Need advise ex1/ex3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 6th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need advise ex1/ex3

Im about ready to purchase the EX1 and PHU-60k in the next week at a local dealer who tells me the new batch of EX1's with firmware 1.11 will be in by the middle of the month and i want to know are all the issues with the EX1 resolved (backfocus ect). Or my other option was to get the EX3 with no PHU-60k. Ive seen the EX1 and EX3 side by side and the EX3 is a monster compared to the EX1. Please help, i need opinions
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Major Player

I selected an EX3.

That doesn't make it the right choice for anyone else, nor does it even necessarily make it the right choice for me. Ideally, I'd like both.

I wish that the EX3 were smaller, more compact. I'm going for a full shoulder-mount rig in order to go handheld. On a set of sticks, it's not a an issue, but it's heavy to hold - especially with a pro battery installed.

I'll probably use the stock lens for almost everything, so an interchangeable lens is only a small benefit (until it becomes vital to a projoect!).

The BNC connections at the rear are a big plus for larger productions, and I find myself using the new buttons/knob very frequently.

The eyepeice/lcd combo is a major design change. it is great to shoot with - in either form. It was well-designed in this sense.

But, on the flip-side of that coin, it is large and difficult (nearly impossible) to pack into a camera case smaller than a steamer trunk without putting some pressure or stress on the eyepiece. This make is difficult to travel with.

And, on the flip-side of that (I use three-sided currency), the added size/bulk will go further towards impressing clients that like to see larger, more professional-looking gear.

They way I see it:

- either is a great choice
- neither is a bad choice
- both would be ideal

Hope this helps!
Old September 6th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Ted, the EX3 looks great but the size was a concern for me
i appreciate your advise. Im am new to this forum. it is a great resource.
Old September 6th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

EX1 v EX3

Joe,

I agree with everything Ted has written (although I don't use the BNC connectors) as I've worked briefly with both as recently as this week.

EX3 certainly gets you noticed (which can be a bad thing in certain situations but a good thing on a corporate shoot). Scope etc. is superb for outside work. Inability to fold away the LCD is not superb at all. In fact it's a pain to pack (mine lives in a Petrol HDV-PMW Roller Bag), leaving little room for much else - see my pictures of that elsewhere on here. It's certainly a heavy camera! Lense is superb - I suspect I'll never put another one on for quite a while - but it's nice to know I can.

My mates EX1 is much more "handleable" and can be put into those places I'll struggle with EX3 as it's so much smaller (and easy to pack). However, it's not anywhere near as ergonomically nice as the EX3 in most respects.

Neither is better, they just excel at slightly different things and different price points. Picture quality is identical (my mate would claim his produces better pics than mine as he's had 8 months to get to know it and I've only had 1 !....or maybe he'd just claim he was a better videographer).
Old September 6th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Just sold my ex1 today. Purchased an ex3 on tuesday. It is a much larger camera... definitely would not fit (with viewfinder) in the same bag I was using for my ex1. I used to shoot with ikegami's and Panasonic shoulder mounted cameras and the ex3 is inbetween those and the ex1.

the buttons i feel are laid out much better and, once I commit them to memory i wont have to look at what button I am pressing. The viewfinder is amazing and I can live with it's mammoth size. the shoulder mount extends and eliminates, for me, the need for an aftermarket shoulder brace. I don't really care about the phu60 because I believe other manufacturers will come out with better, if not, cheaper solutions.

The ex3 is definitely more Pro issue looking, if that matters.

I bought the Kata bp 502 to lug it around in... and although it's larger than I like, It pretty much holds everything in my kit... the fact that it rolls was bonus cause it is huge.... but the camera fits nicely and seems well protected.

I like knowing that I can go into a multicam/studio situation also.

I am not planning on changing the lens anytime soon... but it's nice to know i can rent a longer lens if needed.

my two cents
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ted, Andy, Greg thank you all for the input,
I realy liked the EX3, again size was an issue. gonna take one more trip to the dealer and have another look. The dealer did say i could rent each one for a day and that he would
credit me the rental towards my purchase. I probably wont use the bnc connectors much either and will be useing mostly the existing lens. But i do have Nikon glass from my D300 that i may want to try sometime in the near future.
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #7
Major Player

I just think with the EX-3, they got it right.

It's as close to the best camera you will need for some to come. I used to rent the EX-1 and it's a brick. Yes, they both have the same image - but the Ex-3 is a better camera to use.
The buttons positions are perfect, balance is fine and the viewfinder ... five stars.

For me it was no contest - I bought the EX-3.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #8
Major Player

I like the EX1 smaller size. I travel alot I always carry my cam on board and place it infront of my seat. I use a Mono Pod if I am doing to do hand held shots and a tripod with rollers for stationary shots so holding the cam is no big issue for me. Just purchase a second EX1 recently. If you have a need to use different lens and most of the pro lens that I have priced cost more than my EX1 out of my budget for now. I would go with the EX3. I plan to purchase a Letus35 Extreme For my EX1 the clips that I have seen here look amazing....I might get an EX3 as a third cam later ..LOL .. Its al really based on what you have a budget for.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds