards.

Just thought I would mention it since apparently this just started.

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
Robert C. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Not even free with a 2x32 SxS order - whats that like $3000?

Sorry to hear that.
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Major Player

I'd return the camera to the retailer and let them explain to Sony why your new camera will not work with the 32Gig cards.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Thats incredible since you bought the camera after the update was introduced.
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Major Player

I think this is just the start.... Most people that buy units now will proabaly be getting version 1.05 it will take a while for the 1.11 to start showing up... It's going to upset a lot of folks.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I agree with Barry. If you ended up buying the EX1 and the 32GB cards from the same dealer, have the dealer call Sony out and have them deal with it. Seems like your request is reasonable (and Sony isn't)

what a joke...
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

abit mean by Sony.
Brand new camera should have all the software updates for free with in 1 year.
Anthony Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Indeed, what a load of crap Sony is dumping on their loyal userbase. You'd think they would want people to buy their new Rolls Royce memory cards without any hassle. Great product...mediocre customer service. This isn't the first company that's like that though!
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #9
Major Player

Yes this is totally WRONG.

I go to a Sony dealer and buy a brand new EX1. I also buy 2 32Gb cards. I can't use the cards and shoot, even though I have spent thousands. I take th camera back and say its faulty.

"No its not faulty, you hto have the camera updated". Please do it then I have a job to shoot this week".

"Sure. That will be $100 thank you".

"Sorry?"

"We charge you $100 to do the update".

"Eh? You kidding right? So the camera doesn't work. I will have a full refund then please as you have sold me faulty goods."

Watch them do the update for free.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #10
Major Player

Quickest solution is to do the upgrade yourself... see other thread here. It seems to be working well.
I would also make a letter to your dealer, to his boss, to Sony and say how mean they are.

Another solution is to call the prime support and say your camera suffer the back focus problem. Tell them you want the upgrade too. They should be OK (at least in France they are). You will just lose the camera for a week or two...
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #11
Trustee

Who EVER heard of such a thing...
This makes NO sense.

I would of "hands down" returned the camera and said it is NOT compatible with the 32GB cards they claimed are compatible.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #12
Major Player

In Canada that will be cost you $100 courtesy of Sony Canada, if you intend on keeping your warranty valid. This is straight from Sony Broadcast Pro dealers, most of whom are not even aware that the Ex1 firmware is now at 1.11 and required to work with the new 32Gig cards and hard drive. "Hear no evil, See no evil, Speak no evil"
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #13
Trustee

That is ludicrous.

I would definitely not stand for that.
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Sony sucks period and this is just pretty par for the course from them. I just hope some of how they've dealt with the 32GB/firmware upgrade here gets a wider audience.

You may recall that the Sony Premium support expert who took my call and told me they couldn't take my camera for firmware upgrade because it was "physically damaged" (the external mic holder had snapped off when the supplied camera bag brushed against the mic that was installed in it). He assured me that the upgrade was only needed for the hard disk unit and NOT the 32GB card.

It's now a week after my dealer rep returned from vacation and no response to my "I can't get my camera upgraded because Sony won't take it. Can you help?" emails.

Of course the main reason the external mic holder snapped off is because the supplied mic from the "professional broadcast dealer" was too big/heavy for it. The fact that the wretched microphone, sold as part of a custom EX1 package, showed up in the frame at wide angle settings should have alerted me to the sort of professionalism to expect from this "professional broadcast dealer". I guess it's another sign of Sony's own professionalism in selecting who they allow to sell their "professional" products.

The only light at the end of the tunnel for me is that if I take a day off work and travel to an official Sony Repair Centre (some distance from my home in central London and my place of work in Kingston) I can try and get a new external mic holder fitted for a fee (if Sony Premiere Support can be believed). Then I can take another day off work to collect it and then Sony say they WILL take it for a free firmware upgrade so long as I get it to them before the end of October. Of course I won't have my camera for quite a while at a time when I need it most because I've agreed to help video a bunch of events, but heh! this is Sony, what did I expect?

I am seriously thinking of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, putting all the Sony gear on Ebay and buying a different camera from another manufacturer AND another dealer.
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Third time around for posting this, but it's gotta be said yet again:

Just a quick forum policy note -- the firmware is Sony's own intellectual property and as such they are the only entity that can rightfully distribute it. I know that some of you have offered to share the firmware with others via email, bypassing the rightful IP holder in the process.

That's illegal, but if you want you to do that, it's happily none of my business. However... you will not use my site to advertise your willingness to violate copyright law. Therefore I will withdraw from public view any post that offers to redistribute this material outside of Sony. I've just withdrawn one such post. As the forum owner, I have no choice but to look at this as a liability issue: if you want to redistribute a major corporation's intellectual property and risk the associated legal repercussions, by all means use your *own* web site for that purpose. I'll have absolutely no part of it whatsoever.

Thread stays open for now... take care,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds